Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do I quit procrastination? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I find that I keep watching stupid youtube videos or 'surf the web' instead of doing homework and revising. Even if I try to focus I feel this urge to get distracted. I hate the fact that I waste so much time and I get so stressed out but I cannot help it. I feel that I need to feel the pressure to really motivate myself to do something so I end up doing work at the last moment. I know this is super ineffective and I waste so much precious time. Even though I don't have my phone with me when I work, I use my iPad and computer as distractions, however I need them as study resources. I end up getting angry and frustrated which can then affect others around me negatively. I try writing lists and To-dos and even though I've watched multiple study-with-mes and self help/motivational videos nothing seems to work. Is there anything I can do to organize my life better, sort out my priorities and get stuff done so that I have free time at the end? Any responses are highly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    there is an app called: Flipd. it locks you out of your phone for the desired amount of time. great if you want to do work. i set the timer for an hour of a time and i get an hour's work done because there are no distractions. just remember to turn on aeroplane mode since notifications can be intrusive.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Sign on the dotted line

ReputationRep:
    Try and split your work into really reasonably sized chunks. If you plan to work for 30 minutes and then allow yourself 2 minutes of 'distraction' (check phone, google something etc) and then go back to work. Whenever I think of something I want to look up / see etc when I'm studying, I write it down on a post it and then once my 30mins or 45 mins are up, I can look for it. And then every couple of hours have a 10 -15 minute break.
    Also, after each break switch to a new topic. Makes it much more engaging, and gives your brain a better chance of remembering each topic if you only study a small amount at a time.
    Engaging revision websites can also be great, as they mean you're on the internet but not being distracted. www.senecalearning.com is meant to be good (they're starting to roll out a bit of early access and everyone who's used it hypes it massively) and things like quizlet can be alright for testing.
    Hope this useful - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MimiSeneca)
    Try and split your work into really reasonably sized chunks. If you plan to work for 30 minutes and then allow yourself 2 minutes of 'distraction' (check phone, google something etc) and then go back to work. Whenever I think of something I want to look up / see etc when I'm studying, I write it down on a post it and then once my 30mins or 45 mins are up, I can look for it. And then every couple of hours have a 10 -15 minute break.
    Also, after each break switch to a new topic. Makes it much more engaging, and gives your brain a better chance of remembering each topic if you only study a small amount at a time.
    Engaging revision websites can also be great, as they mean you're on the internet but not being distracted. www.senecalearning.com is meant to be good (they're starting to roll out a bit of early access and everyone who's used it hypes it massively) and things like quizlet can be alright for testing.
    Hope this useful - good luck!
    Hey, thanks so much. It sounds like the pomodoro technique which I'll be sure to try out! Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    A vote here for pomodoro technique, it helped me massively. I didn't think it would as it's so simple but it does work, the very first one is the hardest, and it's also hard to stop when you 'break time' comes up sometimes but it's important that you follow it and stop work immediately. You find that you end study sessions still wanting more and feeling positive rather than exhausted and deflated and it sets a nice pattern which makes it easier to come back to study the next time.

Try to do one or two today, - post back here when you have done it, i'll be checking back to see if you got anything done! Don't overdo it though, and you must reward yourself (afterwards) with some surfing and a congratulatory post on here saying you achieved it. 25 or 30 minutes on a timer and see how much you can get through in that time, then breathe .

Go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnalouise99)
    A vote here for pomodoro technique, it helped me massively. I didn't think it would as it's so simple but it does work, the very first one is the hardest, and it's also hard to stop when you 'break time' comes up sometimes but it's important that you follow it and stop work immediately. You find that you end study sessions still wanting more and feeling positive rather than exhausted and deflated and it sets a nice pattern which makes it easier to come back to study the next time.

Try to do one or two today, - post back here when you have done it, i'll be checking back to see if you got anything done! Don't overdo it though, and you must reward yourself (afterwards) with some surfing and a congratulatory post on here saying you achieved it. 25 or 30 minutes on a timer and see how much you can get through in that time, then breathe .

Go!
    Having tried Pomodoro before, I know its amazing capabilities! Today, I used a pomodoro timer and got some work done. I wished I did it earlier in the day though, so tomorrow I'll get straight down to work. I do find that you need to be strict on how you do it (25 mins of completely uninterrupted work and then a solid 5 minute break (no more)), repeated 4 times and then restart the cycle after 15 mins break. Although I'm not completely satisfied with how I did the technique, as I started listening to music and sightly drifted at some points, I'll aim to improve and hopefully update on how I did tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm really grateful for your support!

ReputationRep:
    Another vote for the pomodoro technique... I tend to do 25 minutes of work and then spend 5 minutes having a break. Then after 3-4 chunks of study I take a longer break of about an hour or I’ll finish for the day. Usually those short bursts of focussed study are far more productive than when I just plonk myself in front of my books for hours on end with no plan.
    Remember to reward yourself

ReputationRep:
    Ah, you actually got something done, that's great! Today's not a bad day at all, don't be hard on yourself unnecessarily - you took action and achieved something small. You could have said 'sod it' and written today off as useless, but you didn't. Lots of small things add up to something big, keep it up and build on it tomorrow... they say that it takes 21 days to build a new habit - make this one your goal, you'll get there one little bit at a time and post again if you need motivation or a kick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnalouise99)
    Ah, you actually got something done, that's great! Today's not a bad day at all, don't be hard on yourself unnecessarily - you took action and achieved something small. You could have said 'sod it' and written today off as useless, but you didn't. Lots of small things add up to something big, keep it up and build on it tomorrow... they say that it takes 21 days to build a new habit - make this one your goal, you'll get there one little bit at a time and post again if you need motivation or a kick!
    Thanks Donna!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of nice tips here) I came across an educational article about procrastination recently. It talks about the scientific approaches to the nature of procrastination. I think it helps when you know where the roots came from: https://www.actitime.com/productivit...astination.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igorzycho)
    I find that I keep watching stupid youtube videos or 'surf the web' instead of doing homework and revising. Even if I try to focus I feel this urge to get distracted. I hate the fact that I waste so much time and I get so stressed out but I cannot help it. I feel that I need to feel the pressure to really motivate myself to do something so I end up doing work at the last moment. I know this is super ineffective and I waste so much precious time. Even though I don't have my phone with me when I work, I use my iPad and computer as distractions, however I need them as study resources. I end up getting angry and frustrated which can then affect others around me negatively. I try writing lists and To-dos and even though I've watched multiple study-with-mes and self help/motivational videos nothing seems to work. Is there anything I can do to organize my life better, sort out my priorities and get stuff done so that I have free time at the end? Any responses are highly appreciated.
    Hi, I know this thread is 2 months old, but I found this program called Cold Turkey that blocks websites for times you set in a timetable-like format (or timer) and you can't get around it unless you go through a long, complicated process to disable it (you can even set it to block parts of YouTube, or all of YouTube except channels that you choose, for example).

It's been really helpful for me cause I physically can't do anything about it and when I open a page and it comes up with a blocked message, it really reminds me what I should be doing and I get back to work. If you're still struggling, this would be quite likely to help you! (The "Pro" (not free) version also lets you block applications on your PC.)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.