Turn on thread page Beta

How did you influence someone that had no benefit to them? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have been asked the following question:

"Give an example of where you influenced a specific person (not a family member or customer) to do something for you which they would not otherwise have done, and which held no particular benefit for them"

Any help?

What sort of people are they looking for if it had no benefit to them? At the minute, I work as an estate agent and so I can't use either the buyers or the sellers as they're my customers.

Certain sales are made on my getting a builder in to do certain work, but I convince the builder by saying how working for me will give them extra money etc and so thats a benefit to them?

In terms of trying to get houses through the banks, I try and convince the bank staff to pass mortgages as it helps them hit their targets etc and so that's a benefit to them.

So how do I answer this question?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    Hi all,

I have been asked the following question:

"Give an example of where you influenced a specific person (not a family member or customer) to do something for you which they would not otherwise have done, and which held no particular benefit for them"

Any help?

What sort of people are they looking for if it had no benefit to them? At the minute, I work as an estate agent and so I can't use either the buyers or the sellers as they're my customers.

Certain sales are made on my getting a builder in to do certain work, but I convince the builder by saying how working for me will give them extra money etc and so thats a benefit to them?

In terms of trying to get houses through the banks, I try and convince the bank staff to pass mortgages as it helps them hit their targets etc and so that's a benefit to them.

So how do I answer this question?
    That is an oddly worded and difficult one. I'm assuming this is for a job application in the same field? Maybe convincing someone to sell for a lower price than they wanted or to rent for a higher price?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    That is an oddly worded and difficult one. I'm assuming this is for a job application in the same field? Maybe convincing someone to sell for a lower price than they wanted or to rent for a higher price?
    No it's a data analysis role I'm applying for so it's a little confusing.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    No it's a data analysis role I'm applying for so it's a little confusing.
    So then maybe an example of using data to influence someone's decision to do something?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Which is the customer as an estate agent, the buyer or seller? It can't be both. The seller is instructing you, the buyer is the person you are selling to ie the customer.

Philosophically, you have no leverage and can't influence someone if there is no benefit to them, it would be altruism on their part. So presumably what the question means is 'no direct benefit'.

So convincing a seller to repaint a house they aren't going to live in and enjoy, and that isn't going to get them a higher price, but might get them a quicker sale might be an example.

Relevant to the job might be convincing someone to meet a deadline that didn't help them, but helped the greater project.

The trick in influencing someone is to find whatever angle you can that does give them some benefit.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I often have to say “excuse me” to people on the train to work.
    I’m influencing them to move...
    It’s a specific person, standing in my way
    I don’t know them, nor are they a customer
    They move when they wouldn’t have if I hadn’t asked

Is the question trying to understand how you think? Not about the job?

Hope it helps and good luck 😀
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Alternatively - have you ever done any analysis. Published or shared it for free to a wide audience (probably by social) and had a response....

Wait a minute....

You didn’t know the answer to this very question. So you posted it on TSR.
    You influenced me (and others) not customers or family to respond at no benefit to me/us.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.