Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey anyone know much about the admissions process for this course?
    Any idea how competitive this? I am changing courses so applying via UCAS extra and was wondering if it's worth risking it or if i should apply to the Kings Liberal Arts course instead. Any information would be greatly appreciate. x

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to both King's Liberal Arts and UCL Arts and Sciences (2018 Entry)
    Got my offer for Kings, still waiting for UCL. Not sure about how competitive either of the courses are. For UCL you have to take an admissions test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lenaa)
    I've applied to both King's Liberal Arts and UCL Arts and Sciences (2018 Entry)
    Got my offer for Kings, still waiting for UCL. Not sure about how competitive either of the courses are. For UCL you have to take an admissions test.
    What did the admissions test consist of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliedixon148)
    Any idea how competitive this? I am changing courses so applying via UCAS extra and was wondering if it's worth risking it or if i should apply to the Kings Liberal Arts course instead. Any information would be greatly appreciate. x
    Hi. UCL Arts and Sciences is a pretty competitive programme (4-5 applicants per place I think). No idea about Kings Liberal Arts.

In order to apply for Arts and Sciences you also have to complete an admissions test so I would strongly advise you to get in touch with the Arts and Sciences team by email to find out whether they will be considering UCAS Extra applications - otherwise this could be a wasted choice

Hope that helps and feel free to get in touch with me if you need any more advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keeelan)
    Hi. UCL Arts and Sciences is a pretty competitive programme (4-5 applicants per place I think). No idea about Kings Liberal Arts.

In order to apply for Arts and Sciences you also have to complete an admissions test so I would strongly advise you to get in touch with the Arts and Sciences team by email to find out whether they will be considering UCAS Extra applications - otherwise this could be a wasted choice

Hope that helps and feel free to get in touch with me if you need any more advice
    Thank you for your help! I have contacted them and they are taking appliants via UCAS Extra. I'm wondering whether it's worth risking it or apply to kings instead. Predicted grades are A* A* A in english lit, maths and philosophy. I'm wouldn't be as worried about applying if i was applying with five other choices as I feel I am a pretty strong applicant just the risk involved is kinda worrying. What would your opinion be on this?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help! I have contacted them and they are taking appliants via UCAS Extra. I'm wondering whether it's worth risking it or apply to kings instead. Predicted grades are A* A* A in english lit, maths and philosophy. I'm wouldn't be as worried about applying if i was applying with five other choices as I feel I am a pretty strong applicant just the risk involved is kinda worrying. What would your opinion be on this?
    I mean as a student it's really hard for me to say... your grades are strong for sure but so are those of a lot of other candidates. I would say give it a shot because it's a great course and I really like it - have a think about which course you would prefer? Liberal Arts at King's is limited to the humanities, whereas with Arts and Sciences you have to do at least one science/maths/engineering/quantitative module each year. If that appeals to you then I would say go for Arts and Sciences for sure!

If I understand UCAS Extra correctly, you could always apply for King's later and you probably would have a very good chance of getting that since it has a lower entry requirement anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I mean as a student it's really hard for me to say... your grades are strong for sure but so are those of a lot of other candidates. I would say give it a shot because it's a great course and I really like it - have a think about which course you would prefer? Liberal Arts at King's is limited to the humanities, whereas with Arts and Sciences you have to do at least one science/maths/engineering/quantitative module each year. If that appeals to you then I would say go for Arts and Sciences for sure!

If I understand UCAS Extra correctly, you could always apply for King's later and you probably would have a very good chance of getting that since it has a lower entry requirement anyway.
    Yep could always apply later depending on vacancies. My worry is that if i apply for UCL and get rejected and then King's don't have vacancies then I may have to take a year out. I guess really I'm trying to make a risk assessment of applying for UCL as King's is probably less competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Yep could always apply later depending on vacancies. My worry is that if i apply for UCL and get rejected and then King's don't have vacancies then I may have to take a year out. I guess really I'm trying to make a risk assessment of applying for UCL as King's is probably less competitive.
    Yeah I get you, it’s a really tricky choice - glad I didn’t have to make that one...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get you, it’s a really tricky choice - glad I didn’t have to make that one...
    Do you know much about the admissions test the basc students have to take in order to get in? Would be very grateful for any info regarding this!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know much about the admissions test the basc students have to take in order to get in? Would be very grateful for any info regarding this!
    It’s been three years since I took the test so I can’t necessarily give the best account, but when I took it, we listened to four short (~30 minute) lectures from BASc core lecturers.

You could take notes throughout, and afterwards you had to answer test questions on the lectures. All the lectures surround a theme (e.g. music, sport) but they look at the theme from the perspective of different disciplines. Some of these were compulsory based on your major pathway and then you could choose some of the others to answer. The societies and cultures ones were essay-type questions.

As far as I know, the exam is now all done on a computer when you come to the selection day, so you watch the lectures and type the questions on there. Otherwise, I think it’s fairly similar to what I’ve described.

ReputationRep:
    The admissions process requires an "applicant day" where you visit and take an exam but that's pretty much it. I'd say the UCL course is nicer as it provides a wider variety of courses, since Liberal Arts at kings is mainly arts subjects -- that is, if you want the greater variety.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to continue bothering you. One last thing. Do you know if all the offers are for A* A A or if it is dependent on which pathway/modules you wish to take?
    It’s been three years since I took the test so I can’t necessarily give the best account, but when I took it, we listened to four short (~30 minute) lectures from BASc core lecturers.

You could take notes throughout, and afterwards you had to answer test questions on the lectures. All the lectures surround a theme (e.g. music, sport) but they look at the theme from the perspective of different disciplines. Some of these were compulsory based on your major pathway and then you could choose some of the others to answer. The societies and cultures ones were essay-type questions.

As far as I know, the exam is now all done on a computer when you come to the selection day, so you watch the lectures and type the questions on there. Otherwise, I think it’s fairly similar to what I’ve described.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to continue bothering you. One last thing. Do you know if all the offers are for A* A A or if it is dependent on which pathway/modules you wish to take?
    The grades in the offers are the same - the only thing that changes is which subjects you need for each pathway.

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.