Turn on thread page Beta

Strength training/strength standards watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a new lifter i wanna know if my lifts are decent compared to my time lifted and how I can increase my strength faster.

Time lifted: 6 months
    Bodyweight/height: 192cm/85kg
    Bodytype: a mixture between meso/ecto
    Bench: 95kg
    Squat: 115kg
    Deadlift: 140kg
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes they are but I reckon you already knew this.

Good going but obviously there are people miles ahead so keep training mate and you'll quite possibly have some very impressive lifts in 3 or more years
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Your bench to squat and deadlift ratio is absolutely ****ed :lol: Very impressive bench for someone of your training experience, dunno if that's just genetics or because you're a bench bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    Your bench to squat and deadlift ratio is absolutely ****ed :lol: Very impressive bench for someone of your training experience, dunno if that's just genetics or because you're a bench bro.
    Yeah my I was always good at push ups when i were at highschool etc. Even with my height and long arms. But I feel like i work everything pretty even with
    Day 1: arms/chest/shoulders
    Day 2: legs/back
    Day 3 arms/chest/shoulders
    Day 4 legs/back
    And day 5 with core.

But how much should I squat and deadlift with my current bench?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mixray)
    Yeah my I was always good at push ups when i were at highschool etc. Even with my height and long arms. But I feel like i work everything pretty even with
    Day 1: arms/chest/shoulders
    Day 2: legs/back
    Day 3 arms/chest/shoulders
    Day 4 legs/back
    And day 5 with core.

But how much should I squat and deadlift with my current bench?
    Decent split, I'd personally have a rest day after every couple of days of training but you seem like you're doing well, just keep an eye on things because the heavier the weights get the more difficult it may become to sustain this kind of frequency.

If you're pretty much benching 2 plates I'd have said squatting 3 plates (140kg) and deadlifting 4 plates (180kg) would even things up, so you're not very far off. That said, for your level of experience your squat and deadlift are good, so I wouldn't worry that you're doing anything wrong :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    Decent split, I'd personally have a rest day after every couple of days of training but you seem like you're doing well, just keep an eye on things because the heavier the weights get the more difficult it may become to sustain this kind of frequency.

If you're pretty much benching 2 plates I'd have said squatting 3 plates (140kg) and deadlifting 4 plates (180kg) would even things up, so you're not very far off. That said, for your level of experience your squat and deadlift are good, so I wouldn't worry that you're doing anything wrong :top:
    Alright thank you for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mixray)
    Hi, I am a new lifter i wanna know if my lifts are decent compared to my time lifted and how I can increase my strength faster.

Time lifted: 6 months
    Bodyweight/height: 192cm/85kg
    Bodytype: a mixture between meso/ecto
    Bench: 95kg
    Squat: 115kg
    Deadlift: 140kg
    For the amount of time that you've lifted the weights are very impressive if you managed to maintain good technique. One of the best ways to continue to make progress is to make sure that you don't cheat and "half-rep" when the weight gets heavier. I'd perhaps move onto a starting strength style program until you reached an at least 140kg squat and 160/180kg dead but if you're seeing good progress on your current split and are hitting your targets then there's no real rush.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=I am soapy;76123752]For the amount of time that you've lifted the weights are very impressive if you managed to maintain good technique. One of the best ways to continue to make progress is to make sure that you don't cheat and "half-rep" when the weight gets heavier. I'd perhaps move onto a starting strength style program until you reached an at least 140kg squat and 160/180kg dead but if you're seeing good progress on your current split and are hitting your targets then there's no real rush

Alright but how would a strength program be, rn i do 3-4 sets of 8-12 in each movement, but always weight I can control not bouncing up and down.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Mixray;76125562]
    (Original post by I am soapy)
    For the amount of time that you've lifted the weights are very impressive if you managed to maintain good technique. One of the best ways to continue to make progress is to make sure that you don't cheat and "half-rep" when the weight gets heavier. I'd perhaps move onto a starting strength style program until you reached an at least 140kg squat and 160/180kg dead but if you're seeing good progress on your current split and are hitting your targets then there's no real rush

Alright but how would a strength program be, rn i do 3-4 sets of 8-12 in each movement, but always weight I can control not bouncing up and down.
    Generally for most starting strength programs rep ranges and set ranges are usually between 5 sets of 5 reps, or 3 sets of 5 reps. The rep range of around 8-12 is considered for more hypertrophy than strength but strength gains can still be possible, just generally slower than the 5x5 and 3x5 ranges found in starting strength. Taking it further, you can go into the route of daily undulating periodisation when you become more advanced but a simple 5x5 or 3x5 would probably be best at this point.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Mixray Just carry on as you are mate. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, you're doing fine so stick with what's working, and when it stops working then switch to something different. No need for Starting Strength, it's a beginner's routine and you're past that stage now.

ReputationRep:
    Some reasonable strength standard if you want something to chart yourself against
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Those standards have actually been withdrawn by those who initially published them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Those standards have actually been withdrawn by those who initially published them.
    I didn't know that but equally if you want something just for the sake of interest I still think they are fine
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Smack)
    So did they think those rough numbers were too low or high?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BKS)
    I didn't know that but equally if you want something just for the sake of interest I still think they are fine
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    So did they think those rough numbers were too low or high?
    They were originally withdrawn because people were conflating them the the levels of training advancement described in Practical Programming, by Mark Rippetoe. For example, if people were squatting "elite", they were thinking they have to switch to a super complicated elite level training programme - even if they were making good progress on an intermediate level one.

The standards have actually been republished:

https://startingstrength.com/files/standards.pdf

But with "novice", "advanced" etc changed to different categories. I don't know exactly what the categories represent, although I think Cat I means you should be able to live a comfortable sedentary lifestyle, and the last category means you're on the way to be a competitive powerlifter, but I'm not really sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.