Turn on thread page Beta

so me and this guy i have known for about 6 years, i finally told him i liked him 2 years ago, we are pretty close friends. but hasnt admitted he likes me yet (cause of social anxiety).

when we were both out last, i got chatted up by someone, he didnt like it one bit, i asked him later that evening about how he felt and he said he felt "weirded out" by me getting chatted up by someone else. but wont admit to how he feels about me :/.
    can anyone else share some light on this situation? possibly someone who has gone through social anxiety or is going through it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I have not experienced social anxiety but my sister suffers from it though. She is a uni student and she could, wouldn't, date anyone - even when they expressed obvious interest in her. But, now in her fourth year 22 yrs old, she finally realized the damage and hurt she was bringing upon herself. She (after having dated NO ONE - other than about 5 dates that she never let go longer than 1 1/2 hours) she finally stepped over her comfort edge zone and just finally gave in to vulnerability and let a guy slowly get to know her. Now they've been full on bf/gf for 4 months..... and she didn't die..... which is basically how she acted (like she would die if she let herself be vulnerable).

My point of telling you that information is this.... he is going to have to see you getting chatted up by other guys. You should also go ahead and date other guys too.
    He is going to have to take the 'leap of faith' if he wants things to change. You have been MORE THAN PATIENT - he's known you like him for 2 YEARS!! If he was uncomfortable seeing you with someone else then he can step up to the plate. You should not place your life on hold hoping he's going to do the right thing. If he can realize, rationalize and internalize that he is the one hurting himself then perhaps he take the step out of his comfort zone and allow himself to be vulnerable.
    As you have probably learned you're being patient and placating him isn't working. If you know him well then you are going to probably have to say, "You know I"ve been interested in you for a long time (reiterate how you know that he knows your interested) and you have waited for him to be comfortable with that idea. You assume that he's not interested in you and whereas you are sorry that it makes him uncomfortable to see you being chatted up by another guy you can't sit anymore waiting for him. Then you do have to decide for yourself - are you willing to just be his friend without ever being more than friends or is the hope of a potential relationship (that will probably not come to fruition) enough for you. Only you know.

Truthfully he just may not be able to ever relax and open up and willing to date you or anyone else. How old is he? Lack of maturity could play a role as well.

For my sister she couldn't handle the idea of getting her heart hurt or embarrassing herself. It was paralyzing for her. When she started seeing most of her friends pairing off, guys that she had liked but couldn't act upon their interest for her getting different girlfriends and internalizing the realization that she could end up alone based on that she, alone, was sabotaging herself. Ironically at beginning of her relationship with her bf she MAJORLY embarrassed herself through a misspent text message but thankfully her bf was (eventually) able to laugh about it and although she was mortified she didn't run away and start ghosting the guy which was her normal MO. She is with her bf today and is very happy. But, she had to be willing to make the change for herself and nobody else could really help her until she was ready to change (even with anxiety). Okay, in fairness, she has gone to counseling and is now taking anti-anxiety medication as well.

I apologize for all the typos above. My brain thinks faster than I type and I make a million mistakes. There used to be an edit button that I no longer see. I need that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    so me and this guy i have known for about 6 years, i finally told him i liked him 2 years ago, we are pretty close friends. but hasnt admitted he likes me yet (cause of social anxiety).

when we were both out last, i got chatted up by someone, he didnt like it one bit, i asked him later that evening about how he felt and he said he felt "weirded out" by me getting chatted up by someone else. but wont admit to how he feels about me :/.
    can anyone else share some light on this situation? possibly someone who has gone through social anxiety or is going through it.
    find somewhere quiet and alone and just speak to him make sure that you reassure him but dont push too hard, ive been through this just let him know that you will always be there for him and just be 100 percent honest about how you feel

thanks for your advice guys, he has just turned 23, this happened in november when he got weirded out by me getting chatted up by someone.
    I could of allowed something to happen between us, as he asked me to stay at his kind of he asked me were i was staying? but i didnt realise till after at what he was hinting at till i asked one of his family members what he was asking cause he hasn't asked me before (possibly to see if im staying at another guys perhaps?)

but you are correct, its on his head, i understand to an extent, when i see him next im guna say to him we should hang out more, just as friends if it goes anywhere it goes somewhere if not we will still be best mates. its a tricky situation without pushing things its taken 5 years for him to open up to me about his life, so how long will it take him for a relationship? ;o

Robert, i have told him that. it's also weird that he takes hours possibly days to reply to one of his other best mates who im close to but aleays replies to me within seconds of replying even when hes busy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.