Turn on thread page Beta

I don’t have much experience so which shops give out jobs to the inexperienced? except food shops. How much work experience are they looking for? How many times a week? For how long? I’m so desperate! I’m looking to look for one after june because i’m going sweden in june so there’d be no point for me to applying right now. But i did before and I kept getting rejected. My cv is alright.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Lots of places give jobs to people without experience. Just keep looking and applying online and handing your CV out. Work experience requests vary depending on the job role and the company. Times a week depends on your schedule and the job role. How long again depends on the company and job role.

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Lots of places give jobs to people without experience. Just keep looking and applying online and handing your CV out. Work experience requests vary depending on the job role and the company. Times a week depends on your schedule and the job role. How long again depends on the company and job role.
    I want to work in retail though. And they’ve been rejecting me! I have 4-5 days experience in a charity shop. Do they want me to do more?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I want to work in retail though. And they’ve been rejecting me! I have 4-5 days experience in a charity shop. Do they want me to do more?
    I got my first job in retail with 0 experience. You haven't applied everywhere so just keep applying and something will come up.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I got my first job in retail with 0 experience. You haven't applied everywhere so just keep applying and something will come up.
    Do you know what shops in particular don’t need one? I’ve applied to primark, wh smith, new look, john lewis, lolas cupcake! And more
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you know what shops in particular don’t need one? I’ve applied to primark, wh smith, new look, john lewis, lolas cupcake! And more
    No I don't know specifically sorry

ReputationRep:
    The way you have to think of it is that for every position you apply for, there will be hundreds of other applicants (especially for such well known retailers like you’ve mentioned) so if someone applies who has worked in another shop for 5 years or even for their brand previously then they will always take them on. So because of this competition, you are likely to be accepted when the competition is not comparable to your experience, so they will then choose you as their best applicant if that makes sense. It is impossible to predict when that will be the case so you will just have to keep applying, possibly for hundreds of positions, and hope that nobody with more experience applies for the same role!

Good luck! I’m sure you will get there eventually, you just have to be patient and stay determined!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I agree.
    Try mcdonalds, they take on a lot of students and they dont tend to require much experience. Its a good starting point and their hours are pretty flexible as well.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.