Sanaa6787
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi i was just wondering if anyone has had an MRI? Whats it like?? Do they inject you?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
**Think** I've had one (when I was a lot younger) and don't remember any injection.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sanaa6787)
Hi i was just wondering if anyone has had an MRI? Whats it like?? Do they inject you?
Hi there. This page explains what an MRI scan is.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mri-scan/
Basically you lay on a bed which is moved into a big ring that scans you using magnets. Injection isn't mentioned so you won't necessarily need one, but I know there are some specific scans that do require things to be injected (like contrast dyes for kidney scans) so I suppose it is possible depending on what you're having scanned. You can always check that with them when you get there.
You can also take a look at some yourtube videos like this to give you an idea of what it will be like. It seems there's a rather unique sound it makes so it could be a good idea to prepare yourself for that a little (it would definitely startle me if I wasn't expecting it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXJNXNcLNs
Sanaa6787
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kindred)
Hi there. This page explains what an MRI scan is.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mri-scan/
Basically you lay on a bed which is moved into a big ring that scans you using magnets. Injection isn't mentioned so you won't necessarily need one, but I know there are some specific scans that do require things to be injected (like contrast dyes for kidney scans) so I suppose it is possible depending on what you're having scanned. You can always check that with them when you get there.
You can also take a look at some yourtube videos like this to give you an idea of what it will be like. It seems there's a rather unique sound it makes so it could be a good idea to prepare yourself for that a little (it would definitely startle me if I wasn't expecting it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXJNXNcLNs
Thanks so much
Dankdave
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My dad had one once. He was just sat in a giant machine for like 20 min. Nothing scary.
Sanaa6787
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
I have never had an MRI but I work on the other side (not a radiologist / radiographer but a doctor who requests lots of these).

You go into a tunnel, and there is usually a mirror to let you see outside. Those who are claustrophobic may have a slight problem. Depending on the parts of the body scanned the duration could be 5 - 40 minutes (or even longer if "functional" test is requested).

Whether you have an injection or not depends on the procedure requested - if a contrast (i.e. a dye to make certain things show up better) is required then you may need a cannula (thing at the back of your hand / front of your elbow) for this to be injected. Obviously this will be taken out before you leave the department.

Honestly, it will be fine and lots of people have an MRI at every hospital (with an MRI scanner) a day!
Im not claustrophobic and its just that i dont want a cannula
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Some people may have injections. But I've never had one for any of the MRIs I've had.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads