Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm from Hong Kong and is planning to apply for exchange during spring term 2019. Choices that I have are University of Gothenburg (Sweden), Leiden University (Netherlands), University of Exeter (UK), and University of East Anglia (UK). I have Gothenburg being the first choice in my mind, but is not sure about the other three choices so I hope to hear from current students
    For Leiden, I'm quite concerned about the housing issue, as I have read a lot about how students struggled to find a place to stay. I just want to know how worse is the case? Is it even harder if I'm only staying for a semester (less than 6 months)? Also, I know marijuana is legal in Netherlands, will this affects public security and stuff? And is the smell all around the city (have read that the air in Amsterdam is full of the smell of marijuana from some tourist)?
    As for UK, I'm just wondering how's the nearby area is like in Exeter and UEA and what's the difference between these two universities/cities. I've heard that racist is very common in Exeter but I guess it's everywhere so it's not really an issue? But just to play safe, I would like to know how's life there for being a minority.
    And by the way, will I be able to find a place to stay in Gothenburg easily? Cuz they don't guarantee housing either.
    I'm grateful to hear any opinions regarding the above questions and related stuff!! Thanks in advance!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi melodyhcy! It's great to hear you are considering studying abroad - that's so exciting!

So I can't speak for Exeter, but UEA is based on the edge of Norwich and is just a leisurely walk or short bus ride from the city. The surrounding area of UEA is mainly local residences populated with friendly students and families. The area has an abundance of pubs, shops, cafes, grocery shops and other services - plus a great student community!

UEA welcomes over 3,500 international students and has a thriving community on and off campus. You can find out more about being an international student at UEA here. You may also be interested in our Brilliant Abroad blog post by Gabrielle, who travelled from Hong Kong to study at our International Summer School

Norwich itself is a really friendly and lively city, with a real character all of its own. Just by walking around the centre you can see the historic reminders of its past with two cathedrals, a Norman castle and city walls, as well as its present with the stunning Millennium Library at the Forum overlooking busy shopping streets, bustling cafes and restaurants. Rated as one of the UK's safest cities, Norwich is large enough to host lots of major events, such as literary and live music festivals, but small enough for students to quickly familiarise themselves with the many shops and tourist attractions.

I've popped a link to our Student Life in Norwich and Let's Take a Tour of UEA videos below so you can see our beautiful campus and city for yourself

Let's Take a Tour
    Student Life in Norwich

Also, the Visit Norwich site should give you an idea of how busy and thriving our fine city is!

Do you have any particular questions on Norwich or UEA? I've lived around the local area next to UEA now for over five years, and studied here for three years (History BA 2015) so if you have any questions do let me know

- Laura, UEA Official Rep

ReputationRep:
    University of East Anglia thanks a lot!! Your comment is really helpful! I quite like what Norwich looks, and I'm now leaning towards UEA over Exeter since it seems more diverse haha. Just one more question, if I want to travel to Scotland, is Exeter or Norwich more convenient? Or is it more or less the same? Thanks again!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by melodyhcy)
    University of East Anglia thanks a lot!! Your comment is really helpful! I quite like what Norwich looks, and I'm now leaning towards UEA over Exeter since it seems more diverse haha. Just one more question, if I want to travel to Scotland, is Exeter or Norwich more convenient? Or is it more or less the same? Thanks again!
    Glad I could help melodyhcy UEA is an incredible place to study, I had an amazing time here!

Ooh, good question! It is pretty much the same - you can get direct flights from both Norwich and Exeter airports direct to Aberdeen or Edinburgh. Norwich to Scotland takes about 3 hours and 15 minutes, and Exeter to Scotland takes about 3 hours and 30 minutes

ReputationRep:
    University of East Anglia I think I'm putting UEA as my second choice! Many thanks!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by melodyhcy)
    University of East Anglia I think I'm putting UEA as my second choice! Many thanks!
    That's brilliant to hear melodyhcy!:banana:

Glad I could help and feel free to message me if you ever have any questions on UEA at all!

ReputationRep:
    Sweden for the boys, Netherlands for the waffles, uk for the tea

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.