Turn on thread page Beta

Hey,
    I've recently been in a long-term relationship and we broke up just before Valentines. I am so upset and don't really know what to do about it. I was going to break up with him because he hadn't been treating me right or caring about me or giving me love and attention. Then when it came to it, he did the noble thing and broke up for me as I was so upset and emotional. He told me I deserved so much better and that he couldn't give me what I deserved.

Because this had happened just before Valentine's I had already bought gifts for him. I gave them to him and since breaking up he has been super frosty and cold and snappy with me.

The most annoying part about breaking up was the fact that I can't give him all the love and care in the world anymore. My friend told me that I need to stop crossing oceans for him if he doesn't step over a puddle for me.

I don't know what to do. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    You were already planning on breaking up with him for not treating you right so why are you getting upset over him? If he did the right thing and broke up with you, don't look back and move on.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get what the problem is here. You wanted to break up, you've broken up.

(Original post by GreenBell)
    You were already planning on breaking up with him for not treating you right so why are you getting upset over him? If he did the right thing and broke up with you, don't look back and move on.
    Because I really didn't want to break up, I still love him. But he just wasn't putting the effort in. And he wasn't willing to either

ReputationRep:
    the first thing would be to talk with him and tell him, that you dislike the way he has been treating you, you should also tell him that you are letting him go.

yoyr friend is right, he obviously doesn't like you as much as you like him. use this as an opportunity to have fun with your friends. go out and do something exciting that he would never had liked you doing. have fun.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    oh dosent matter if someone broken up with you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Because I really didn't want to break up, I still love him. But he just wasn't putting the effort in. And he wasn't willing to either
    Yes, but he's not treating you right. You already know that which is why you were planning on breaking up with him. Do you really want to go back to someone who treated you badly or would you rather move on and find someone who will actually respect and treat you better?

(Original post by GreenBell)
    Yes, but he's not treating you right. You already know that which is why you were planning on breaking up with him. Do you really want to go back to someone who treated you badly or would you rather move on and find someone who will actually respect and treat you better?
    You are right and I know that it's just what to do in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    It's done, move on. (Even though I don't know what it's like)

ReputationRep:
    In the meantime, go swimming to clear your thoughts & mind.
    Or hang out with your friends more often. Do activities that keep your mind busy.

ReputationRep:
    My friend told me that I need to stop crossing oceans for him if he doesn't step over a puddle for me.
    Listen to your friend, that's some pretty good advice. I understand how difficult it must be right now, but please think about this rationally and have some self-respect. If he is not or was not prepared to make the effort, it's not your job to put in twice the amount to make it work. It's 50/50 or it's nothing.

I would personally advise to go no contact until the wounds are healed between you both.

ReputationRep:
    I like that oceans quote
    that was good

ReputationRep:
    You are right and I know that it's just what to do in the meantime.
    You won't regret it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Keep yourself busy and let things calm. Avoid contact for a bit. It'll help you become independent singleton again plus allow you to realise that it was the right move in the long term. If you have a pot of honey you're not meant to eat it, the best way not to is it is stay away from it. If you start dipping your finger in just to try it you'll keep going back for more and ultimately fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Keep yourself busy and let things calm. Avoid contact for a bit. It'll help you become independent singleton again plus allow you to realise that it was the right move in the long term. If you have a pot of honey you're not meant to eat it, the best way not to is it is stay away from it. If you start dipping your finger in just to try it you'll keep going back for more and ultimately fail.
    Why do I suddenly want some honey?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.