Have your say: Why now is the best time to start revising Watch

Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Here's where you can post a comment about our Why now is the best time to start revising article.

Read the full Why now is the best time to start revising article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

AT-2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey there, I’ve started revision this half term, especially because I have mocks in two weeks. I’ve been through all the content for all my subjects and feel like I have a head start, I understand a large quantity of the information so I feel extremely relieved. I’m the type of guy who prepares in advance for nearly everything, I’m that guy who brings 10 packets of crisps, 5 drinks and 2 torches to a two-day camping trip, haha. And so, I’m gonna be revising non stop a month or two before the exams. February onwards, I’m hoping to invest 2 hours of revision every weekday and at least 8 hours on weekends in total. Good luck guys.
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The earliest time possible.
zahi_b
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aseeb Tariq)
Hey there, I’ve started revision this half term, especially because I have mocks in two weeks. I’ve been through all the content for all my subjects and feel like I have a head start, I understand a large quantity of the information so I feel extremely relieved. I’m the type of guy who prepares in advance for nearly everything, I’m that guy who brings 10 packets of crisps, 5 drinks and 2 torches to a two-day camping trip, haha. And so, I’m gonna be revising non stop a month or two before the exams. February onwards, I’m hoping to invest 2 hours of revision every weekday and at least 8 hours on weekends in total. Good luck guys.
I'm complete opposite of u- someone who does everything last minute. Also, I finished my mock and got my results n got my grades- most of them around 5,6 but failed in 2 subjects and of them is RE cuz the teacher is just...she basically doesn't have any idea about this subject but they told her to teach anyway (she didn't even give us the materials needed, on the results day she even lost may paper, then found 1 week later -_-) cuz there weren't anyone else who'd teach plus I have this lesson once a week cuz I'm doing triple science. Speaking of triple science I even failed in that cuz there were some stuff (like half of a chapter) that I didn't learn much about cuz in yr 10 i was in set 2 who was slower than set 1 (triple science set) so they finished stuff before I moved up in yr 11; so had to self-teach my self- which wasn't really good and I did that like some days before my science mock- so didn't put my best effort *sigh*. Mainly, because I didn't know where to start and was always stuck about it. So, do you have any tips on how I could prepare for my GCSEs? Like, where I could start from for revising science? Materials that I have: Edmodo- my teacher put out the lessons in there also answers any question we ask, MyGCSEscience, also all the past papers printed out my teacher and specimen papers online, CGP books--> I know I have a lot of resources but I'm not making use of and still being so use less; but I am REALLY stuck on how to start revising or learn for some of the stuff. PLEASE help me out on how I should start. Thanks. Sorry for the long ramble.
AT-2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I’m doing double science AQA, and the most helpful thing for me is answering and memorising the answers (Both in my head) to the questions at the end of each topic in the CGP book. I’d advise you to thoroughly read the book, if you find something confusing, read it again the next day. There’s also a great channel (with triple science stuff) on YouTube called ‘freesciencelessons’, it’s really helpful, especially when you are struggling to grasp a confusing concept/practical. If I were in your position, I’d likely ask other classmates for help if I got stuck or if I was curious as to what their revision timetable was and what content they are learning at home.
username3031792
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve kind of started revising now , aiming to do about 15 hours a week. I’m not very good a revising after school cause I’m quite busy and I just want to relax so end up doing nothing during the week and having to do HOURS over the weekend as well as all the homework I’ve got to catch up on I did a fair amount of work over the half term but wanted to do so much more so was a bit disappointed but everyone at school had done none so it wasn’t too bad. At the moment , finishing off my notes and some subjects , like sciences , maths and English, doing practice papers and essays
username3031792
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zahi_b)
I'm complete opposite of u- someone who does everything last minute. Also, I finished my mock and got my results n got my grades- most of them around 5,6 but failed in 2 subjects and of them is RE cuz the teacher is just...she basically doesn't have any idea about this subject but they told her to teach anyway (she didn't even give us the materials needed, on the results day she even lost may paper, then found 1 week later -_-) cuz there weren't anyone else who'd teach plus I have this lesson once a week cuz I'm doing triple science. Speaking of triple science I even failed in that cuz there were some stuff (like half of a chapter) that I didn't learn much about cuz in yr 10 i was in set 2 who was slower than set 1 (triple science set) so they finished stuff before I moved up in yr 11; so had to self-teach my self- which wasn't really good and I did that like some days before my science mock- so didn't put my best effort *sigh*. Mainly, because I didn't know where to start and was always stuck about it. So, do you have any tips on how I could prepare for my GCSEs? Like, where I could start from for revising science? Materials that I have: Edmodo- my teacher put out the lessons in there also answers any question we ask, MyGCSEscience, also all the past papers printed out my teacher and specimen papers online, CGP books--> I know I have a lot of resources but I'm not making use of and still being so use less; but I am REALLY stuck on how to start revising or learn for some of the stuff. PLEASE help me out on how I should start. Thanks. Sorry for the long ramble.
Save my exams , you have to pay for mark schemes but well worth it . About 50 exams for each subject
Flying Turtle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would've started revising from the beginning of the school year.
bendobbo01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm like on the border of top set and middle set, and i'm in all of the top sets, however I am nowhere near the intelligence of the rest of my classmates, so I think now is best to start revising. When you are pushing for a B/C and the rest of the class are going for an A it gets slightly worrying.
ArishaMehmood787
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I've already started making revision notes as I go along due to having mocks every other month
So ….
Mark59
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You all should have started in early Jan. so you if you did not you really need to get a move on. PS Calling them the 'summer exams' is wishful thing. Many A levels are now in May - just over two months away.
Charlotte LG
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Why is now the best time to start revising? I think it’s because:
1. You can go through all the material you have learnt throughout the year and see what you need to look over a bit more or what you don’t understand
2. You will have plenty of time to ask teachers to go through anything you are unsure of
3. It will reduce stress, if you start later you’re more likely to feel stressed
I hope everyone is getting on alright with revision and good luck with any exams coming up 😊
Omega01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I also think it's good starting now since you realise that you've been slacking and put the blinders on and get stuff done.
If you take subjects like biology, chemistry, psychology or maths (not sure about physics as I don't do it), you can pick of set of summary questions to do each day and at this rate you should be able to cover all of the content before the exams. It's just that extra added security that you've gone over things.
Tinashe Mutize
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Fox Corner)
Here's where you can post a comment about our Why now is the best time to start revising article.

Read the full Why now is the best time to start revising article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
that is a very wise decision but what do you do then when you fail to adibe by your plan maybe due to reasons that are beyond your control.............and distractions are very common....PLEASE HELP
AliceV_647
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Mark59)
You all should have started in early Jan. so you if you did not you really need to get a move on. PS Calling them the 'summer exams' is wishful thing. Many A levels are now in May - just over two months away.
This is not helpful to tell people! Nothing anyone can do about it now...

I'm currently in year 13 and have only just started knuckling down to revision. I'm very stressed about it, but I've planned it out and it's definitely possible.

For any GCSE students stressing out on here: Don't worry! You definitely don't have to start revision in January to be successful in May/June. I started properly revising for mine in around Easter, and I came out with straight A*s. It's definitely a good idea to start as early as possible though - everyone is different, and you'll be less stressed if you start earlier.
Mark59
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
A levels are much deeper and harder than GCSEs, at least the real A levels. Start revising AND exam questions practice now, or kiss your dreams goodbye.
AliceV_647
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
A levels are much deeper and harder than GCSEs, at least the real A levels. Start revising AND exam questions practice now, or kiss your dreams goodbye.
We are already aware of that thank you Mark! Funnily enough, as current A level students who have also recently experienced GCSEs, we are well aware of the huge jump between the two examination levels and do NOT need to be told that A levels are harder.

I have been using exam questions to revise throughout the year for class tests (and the odd spot of A level revision), and as I've already said I'm acutely aware of the fact that I need to really start properly revising now. I appreciate that you may be trying to help rather than scare, but using dramatic phrases (such as 'kiss your dreams goodbye') is in fact extremely unhelpful and will only add to the anxiety of students on here (including me).

(P.S. This isn't hate, just want to stop the spread of stress!)
Mark59
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Depending on the subject and possibly exam board, use the mark schemes that go with each paper. And you could also ask your teachers to pass on the 'report of the examinor' which they can access on their login section of the exam board website
Boss_Rhythm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Day before revision gets you an A
Months before revision gets you an A*
Anything between gets you A or lower

Therefore, which sounds most practical? :rolleyes:
AliceV_647
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Depending on the subject and possibly exam board, use the mark schemes that go with each paper. And you could also ask your teachers to pass on the 'report of the examinor' which they can access on their login section of the exam board website
I have been - mark schemes are vital for revision (especially for biology!), and examiner reports are incredibly helpful. Luckily, as I'm with AQA for all 3 subjects, the examiner's reports are available to students too on the website. Thanks though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (3)
42.86%
No (4)
57.14%
Don't know (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise