Turn on thread page Beta

VM469 – Irish Language Motion 2018 watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this motion?
    As many as are of that opinion, Aye
    25.53%
    On the contrary, No
    51.06%
    Abstain
    23.40%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M469 – Irish Language Motion 2018, Saracen's Fez MP
    This House:–

(1) Regrets the deadlock in the formation of a new devolved administration in Northern Ireland.

(2) Recognises the fact that the Irish language is the oldest surviving language on the island of Ireland, and recognises the continuing existence of an Irish language community in Northern Ireland.

(3) Regrets therefore that the Irish language is a sticking point in coalition negotiations in Northern Ireland.

(4) Affirms its support for the rights of Irish language speakers, with a medium-term goal of a Northern Ireland fully bilingual in English and Irish at the official level.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Nay I don’t see a reason for this
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Nay, this threatens inflammatory violence in Northern Ireland by selectively neglecting to recognise Ulster Scots, the cultural lingo of the loyalist community.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, there is no reason why Northern Ireland should not be able to use their language in the same way that the Welsh do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelle08)
    Aye, there is no reason why Northern Ireland should not be able to use their language in the same way that the Welsh do
    False dichotomy, Irish isn’t even “the language” of the majority of Northern Irish people, that would be Ulster Scots, which is totally ignored by this motion.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Connor27)
    False dichotomy, Irish isn’t even “the language” of the majority of Northern Irish people, that would be Ulster Scots, which is totally ignored by this motion.
    Only 20% of the population of Wales speak Welsh fluently. Maybe double that have some functional competence. That doesn't change the fact that it is the indigenous language of Wales. The same principles should be applied in Northern Ireland.

Ulster Scots is fundamentally a colonial language whose origins lie outside Ireland.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I’m abstaining since I don’t really know enough to vote either way.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    gdoo tgis fhsuld fial fi ote against it ao my ehalbhd hyougokd mpeope
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    " with a medium-term goal of a Northern Ireland fully bilingual in English and Irish at the official level"

Abstain, I cannot vote for this motion as long as this phrase is still present.

ReputationRep:
    I must correct the Leader of the Opposition with regards to the figures quoted surround the use of the Welsh Language. The Welsh Language Survey 2013-15 (commissioned by the Welsh Government) found that only 11% of the Welsh population (aged three or over) are fluent in Welsh; down from 12% in the previous 2004-2006 survey. [1]

With regards to the motion, whilst I believe we should continue to recognise the use and continued existence of the Irish Language within Northern Ireland, given the very delicate nature of politics in Northern Ireland (why is very different to that of Wales or Scotland), I think it could set a very dangerous precedent if we were to intervene on such a local and delicate matter without the support of the Stormont Assembly (an attempt for an Irish Language Bill was defeated in Stormont in 2015).

As such I shall be voting nay.

ReputationRep:
    DayneD89 can I Change my vote from aye to abstain please?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.