The Student Room Group

further maths integration via substitution question (OCR)

Hi, I am having trouble solving the following problem I found in an OCR past paper:
FP2 integration.PNG
I understand how to find dx/dt, but I don't understand how to express sinx in terms of t. Is there some trig identity I am missing out on?
The markscheme doesn't really help me, so if you could help me that would be great! Also, are these questions very common,as it seems like a rather difficult question...?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bluenotewitt
Hi, I am having trouble solving the following problem I found in an OCR past paper:
FP2 integration.PNG
I understand how to find dx/dt, but I don't understand how to express sinx in terms of t. Is there some trig identity I am missing out on?
The markscheme doesn't really help me, so if you could help me that would be great! Also, are these questions very common,as it seems like a rather difficult question...?

tan half-angle substitutions (also called Weierstrass substitutions) are part of the OCR spec so you need to know how to use them.

If you've never learnt this then it's best to watch a video e.g. this one.
Original post by Notnek
tan half-angle substitutions (also called Weierstrass substitutions) are part of the OCR spec so you need to know how to use them.

If you've never learnt this then it's best to watch a video e.g. this one.

Oh right! I am not taking OCR exams though. I am only looking at past paper questions for my edexcel exams as practice...
So I am not in trouble where Edexcel is concerned? Thanks for your reply!
Reply 3
Original post by bluenotewitt
Oh right! I am not taking OCR exams though. I am only looking at past paper questions for my edexcel exams as practice...
So I am not in trouble where Edexcel is concerned? Thanks for your reply!

This wouldn't be in Edexcel. But it's worth following and understanding the solution if you have time :smile:
Original post by Notnek
This wouldn't be in Edexcel. But it's worth following and understanding the solution if you have time :smile:

Yes, I will certainly look into it. Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest