Turn on thread page Beta

Am I definitely straight? Sexuality Help watch

Hi,

I'm an 18 year old male and have had a few relationships with girls and I'm talking to some at the moment and I only find girls physically attractive and definitely picture myself being with them.

However, back when I was around 13/14, me and another close male friend at the time used to talk quite sexually. I think we both confused but we talked about sex acts and even engaged in some smaller ones together. Looking back I would never want to do that now and was probably just curious but engaging in it in the first place has really made me wonder.

I wouldn't want to do anything sexual with a guy now and am not attracted to them but I guess that confused me. Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    It was in the past, so forget about it and focus on your life now.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe u were just experimenting back then. You gotta try it to know you don’t like it sometimes, you know? Just do you and see how it goes
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think it helps to think of sexuality as a range, rather than a 100% solid definable thing. You might be 100% straight, or you might only be 98% straight, or 90%, or whatever. Ultimately it seems society forces us into making a definite decision, but in my experience it's much more complicated than that (for me, not necessarily everyone!)

Having said all that, i do think that experimenting with someone at the age of 13 isn't necessarily meaningful to anything you are experiencing today. You say you are not attracted to guys now and wouldn't want to do anything with them. To me that tells me you are not gay and you seem clear in your orientation from what you have posted. I wouldn't let something that happened when you were experimenting and discovering who you are affect and confuse the place you are at today and who you are as an adult... we do lots of things as children which might have no bearing at all on who we are now, to take another example - you might steal sweets but that doesn't make you contemplate being a burglar as an adult (well, it might in some i suppose!). Take it at face value and not an indepth insight into who you define yourself to be now (but by all means, if you are uncertain, experiment and see how you feel - safely!).

ReputationRep:
    When you’re a teenager everything’s a bit confused and you’re experimental and unsure about a lot of things so it’s not unusual for this sort of thing to happen in adolescence but then people decide later it’s not for them...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.