Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Take a gap year?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i got rejected by edinburgh which was my absolute dream and im not sure if i want to study medicine anywhere else (I have an offer at Nottingham, and im waiting for Glasgow and Sheffield).
    Would it be stupid to decline Notts and take a gap year and maybe try again for Edinburgh?? I have wanted to go there for so long.
    If anyone has been in a similar situation that could give me some advice that would be much appreciated . Thanks x

Also, a quick side not, I'm not trying to be ungrateful for my Nottingham offer or anything, and I know i'm incredibly lucky to have even 1 medicine offer x

ReputationRep:
    edinburgh is so stats based that I really don't know how much reapplying would help. they have no interview, so basically the entire application was your grades and UKCAT. you can't change your (achieved) grades, and how do you know you'll do better in your UKCAT next year if you try again? it's quite risky....however you might be able to. but you have to really think if you want to go through the whoooleee process again.

ReputationRep:
    Take your offer, reapplying is way too risky

ReputationRep:
    Did you get any feedback? You can only improve if you know where your application let you down. If it was the UKCAT and you feel you could do better with more practise, you could give it another go and reapply (If you are really dead set on Edinburgh).
    You need to think about what you would do for a whole year to strengthen your application: would you get a job, do some overseas volunteering etc. or would you just feel a little useless without any proper studying to do (I know I would!). If you feel you did everything in your power the first time around, there is no point reapplying with the same stats.
    I was thinking about doing deferred entry and the thing that put me off was being a year behind all my friends, who also want to do medicine. I think I would be a bit jealous of them going off to university, and I would always be one step behind them.
    Just some things to think about
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Your patients are not going to ask where you did your degree.
    All they will care about is, are you a Doctor.

Take Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K8e.H)
    Did you get any feedback? You can only improve if you know where your application let you down. If it was the UKCAT and you feel you could do better with more practise, you could give it another go and reapply (If you are really dead set on Edinburgh).
    You need to think about what you would do for a whole year to strengthen your application: would you get a job, do some overseas volunteering etc. or would you just feel a little useless without any proper studying to do (I know I would!). If you feel you did everything in your power the first time around, there is no point reapplying with the same stats.
    I was thinking about doing deferred entry and the thing that put me off was being a year behind all my friends, who also want to do medicine. I think I would be a bit jealous of them going off to university, and I would always be one step behind them.
    Just some things to think about
    I think it was both my grades ( i was predicted A*aa) and my ukcat (687) which is frustrating as people in the year before got in with similar stats! Deferred entry is such a good idea, but only if you knew you had a plan for the year, or otherwise you might feel you've wasted your time?? Thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello2906)
    edinburgh is so stats based that I really don't know how much reapplying would help. they have no interview, so basically the entire application was your grades and UKCAT. you can't change your (achieved) grades, and how do you know you'll do better in your UKCAT next year if you try again? it's quite risky....however you might be able to. but you have to really think if you want to go through the whoooleee process again.
    I know its such a chore and nothings guaranteed. I'm not sure what to do as I only applied to Nottingham on a whim and I wasn't a big fan of the city/area tbh c

ReputationRep:
    If it’s something you really want then you go for it.
    You got your feedback, you know what you’d have to do - looking at your predicted grades, they weren’t able to get the full marks for ed. Achieve higher in the actual exams.
    UKCAT - study and practise and practise for longer, be it two weeks, a month, two months - until you’re confident you’ll get high enough.
    Gain more experience, do things you can’t do in a career like medicine during your gap year - travel, make money, you can literally do anything.
    Look at what you can change, what you can do better but make sure you DO something and do your best with the second chance you’ve given yourself. If you’re not confident that you will put all your effort into changing your application to get the outcome you want then there’s no point and you’ll be wasting a year/a Medicine place at Nott’s.

Sorry idk if that’s helpful/made any sense but I’m currently a bit frustrated because someone I know said she’d work hard but didn’t and now won’t stop crying about how she didn’t get in this year. Take responsibility for your choices and actions whatever you do, please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by distractme)
    If it’s something you really want then you go for it.
    You got your feedback, you know what you’d have to do - looking at your predicted grades, they weren’t able to get the full marks for ed. Achieve higher in the actual exams.
    UKCAT - study and practise and practise for longer, be it two weeks, a month, two months - until you’re confident you’ll get high enough.
    Gain more experience, do things you can’t do in a career like medicine during your gap year - travel, make money, you can literally do anything.
    Look at what you can change, what you can do better but make sure you DO something and do your best with the second chance you’ve given yourself. If you’re not confident that you will put all your effort into changing your application to get the outcome you want then there’s no point and you’ll be wasting a year/a Medicine place at Nott’s.

Sorry idk if that’s helpful/made any sense but I’m currently a bit frustrated because someone I know said she’d work hard but didn’t and now won’t stop crying about how she didn’t get in this year. Take responsibility for your choices and actions whatever you do, please.
    I totally get what you mean. Im tempted to firm Notts, but schedule a ukcat date in May, and the see how I do on results day, if I get A*A*a+ then take a gap year, and if not just go to Notts? So if I end up being able to reapply then I can take my ukcat, and if not I can just cancel it.
    This is assuming that I still have the motivation to go through the absolute trauma of applying again haha

ReputationRep:
    What's so good about Edinburgh lol. You might as well aim for Oxbridge/Imperial if you're hoping to reapply with A*A*A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moni1234567)
    I totally get what you mean. Im tempted to firm Notts, but schedule a ukcat date in May, and the see how I do on results day, if I get A*A*a+ then take a gap year, and if not just go to Notts? So if I end up being able to reapply then I can take my ukcat, and if not I can just cancel it.
    This is assuming that I still have the motivation to go through the absolute trauma of applying again haha
    Very very good and smart plan, as long as you’re willing to spend the money on the UKCAT. Also most of your exams will be during May/June no? So maybe do it a bit later.

(Original post by Humz007)
    What's so good about Edinburgh lol. You might as well aim for Oxbridge/Imperial if you're hoping to reapply with A*A*A
    This is entirely up to the OP’s feelings - but also true, you’d have no limits to where you can apply if you want. OP seems to like the city/area of Ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by distractme)
    Very very good and smart plan, as long as you’re willing to spend the money on the UKCAT. Also most of your exams will be during May/June no? So maybe do it a bit later.

This is entirely up to the OP’s feelings - but also true, you’d have no limits to where you can apply if you want. OP seems to like the city/area of Ed.
    i love it lol it ticks a lot of boxes for me in terms of distance and cost and course etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moni1234567)
    Hi, i got rejected by edinburgh which was my absolute dream and im not sure if i want to study medicine anywhere else (I have an offer at Nottingham, and im waiting for Glasgow and Sheffield).
    Would it be stupid to decline Notts and take a gap year and maybe try again for Edinburgh?? I have wanted to go there for so long.
    If anyone has been in a similar situation that could give me some advice that would be much appreciated . Thanks x

Also, a quick side not, I'm not trying to be ungrateful for my Nottingham offer or anything, and I know i'm incredibly lucky to have even 1 medicine offer x
    Yes, it would be very stupid, and deep down you probably already know it would be otherwise you wouldn't be asking :p:

If you go into medicine there will be lots of times in your career when you will be sent to work in places you'd rather not go to or be allocated jobs you don't want to do. Sometimes you can negotiate or change things, but very often you can't and you just have to adapt and make the best of the situation. Risking your offer would be very unwise - there's no guarantee that you'd get into Edinburgh (or anywhere else) next year.

The chances are if you go to Nottingham/Glasgow/Sheffield with an open mind, very quickly you'll become immersed in the course and social life and you'll forget about Edinburgh. By the end of the degree with five years of friends and memories and achivements behind you, you'll find it difficult to imagine yourself being anything other than a Nottingham/Glasgow/Sheffield graduate. Believe me, medical schools are pretty much all the same and the unis you've applied to are all major student cities - you won't be missing out on anything if you keep an open mind.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.