The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth University applicants' thread 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dreamerz11
I have a few (sorry but I really want the opinion of an ex student 😂):

1.) which accommodation did you stay in for your first year and how easy was it to find a new place after?
2.) how many people took your course?
3.) what was the teaching like? (How many contact hours were there? Was there extra help if you needed it?)
4.) what was the facilities for biological science specifically and what trip did you go on (if you did go on one?)
5.) other than the course, what was the best thing about studying at Bournemouth

Sorry, that’s a lot!

Don't be silly it's fine!!

1) I actually missed my offer at a different university and so ended up coming to Bournemouth through clearing. I started off in a unilet (a really great place if you want a house experience/have a car/ want to be more in the local community), but moved to Lyme Regis Halls later in the year. I really liked Lyme, it's very homely and quite modern, and it's always a bonus to have an ensuite in any room you pick! Also it has a really nice common room.

In terms of finding accommodation for 2nd/3rd year it was really easy. I just found a group of friends and we started looking in the local area, there are lots of estate agents advertising student places. Most students will move to either Winton or Charminster which are great student areas, both with highstreets and pubs, and not far from uni.

2) I dont actually know how many people took my course. If I were to take a guess, I would say we started off with between 50-80, but as people realise uni isnt for them they drop out (this is the same for any course at any uni, the course size gets smaller as the years go on)

3) Teaching was generally good. Contact hours were good across 1st and 2nd year, 3rd year you have less but that's because a lot of your 'free time' is actually supposed to be dedicated to your dissertation.

The great thing about the Biological Sciences course at Bournemouth is that you can really customise it. You can pick the majority of your modules, meaning you can really decide whether you're more interested in human based sciences or environmental sciences.

4) (Not sure if you've been on an open day yet but??) Our course is based in Christchurch House at Talbot Campus, which is great because this is the majority of the uni is based. There are science labs and computer labs just for our faculty, but general lectures take place all across the uni so you're very integrated in the campus.

There were options for trips on a few of the environmental modules in second year, but I didn't go as I didn't study these modules so I'm not too sure about that! I know the people that did go said they thought it was fun.

5) Best Things about Bournemouth:

- The ability to really tailor the course to your interests, it makes you so much more employable for placement/graduate positions

-Speaking of placements, every course at BU has the opportunity to go on placement. I didn't choose to do one but a lot of people on my course did, it's really valuable to have the option there.

-First year halls accommodation is great across the board, all rooms have ensuites and are very modern. You're right in the hub of town, with so much closeby. If you like nightlife, everyone will tell you Bournemouth has some of the best in the country (I would have to agree). There is a lot to do in town though if you don't wanna drink/party too!

-We have a great student union with lots to get involved in, so really great for building your CV.

-We're right by the sea, awesome in the summer I can't lie!

If you want me to elaborate more on anything let me know :smile:
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by dreamerz11
I have a few (sorry but I really want the opinion of an ex student 😂):

1.) which accommodation did you stay in for your first year and how easy was it to find a new place after?
2.) how many people took your course?
3.) what was the teaching like? (How many contact hours were there? Was there extra help if you needed it?)
4.) what was the facilities for biological science specifically and what trip did you go on (if you did go on one?)
5.) other than the course, what was the best thing about studying at Bournemouth

Sorry, that’s a lot!

Hey,
I'm a current student at BU, I don't study Biological Sciences but I can help with some of the general questions.
1) For my first year, I stayed in a Unilet and I found it quite easy to get a place for second year, as long as you are organised and time it well, you will be fine :smile:
2) for my course (Communication and Media) there were a good few hundred
3) teaching was good, the only thing I would mention is that, especially for the first year, you are only at uni for three/four days a week and they aren't full days but that will be the same for all unis I believe
4) can't answer this one I'm afraid!
5) the best thing about studying in Bournemouth is you get the best of both worlds - you can walk into town and go shopping or go for somewhere to eat and then walk a little further and watch the sunset on the beach.
Hope that helps!
Alice :smile:
Original post by magicus158
Don't be silly it's fine!!

1) I actually missed my offer at a different university and so ended up coming to Bournemouth through clearing. I started off in a unilet (a really great place if you want a house experience/have a car/ want to be more in the local community), but moved to Lyme Regis Halls later in the year. I really liked Lyme, it's very homely and quite modern, and it's always a bonus to have an ensuite in any room you pick! Also it has a really nice common room.

In terms of finding accommodation for 2nd/3rd year it was really easy. I just found a group of friends and we started looking in the local area, there are lots of estate agents advertising student places. Most students will move to either Winton or Charminster which are great student areas, both with highstreets and pubs, and not far from uni.

2) I dont actually know how many people took my course. If I were to take a guess, I would say we started off with between 50-80, but as people realise uni isnt for them they drop out (this is the same for any course at any uni, the course size gets smaller as the years go on)

3) Teaching was generally good. Contact hours were good across 1st and 2nd year, 3rd year you have less but that's because a lot of your 'free time' is actually supposed to be dedicated to your dissertation.

The great thing about the Biological Sciences course at Bournemouth is that you can really customise it. You can pick the majority of your modules, meaning you can really decide whether you're more interested in human based sciences or environmental sciences.

4) (Not sure if you've been on an open day yet but??) Our course is based in Christchurch House at Talbot Campus, which is great because this is the majority of the uni is based. There are science labs and computer labs just for our faculty, but general lectures take place all across the uni so you're very integrated in the campus.

There were options for trips on a few of the environmental modules in second year, but I didn't go as I didn't study these modules so I'm not too sure about that! I know the people that did go said they thought it was fun.

5) Best Things about Bournemouth:

- The ability to really tailor the course to your interests, it makes you so much more employable for placement/graduate positions

-Speaking of placements, every course at BU has the opportunity to go on placement. I didn't choose to do one but a lot of people on my course did, it's really valuable to have the option there.

-First year halls accommodation is great across the board, all rooms have ensuites and are very modern. You're right in the hub of town, with so much closeby. If you like nightlife, everyone will tell you Bournemouth has some of the best in the country (I would have to agree). There is a lot to do in town though if you don't wanna drink/party too!

-We have a great student union with lots to get involved in, so really great for building your CV.

-We're right by the sea, awesome in the summer I can't lie!

If you want me to elaborate more on anything let me know :smile:

ah sorry, didn't see that you had already answered the questions! :smile:
Course: advertising

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: postgraduate

Offer made: condition but I’ve been accepted

Are you coming to an open day? If I can make it around work

Favourite hobby? Going to the beach/paddle boarding

Any questions? Just want to meet people before the course starts in September as I’ve already moved to Bournemouth!
Original post by siandavey
Course: advertising

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: postgraduate

Offer made: condition but I’ve been accepted

Are you coming to an open day? If I can make it around work

Favourite hobby? Going to the beach/paddle boarding

Any questions? Just want to meet people before the course starts in September as I’ve already moved to Bournemouth!

Hey!
That's great news! You'll love the beaches in Bournemouth for your hobbies! Keep an eye out on this thread as you may find people who are studying the same course as you! If you can't make it to an open day we have a 'virtual tour' on our website: https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/sites/all/themes/bournemouth/virtual-bu//
You should also receive emails from BU who organise events to meet people :smile:
Alice
course: BSc (Hons) Forensic Computing and security

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Undergraduate

Offer made: Conditional (Firm)

Are you coming to an open day? Been to 1

Favorite hobby? Video Games and getting drunk, preferably at the same time

Any questions? I'm a little unsure as to how to socialize outside of people I live with what clubs do you offer and how do you apply to them.
Course: Event marketing
Postgraduate
Offer made: Conditional
Open day: No
Favorite hobby: Spending time with friends and fitness
Any questions?
- Hi, I was just wondering how long it takes for the admissions office to either reject or give an unconditional offer? I sent my bachelor degree sertificate and reults for approximately four weeks ago and have still not heard anything
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jamiehalo99
course: BSc (Hons) Forensic Computing and security

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Undergraduate

Offer made: Conditional (Firm)

Are you coming to an open day? Been to 1

Favorite hobby? Video Games and getting drunk, preferably at the same time

Any questions? I'm a little unsure as to how to socialize outside of people I live with what clubs do you offer and how do you apply to them.

Hey!
So we have our own student union called SUBU and they offer lots of societies that you can join (you will probably be sent stuff via post or email about it) here is a link to the ever-growing list of societies: https://www.subu.org.uk/groups#club-society#all during the first week of uni, BU has a freshers fair and that's where you can walk round stalls and sign up to societies, or on that link you can contact the society direct and join that way!
Alice
Original post by The norwegian
Course: Event marketing
Postgraduate
Offer made: Conditional
Open day: No
Favorite hobby: Spending time with friends and fitness
Any questions?
- Hi, I was just wondering how long it takes for the admissions office to either reject or give an unconditional offer? I sent my bachelor degree sertificate and reults for approximately four weeks ago and have still not heard anything

Hey! That's great that you're coming to BU! I'm not too sure, regarding your question so i'll tag @Bournemouth University and see if they know, as well as that you can contact the admissions team via:
[email protected]
Alice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending