Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so this is just out of interest, but what would be the best A-Levels For a Maths degree at Oxford?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further maths and any other solid subject.

ReputationRep:
    maths, further maths and physics is a popular combination but the only two you really need are maths and fm. what subjects do you like? econ and chemistry are also good subjects to consider but again not essential at all.

ReputationRep:
    I agree maths further maths and physics is what the website says online u can do any fourth if u choose to do four

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    Further maths
    Physics?
    Something maths based?

IDK but hey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alextheowl)
    Maths, Further maths and any other solid subject.
    (Original post by showaeski)
    maths, further maths and physics is a popular combination but the only two you really need are maths and fm. what subjects do you like? econ and chemistry are also good subjects to consider but again not essential at all.
    (Original post by anonymous1231231)
    I agree maths further maths and physics is what the website says online u can do any fourth if u choose to do four
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    Maths
    Further maths
    Physics?
    Something maths based?

IDK but hey
    Thanks!! I don't want this thread to be biased so I'm not going to post the other subjects I would be interested in/want to take but I can PM you if you'd like to know

ReputationRep:
    Maths and Further Maths as definites. Other subjects such as Physics, Computer Science and Chemistry would be expected, but any academic subject even if it's not a science would be good if you feel you could do well at it.
    Although if you are doing Further Maths I'd strongly consider 4, as I know for Cambridge sometimes doesn't count your Maths grade if you took it in first year and you are also taking Further Maths, however it may be different at other unis, and may be changing now that all subjects are going to be linear. But that said Maths and Further Maths as a combination are often thought as less than 2 A Levels worth of work, and from experience I'd be inclined to agree.

ReputationRep:
    Well you need maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faction Paradox)
    Maths and Further Maths as definites. Other subjects such as Physics, Computer Science and Chemistry would be expected, but any academic subject even if it's not a science would be good if you feel you could do well at it.
    Although if you are doing Further Maths I'd strongly consider 4, as I know for Cambridge sometimes doesn't count your Maths grade if you took it in first year and you are also taking Further Maths, however it may be different at other unis, and may be changing now that all subjects are going to be linear. But that said Maths and Further Maths as a combination are often thought as less than 2 A Levels worth of work, and from experience I'd be inclined to agree.
    Ok, so if I feel like I'm less physics/chemistry inclined (my college doesn't offer comp science) and would do better in other subjects, i should go for those? As for doing 4, that came up in conversation earlier and I would definitely agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admiral_broome)
    Well you need maths
    Really?! Who woulda thunk it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooschool4cool)
    Ok, so this is just out of interest, but what would be the best A-Levels For a Maths degree at Oxford?
    Maths, Further Maths and whatever else you enjoy (you need to stay sane after all). The admissions process is designed to test your mathsy skills so don't feel like your A Level choices have to be completely maths/science-based, unless that's what you enjoy! (from a maths student at cambridge)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythagorasGhost)
    Maths, Further Maths and whatever else you enjoy (you need to stay sane after all). The admissions process is designed to test your mathsy skills so don't feel like your A Level choices have to be completely maths/science-based, unless that's what you enjoy! (from a maths student at cambridge)
    Thank you!! Out of interest, what did you take at A-Level?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so if I feel like I'm less physics/chemistry inclined (my college doesn't offer comp science) and would do better in other subjects, i should go for those? As for doing 4, that came up in conversation earlier and I would definitely agree
    Doing very well in a less maths related subject is always going to look better than doing OK in a more math-sy subject. Things like English Lit or foreign languages are always well thought of, but I'd look into the amount of coursework needed for non science subjects, as having too much coursework may be something which drags down grades by reducing revision time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faction Paradox)
    Doing very well in a less maths related subject is always going to look better than doing OK in a more math-sy subject. Things like English Lit or foreign languages are always well thought of, but I'd look into the amount of coursework needed for non science subjects, as having too much coursework may be something which drags down grades by reducing revision time.
    Ok, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! Out of interest, what did you take at A-Level?
    I also did Physics and AS Computer Science

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.