The Student Room Group

a level maths core 3 question solids of revolution

Question: The region n R bounded by the curve y=x((x^3)+1)^3, the x-axis between 0 and 1, and the line x=1, is rotated through 2pi radians about the x-axis. Find the volume of the solid of revolution formed.
How would you go about the question, you`ll have to get the equation into y^2 first, but how would you do that? expand all the brackets or am i missing something?
Reply 1
Original post by itlstallion69
Question: The region n R bounded by the curve y=x((x^3)+1)^3, the x-axis between 0 and 1, and the line x=1, is rotated through 2pi radians about the x-axis. Find the volume of the solid of revolution formed.
How would you go about the question, you`ll have to get the equation into y^2 first, but how would you do that? expand all the brackets or am i missing something?

try the substitution of u=x^3+1

No need to expand.

y2=x2(x3+1)6y^2=x^2(x^3+1)^6 and hence the substitution u=x3+1u=x^3+1 does the job when integrating it.
Someone link me to the fancy handwriting symbols page thingy
Original post by Bulletzone

lol what is that?
Reply 5
Original post by Bulletzone

Fancy handwriting symbols page thingy
am coming to an answer of 128pi all over 21 but the book says 127pi all over 21
Reply 7
am coming to an answer of 128pi all over 21 but the book says 127pi all over 21

you may have forgotten to minus the 1pi/27 from the second part of the indefinite integral
Original post by yusyus
you may have forgotten to minus the 1pi/27 from the second part of the indefinite integral

yeh just noticed i disregarded the last part of the integral since the x value was zero, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest