Turn on thread page Beta

Are these subjects demanding when taking it for GCSE? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to choose my GCSE for Year 9. I am thinking of taking these subjects but I'm not sure which are more demanding, to see whether I can do them. These subjects I wish to take are (3 extra GCSE's) Computer Science, Design & Technology and Economics.

ReputationRep:
    You can do economics at GCSEs these days? Wow
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing computer science - some parts of the content is hard

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's are not that demanding in general. I am in year 11 and I am fine. It only becomes demanding when the teacher is behind on the course, you haven't written revision notes and what not

ReputationRep:
    Name:  feds.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  80.5 KBHere is an example of what you have to do for computer science (this is a screenshot from my classwork)

ReputationRep:
    Sport studies was quite demanding. The biology needed is probably a bit more complex than GCSE biology. However saying that I loved it and got an A*
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoneSurvivor)
    Name:  feds.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  80.5 KBHere is an example of what you have to do for computer science (this is a screenshot from my classwork)
    I only understand a few bits of it as I am in Year 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoneSurvivor)
    I'm doing computer science - some parts of the content is hard
    Is it easy to pick up what they are teaching you?

ReputationRep:
    Economics-not really just common sense needed. I personally have not taken it, but I know others who have. I get a lot of "its super boring" but whatever.

Design Tech-depends which one you pick, I don't think the new spec has coursework. For mine (2018 Product Design GCSE exams) AQA was 60% and it was VERY demanding if you were not organised nor up to date. I'm in this category ;c Otherwise there's a lot of memorisation involved-but that means lots of easy recall questions on the Exam!

Computer Science is quite difficult or rather can be difficult if you don't understand it. Lot and lots if key words and the way of thinking (if that makes sense) changes, especially when it comes to coding. When you get your head round it however, it becomes much easier to understand. Some parts are really demanding and others are common sense/easy application questions.

ReputationRep:
    Take Computer Science if you are passionate about it as it is a nice one to have however if you are not really interested you will struggle.
    Economics? I wish I had the chance to take that when I was taking GCSE;s aha..
    I did engineering which is probably similar to DT, A lot of people expected it to be easy however this was a lot harder than I expected and I only got a C despite getting A*'s in most other places.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    computer science is difficult- i'm taking it and i kinda regret it but if you like the subject then go for it. just make sure you understand programming and algorithms. theory isn't too bad, but the coding for me is a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. They sound like a nice interesting mix of subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Economics-not really just common sense needed. I personally have not taken it, but I know others who have. I get a lot of "its super boring" but whatever.

Design Tech-depends which one you pick, I don't think the new spec has coursework. For mine (2018 Product Design GCSE exams) AQA was 60% and it was VERY demanding if you were not organised nor up to date. I'm in this category ;c Otherwise there's a lot of memorisation involved-but that means lots of easy recall questions on the Exam!

Computer Science is quite difficult or rather can be difficult if you don't understand it. Lot and lots if key words and the way of thinking (if that makes sense) changes, especially when it comes to coding. When you get your head round it however, it becomes much easier to understand. Some parts are really demanding and others are common sense/easy application questions.
    Thank You for your reply. They don't have any coursework for DT anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by showaeski)
    Not at all. They sound like a nice interesting mix of subjects
    Thanks

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.