Poll: Do you agree with this motion?
As many as are of that opinion, Aye (12)
25.53%
On the contrary, No (24)
51.06%
Abstain (11)
23.4%
This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
M469 – Irish Language Motion 2018, Saracen's Fez MP
This House:–

(1) Regrets the deadlock in the formation of a new devolved administration in Northern Ireland.

(2) Recognises the fact that the Irish language is the oldest surviving language on the island of Ireland, and recognises the continuing existence of an Irish language community in Northern Ireland.

(3) Regrets therefore that the Irish language is a sticking point in coalition negotiations in Northern Ireland.

(4) Affirms its support for the rights of Irish language speakers, with a medium-term goal of a Northern Ireland fully bilingual in English and Irish at the official level.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay I don’t see a reason for this
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay, this threatens inflammatory violence in Northern Ireland by selectively neglecting to recognise Ulster Scots, the cultural lingo of the loyalist community.
MagentaNavy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, there is no reason why Northern Ireland should not be able to use their language in the same way that the Welsh do
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Michelle08)
Aye, there is no reason why Northern Ireland should not be able to use their language in the same way that the Welsh do
False dichotomy, Irish isn’t even “the language” of the majority of Northern Irish people, that would be Ulster Scots, which is totally ignored by this motion.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
False dichotomy, Irish isn’t even “the language” of the majority of Northern Irish people, that would be Ulster Scots, which is totally ignored by this motion.
Only 20% of the population of Wales speak Welsh fluently. Maybe double that have some functional competence. That doesn't change the fact that it is the indigenous language of Wales. The same principles should be applied in Northern Ireland.

Ulster Scots is fundamentally a colonial language whose origins lie outside Ireland.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m abstaining since I don’t really know enough to vote either way.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
gdoo tgis fhsuld fial fi ote against it ao my ehalbhd hyougokd mpeope
The PoliticalGuy
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
" with a medium-term goal of a Northern Ireland fully bilingual in English and Irish at the official level"

Abstain, I cannot vote for this motion as long as this phrase is still present.
_Ddraig_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I must correct the Leader of the Opposition with regards to the figures quoted surround the use of the Welsh Language. The Welsh Language Survey 2013-15 (commissioned by the Welsh Government) found that only 11% of the Welsh population (aged three or over) are fluent in Welsh; down from 12% in the previous 2004-2006 survey. [1]

With regards to the motion, whilst I believe we should continue to recognise the use and continued existence of the Irish Language within Northern Ireland, given the very delicate nature of politics in Northern Ireland (why is very different to that of Wales or Scotland), I think it could set a very dangerous precedent if we were to intervene on such a local and delicate matter without the support of the Stormont Assembly (an attempt for an Irish Language Bill was defeated in Stormont in 2015).

As such I shall be voting nay.
Scisaac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
DayneD89 can I Change my vote from aye to abstain please?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
33.94%
No (543)
66.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed