Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I've read a mixture of answers regarding this so just want to see if anyone knows. When you get student loans such as maintenance loans etc, does your universal credit deduct the payments they pay you? Because if so, I wouldn't say it's entirely fair seeing as you have to pay these loans back. I am just wondering if anyone knows
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    UC should disregard a portion of your loan called the Special Support Element, they should then also disregard £110.00 per assessment period, but then after that, yes, they will deduct it pound by pound.

Seems a lot of people are having trouble with UC actually disregarding the SSE, though.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by VickyD1)
    Hey everyone, I've read a mixture of answers regarding this so just want to see if anyone knows. When you get student loans such as maintenance loans etc, does your universal credit deduct the payments they pay you? Because if so, I wouldn't say it's entirely fair seeing as you have to pay these loans back. I am just wondering if anyone knows
    Hi Vicky,

The Job Centre Plus (JCP) will take into account any loans and grants, both undergraduate and postgraduate, when calculating your entitlement to benefits. Most full-time students can't claim income related benefits but you may be able to claim if you:
    • are a single parent
    • have a partner who is also a student - and one or both of you are responsible for a child
    • have a disability, and qualify for the disability premium or income related Employment and Support Allowance
    If you have a partner who is not a student and they're eligible for any income related benefits, your partner can claim on behalf of you both.

You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators.Here is a link,

http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou very muc
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Vicky,

The Job Centre Plus (JCP) will take into account any loans and grants, both undergraduate and postgraduate, when calculating your entitlement to benefits. Most full-time students can't claim income related benefits but you may be able to claim if you:
    • are a single parent
    • have a partner who is also a student - and one or both of you are responsible for a child
    • have a disability, and qualify for the disability premium or income related Employment and Support Allowance
    If you have a partner who is not a student and they're eligible for any income related benefits, your partner can claim on behalf of you both.

You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators.Here is a link,

http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

Thanks Rona
    Thankyou Rona, I am a single parent and I struggle without a car and two children to ferry around. That's why I was looking forward to the maintenance loan to get a runaround car to see me through. That's why I'm gutted they actually deduct your payments over it, because these loans get paid back so I don't see the issue. Very cross today i was hoping I would be able to use it towards a car. Thankyou for your responses though everyone x

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.