Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm currently in year 12 and with exams almost around the corner, it will soon be time to apply for Uni.
    I'm intending to go into Law and I just wanted to ask whether my extra curricular/ work experience is adequate enough for me to stand out and give me a competitive edge.

So here's what I've done and what I'm doing so far;

Part time job at Nandos
    Debate mate
    NCS
    NCS Youth Board Member (social action project raising awareness for homelessness)
    Envision (social action campaign)
    I'm part of Pathways to Law (by the Sutton Trust)
    Work experience at GVA Grimley (corporate agency)
    Paired mentoring (mentoring year 7's with their reading)
    Duke of Edinburgh
    Attended academic law lectures
    EPQ

Also, later this year i'm going to be doing work experience at a law firm called Eversheds Sutherland and also at a Magistrates Court. I'm also going to be attending Oxfords Law Faculty open day and University of Bristols Law Conference event. I'll also be doing the National Law conference summer school at University of Warwick and probably some more volunteering.

Obviously i'm not going to include every single thing in my personal statement, but based on what i've done so far, what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _rivnn)
    Hi, i'm currently in year 12 and with exams almost around the corner, it will soon be time to apply for Uni.
    I'm intending to go into Law and I just wanted to ask whether my extra curricular/ work experience is adequate enough for me to stand out and give me a competitive edge.

So here's what I've done and what I'm doing so far;

Part time job at Nandos
    Debate mate
    NCS
    NCS Youth Board Member (social action project raising awareness for homelessness)
    Envision (social action campaign)
    I'm part of Pathways to Law (by the Sutton Trust)
    Work experience at GVA Grimley (corporate agency)
    Paired mentoring (mentoring year 7's with their reading)
    Duke of Edinburgh
    Attended academic law lectures
    EPQ

Also, later this year i'm going to be doing work experience at a law firm called Eversheds Sutherland and also at a Magistrates Court. I'm also going to be attending Oxfords Law Faculty open day and University of Bristols Law Conference event. I'll also be doing the National Law conference summer school at University of Warwick and probably some more volunteering.

Obviously i'm not going to include every single thing in my personal statement, but based on what i've done so far, what do you guys think?
    I’ve been offered a place at Oxford, LSE, UCL, King’s and Southampton to study Law so hopefully I can provide some advice!

What you’ve done so far is great and it is most definitely enough to show an interest and passion for the law, which is mainly what universities are looking for. I’d suggest doing some extra reading if you haven’t started already, the guardian has a fantastic list of books. My personal favourites are: The Law Machine, What About Law?, and Letters to a Law Student.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthflame57)
    I’ve been offered a place at Oxford, LSE, UCL, King’s and Southampton to study Law so hopefully I can provide some advice!

What you’ve done so far is great and it is most definitely enough to show an interest and passion for the law, which is mainly what universities are looking for. I’d suggest doing some extra reading if you haven’t started already, the guardian has a fantastic list of books. My personal favourites are: The Law Machine, What About Law?, and Letters to a Law Student.
    thank you! And congrats on the amazing offers! You should be really proud of yourself. Yes, i'm definitely searching for good books for an introduction to law so thanks for the recomended list!

I'm thinking of applying to Kings for Law, do you have any advice? i'm a bit intimidated though because i have average GCSE's but i want to go for it because i don't want to go through life regretting not applying.

ReputationRep:
    thank you! And congrats on the amazing offers! You should be really proud of yourself. Yes, i'm definitely searching for good books for an introduction to law so thanks for the recomended list!

I'm thinking of applying to Kings for Law, do you have any advice? i'm a bit intimidated though because i have average GCSE's but i want to go for it because i don't want to go through life regretting not applying.
    Thank you so much!

I say go for it, you’ll regret it if you don’t. My GCSEs are not anywhere near as good as other people I met - 3A*s, 4As, 4Bs and 1C. Not awful I know but I met people at oxford who had got entirely As and A*s at GCSE. Just try to convey your passion for Law in your personal statement as much as you can, which I think will be relatively easy for you given all of your extra-curricular activities.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!

I say go for it, you’ll regret it if you don’t. My GCSEs are not anywhere near as good as other people I met - 3A*s, 4As, 4Bs and 1C. Not awful I know but I met people at oxford who had got entirely As and A*s at GCSE. Just try to convey your passion for Law in your personal statement as much as you can, which I think will be relatively easy for you given all of your extra-curricular activities.
    thanks for the advice! this is why this year is so important for me because it's bssically my only shot lol. I feel like i'm doing okay at A levels so far, they are sooo difficult though. In my december mocks i got ABC, not amazing i know but i feel like they're pretty good considering it was my first as level exams.

Which subjects are you doing at A level? i'm doing english lit, history and religious studies x

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice! this is why this year is so important for me because it's bssically my only shot lol. I feel like i'm doing okay at A levels so far, they are sooo difficult though. In my december mocks i got ABC, not amazing i know but i feel like they're pretty good considering it was my first as level exams.

Which subjects are you doing at A level? i'm doing english lit, history and religious studies x
    A-Levels are hard and I feel like it takes a while to adjust for the higher level required. In my early year 12 mocks I didn’t do as I wanted either, I wouldn’t worry.

I do history, law, sociology and psychology x

ReputationRep:
    A-Levels are hard and I feel like it takes a while to adjust for the higher level required. In my early year 12 mocks I didn’t do as I wanted either, I wouldn’t worry.

I do history, law, sociology and psychology x
    those sound really interesting! my friends do sociology and they say it's ggreat but they hate the amount of homework they get. Do you have any tips for revising history?

ReputationRep:
    those sound really interesting! my friends do sociology and they say it's ggreat but they hate the amount of homework they get. Do you have any tips for revising history?
    History is a pain I’m not going to lie. Just go over the content again and again, I make lots of notes because I find that I remember things better that way. Then just practice essay technique separately because that is such an important part of history. You can have the knowledge but if you can’t structure an essay well or get your arguments across you won’t get more than a C/B which is unfortunately what I’ve been finding.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that's plenty

ReputationRep:
    History is a pain I’m not going to lie. Just go over the content again and again, I make lots of notes because I find that I remember things better that way. Then just practice essay technique separately because that is such an important part of history. You can have the knowledge but if you can’t structure an essay well or get your arguments across you won’t get more than a C/B which is unfortunately what I’ve been finding.
    thank you, good luck with your future!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.