Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi i was just wondering if anyone has had an MRI? Whats it like?? Do they inject you?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    **Think** I've had one (when I was a lot younger) and don't remember any injection.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Sanaa6787)
    Hi i was just wondering if anyone has had an MRI? Whats it like?? Do they inject you?
    Hi there. This page explains what an MRI scan is.
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mri-scan/
    Basically you lay on a bed which is moved into a big ring that scans you using magnets. Injection isn't mentioned so you won't necessarily need one, but I know there are some specific scans that do require things to be injected (like contrast dyes for kidney scans) so I suppose it is possible depending on what you're having scanned. You can always check that with them when you get there.
    You can also take a look at some yourtube videos like this to give you an idea of what it will be like. It seems there's a rather unique sound it makes so it could be a good idea to prepare yourself for that a little (it would definitely startle me if I wasn't expecting it).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXJNXNcLNs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Hi there. This page explains what an MRI scan is.
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mri-scan/
    Basically you lay on a bed which is moved into a big ring that scans you using magnets. Injection isn't mentioned so you won't necessarily need one, but I know there are some specific scans that do require things to be injected (like contrast dyes for kidney scans) so I suppose it is possible depending on what you're having scanned. You can always check that with them when you get there.
    You can also take a look at some yourtube videos like this to give you an idea of what it will be like. It seems there's a rather unique sound it makes so it could be a good idea to prepare yourself for that a little (it would definitely startle me if I wasn't expecting it).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXJNXNcLNs
    Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    My dad had one once. He was just sat in a giant machine for like 20 min. Nothing scary.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sanaa6787)
    I have never had an MRI but I work on the other side (not a radiologist / radiographer but a doctor who requests lots of these).

You go into a tunnel, and there is usually a mirror to let you see outside. Those who are claustrophobic may have a slight problem. Depending on the parts of the body scanned the duration could be 5 - 40 minutes (or even longer if "functional" test is requested).

Whether you have an injection or not depends on the procedure requested - if a contrast (i.e. a dye to make certain things show up better) is required then you may need a cannula (thing at the back of your hand / front of your elbow) for this to be injected. Obviously this will be taken out before you leave the department.

Honestly, it will be fine and lots of people have an MRI at every hospital (with an MRI scanner) a day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    I have never had an MRI but I work on the other side (not a radiologist / radiographer but a doctor who requests lots of these).

You go into a tunnel, and there is usually a mirror to let you see outside. Those who are claustrophobic may have a slight problem. Depending on the parts of the body scanned the duration could be 5 - 40 minutes (or even longer if "functional" test is requested).

Whether you have an injection or not depends on the procedure requested - if a contrast (i.e. a dye to make certain things show up better) is required then you may need a cannula (thing at the back of your hand / front of your elbow) for this to be injected. Obviously this will be taken out before you leave the department.

Honestly, it will be fine and lots of people have an MRI at every hospital (with an MRI scanner) a day!
    Im not claustrophobic and its just that i dont want a cannula
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Some people may have injections. But I've never had one for any of the MRIs I've had.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.