Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

VM464 - Turkey Condemnation Motion watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you agree with this motion?
    As many as are of that opinion, Aye
    46.81%
    On the contrary, No
    17.02%
    Abstain
    36.17%

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    M464 - Turkey Condemnation Motion, The Hon. Saunders16 MP
    This House believes that Turkey’s offensive in Syria’s northern region, occupied by the Kurdish people and defended by the Syrian Democratic Forces, is a reprehensible attack on one of our key allies in the Middle East and that the government should immediately take action to defend them from Turkish aggression.

President Erdogan claims that the People’s Protection Units (the primary component of the Syrian Democratic Forces) has links to the banned Kurdistan Workers’ Party. However, this accusation has been denied by the People’s Protection Units and, most importantly, the United States, who they received the backing of during the successful Battle of Raqqa last year.

Noting that the Kurdish people have been pivotal in the War on Terror and that Turkey’s pretence for military action holds no legitimacy, this House calls on the government to send the British Peace Corps to northern Syria to assist the thousands of individuals who have been forced to flee. Furthermore, this House calls on the government to take diplomatic action against Turkey and calls on this country’s allies to do the same.

Sources:
    Why Turkey’s battle for northern Syria matters
    Thousands flee Turkish assault on Afrin enclave
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Urgh I ****ed up and voted 'Nay' when I meant 'Aye', can you change it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Thrillanthropist)
    Urgh I ****ed up and voted 'Nay' when I meant 'Aye', can you change it?
    Nb, done
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    yw slds this is ****ig pasising good **** i lof you all **** TUERKEY SOTJUPID ****ING COHNTRY then kruds ha dbve thos
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye, I see you have revoked the call for military action against turkey and changed it to "diplomatic action"

Oops: I put nay instead of aye can you change it please?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    To all tagged, you have voted in favour or abstained on the motion regarding the Maldives yet you have voted against this motion, even though they both serve the same purpose: condemnation and diplomatic action.

I have removed the reference to military action from the original version and thus I would like to ask if you would be willing to change your votes to either an Aye or Abstain.

(Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Aye, I see you have revoked the call for military action against turkey and changed it to "diplomatic action" Oops: I put nay instead of aye can you change it please?
    DayneD89
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    DayneD89
    Please change my vote to abstain, I remember my justification given to Saunders was along the lines of “ I felt like it” and since I abstained on Catus’, I’d like to be consistent
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I suppose I can vote for this now.

Please change my vote to an Aye DayneD89

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    To all tagged, you have voted in favour or abstained on the motion regarding the Maldives yet you have voted against this motion, even though they both serve the same purpose: condemnation and diplomatic action.
    It also has the addition of using the British Peace Corps, which is where I am seeking to be consistent as I also voted against VM461. Although I agree with the humanitarian principles of VM464 and VM461, I still feel it would be better addressed by forces whose mission objectives aren't also aligned with the pursuit of British interests. In my mind, there are organisations who can undertake these types of ground operations in an apolitical manner, whereas the Maldives motion makes no reference of such use of resources so I don't think there's an inconsistency by voting differently between that motion and this one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by LPK)
    It also has the addition of using the British Peace Corps, which is where I am seeking to be consistent as I also voted against VM461. Although I agree with the humanitarian principles of VM464 and VM461, I still feel it would be better addressed by forces whose mission objectives aren't also aligned with the pursuit of British interests. In my mind, there are organisations who can undertake these types of ground operations in an apolitical manner, whereas the Maldives motion makes no reference of such use of resources so I don't think there's an inconsistency by voting differently between that motion and this one.
    Very well, it is important to be consistent in our voting and I understand your reasoning. I will note, however, that the inclusion of the British Peace Corps is due to the different cirumstances surrounding the two motions currently up. The issue in the Maldives regards a tyrannous but not violent rule, whereas this issue is about violence committed against important allies of ours.

ReputationRep:
    The issue in the Maldives regards a tyrannous but not violent rule, whereas this issue is about violence committed against important allies of ours.
    That's a fair argument and something I had admittedly overlooked when casting a vote.

Please change my vote to abstain DayneD89

ReputationRep:

I have removed the reference to military action from the original version and thus I would like to ask if you would be willing to change your votes to either an Aye or Abstain.

DayneD89
    I voted abstained on the Maldives motion because I was indifferent about the situation. I would have voted abstained on this as well if Turkey wasn't a fellow Nato country.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

DayneD89
    I abstained on the other one for similar reasons to Mr T.

I didn't see the change, it should be made clear next time there's a change which is not your fault so I can change this to an Abstain.

DayneD89 change my Nay to an Abstain please.

ReputationRep:

My nay vote was broadly along the same lines as LPK with reference to sending over the British Peace Corps, which given the delicate political situation situation in the region, I believe would be better served by a more apolitical group.

However as with the Maldives motion, my knowledge on both situations is somewhat limited, therefore I am willing to change from a nay vote to abstain.

DayneD89
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    The Ayes have it, The Ayes have it!

Unlock!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.