Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Hang on a minute, doesn’t the wording of this bill defeat itself somewhat?

By the definition given of “Trade unions”:

“an organised association of workers in a trade, group of trades, or profession, formed to protect and further their rights and interests.”

Surely that means that the new federation is illegal under the terms of the act? It would need an exemption clause for the new federation to be a legal organisation...
    Shouldn't complain too much, at least they looked up an actual definition rather than making it us as they go along like they did when they could have condensed their definition of indoctrination right down to "teaching" without really changing anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

“an organised association of workers in a trade, group of trades, or profession, formed to protect and further their rights and interests.”

Surely that means that the new federation is illegal under the terms of the act? It would need an exemption clause for the new federation to be a legal organisation...
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Shouldn't complain too much, at least they looked up an actual definition rather than making it us as they go along like they did when they could have condensed their definition of indoctrination right down to "teaching" without really changing anything. Posted from TSR Mobile
    They did something similar in their equality act amendment as well

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

Even if I were convinced of the national security need for this (the notes don't really make an argument as to why this is the case), I don't see why banning trade unions entirely is necessary when the conduct complained of is striking; and trade unions do a hell of a lot more to support their members than strike.

Even if it were the case, it would be more appropriate to make an order to make GCHQ employees subject to the mandatory arbitration scheme I designed a couple of terms back..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Nay.

Even if I were convinced of the national security need for this (the notes don't really make an argument as to why this is the case), I don't see why banning trade unions entirely is necessary when the conduct complained of is striking; and trade unions do a hell of a lot more to support their members than strike.

Even if it were the case, it would be more appropriate to make an order to make GCHQ employees subject to the mandatory arbitration scheme I designed a couple of terms back..
    Or we find the foreign secretary effectively has a veto on all industrial action through a legally binding no disruption agreement which gives him the final say on whether any industrial action would be disruptive to the operation of CCHQ rendering this bill unnecessary unless the true goal is to kill the unions little by little.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

That's the least of the problems with this bill, but good spot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Get rid of thus unshakable jkbayner already is guckjhg steps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm suppressing a smile as I read this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This has been withdrawn.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.