Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As the title suggests, in your opinion in the U.K, what are your top 5 schools for undergraduates to study business/ management studies.

In terms of reputation, location, teaching etc
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by King Arthur 284)
    As the title suggests, in your opinion in the U.K, what are your top 5 schools for undergraduates to study business/ management studies.

This is just going to spiral into some kind of argument. Work out which unis offer the course you are interested in and then work out where you can get into and which courses are interesting to you. Then think about things like facilities, where grads end up work and research opportunities and links with industry.

ReputationRep:
    I have done some research and this is what I have found.
    For undergraduate management/business studies, Warwick is generally accepted as the next best school after Oxford and it shares this status with LSE.

For undergrad economics, Oxford and Cambridge are still a tier above Warwick, LSE and UCL. But LSE is certainly a little above Warwick and UCL or occupy a spot in-between Oxbridge and Warwick/UCL.

For graduate level management/finance/economics and MBA, LBS is undoubtdly the top 1 business school. After it comes Oxford-Said and Cambridge-Judge. Then below th Oxbridge are Warwick, Manchester and Cranfield. Then just belw them are Lancaster, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Durham, Bradford, City-Cass, Imperial-Tanaka and Ashridge.

whichever source (ranking league tables) you're going to look at, Oxford, LSE and Warwick are solidly in the top 3 -- for undergraduate management degree program with Oxford occupying the top spot. This is also sthe generally accepted notion by the ordinary peeps as well as those HRDs of top companies and invesment banking like mckinsey and the like. The top 4 and onwards can go either ways. Some would say Manchester is ahead of nImperial-Tanaka or Tanaka is ahead of cass or Duram is ahead of Bristol, etc...

If I may rank them, it would go this way:

1 - Oxford
    2 - LSE, Warwick
    3 - Manchester, Nottingham, Cass, Tanaka, and the like

If you want to go into Investment Banking or Management Cosultancy and the like, even a degree in engineering or sceince from Cambridge can land you into such job position. But of course, someone with a degree in Management (from a top business school such as Oxford, Warwick, LSE, Manchester, Nottingham) would have an avantage, but it does not keep you away from getting into IB or MC if you have a degree in Economics, Mathematics, Industrial Engineering and Finance from a top UK uni.

For Investment Banking and MC, recruiters actively scout talents from Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick. Then Imperial, UCL, Manchester, Nottingham, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Cass. I based this on a data which I have found. https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/choi...stment-banking

ReputationRep:
    I have done some research and this is what I have found.
    For undergraduate management/business studies, Warwick is generally accepted as the next best school after Oxford and it shares this status with LSE.

For undergrad economics, Oxford and Cambridge are still a tier above Warwick, LSE and UCL. But LSE is certainly a little above Warwick and UCL or occupy a spot in-between Oxbridge and Warwick/UCL.

For graduate level management/finance/economics and MBA, LBS is undoubtdly the top 1 business school. After it comes Oxford-Said and Cambridge-Judge. Then below th Oxbridge are Warwick, Manchester and Cranfield. Then just belw them are Lancaster, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Durham, Bradford, City-Cass, Imperial-Tanaka and Ashridge.

whichever source (ranking league tables) you're going to look at, Oxford, LSE and Warwick are solidly in the top 3 -- for undergraduate management degree program with Oxford occupying the top spot. This is also sthe generally accepted notion by the ordinary peeps as well as those HRDs of top companies and invesment banking like mckinsey and the like. The top 4 and onwards can go either ways. Some would say Manchester is ahead of nImperial-Tanaka or Tanaka is ahead of cass or Duram is ahead of Bristol, etc...

If I may rank them, it would go this way:

1 - Oxford
    2 - LSE, Warwick
    3 - Manchester, Nottingham, Cass, Tanaka, and the like

If you want to go into Investment Banking or Management Cosultancy and the like, even a degree in engineering or sceince from Cambridge can land you into such job position. But of course, someone with a degree in Management (from a top business school such as Oxford, Warwick, LSE, Manchester, Nottingham) would have an avantage, but it does not keep you away from getting into IB or MC if you have a degree in Economics, Mathematics, Industrial Engineering and Finance from a top UK uni.

For Investment Banking and MC, recruiters actively scout talents from Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick. Then Imperial, UCL, Manchester, Nottingham, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Cass. I based this on a data which I have found. https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/choi...stment-banking
    Agree with the above but adding in UCL on top of the said 4.
    For investment banking , you may want to refer to this thread
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4224570

Quoting from there directly :

FAQs:
    Which universities are the best for banking?
    Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick (in no order) are typically targeted more by banks. After this, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath, Loughborough, Manchester, Cass and some other ones are semi-targets.

Which degree course is the best for banking?
    Doesn't matter at all. You can go into banking with a classics or music degree as much as from an economics or maths degree.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    x
    I'm gonna just keep this brief because it's asked way too much.

At undergrad, for finance (regardless of the subject studied) you will find the majority of UK people come fro.:

-> UK Targets: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick. They are all largely equal and make up most of a given class of analysts/ummer analysts/spring weekers.

-> UK semi-targets: Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Bath, Cass, Exeter, Manchester, KCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews. Largely considered equal, but have varying levels of placement. Make up the next majority.

-> UK non-targets: mostly people from other Russell Group universities and other decent unis without much dedicated finance recruiting events and the odd exceptional person from a really "meh" university. These are largely the minority

People from EU target schools (i.e. french grand ecoles, top italian, spanish, german, scandinavian etc business and technical schools) also make up a signficant portion of intakes and are actively targeted by firms.

For pre-experience masters, the main players are top London schools (LBS, LSE, Imperial B-school, Cass), Oxbridge and Warwick for UK schools and the top european programmes. The semi-targets from undergrad recruiting aren't really represented at this level.

MBA wise:

Tier 1: LBS and INSEAD

Tier 2: IE, IESE

- gap -

IMD

Said, Judge, Bocconi, HEC etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just to note economics can't be studied at a business school.

top 5 UG business schools in the UK imo:

1. Warwick
    2. Cass
    3. Manchester Business School
    4. Notts Business School
    5. Bristol/Durham

LSE does offer Finance/A&F but I kept it off my list as I don't think it can offer the same things as a traditional business school would be able to. LSE is more of a social sciences space than your bloomberg terminals type of school.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how few people seem to actually get what a business school is .
    LSE is not a business school, if you're refering to its general ranking then it would probably top the list alongside Oxbridge etc..
    Seeing UCL classified as a top business school is akin to a joke, their business school isn't even close to toping the ranks, It is tier 3 at best. However, I will admit that they are making progress.
    In the UK, the best business schools, based upon the MBA ranking as a proxy for overall quality of education, working opportunities, prestige:

1st : ex- æquo: Cambridge Judge Business School - LBS - Oxford University
    2nd : Warwick- Cass Business School- Imperial business school
    3rd : Manchester- Bristol- Durham- Nottingham

When choosing a dregree, you must establish whether its value will increase with time or not.
    Since Brexit, the only location which remains unconditionally a target for business schools is London. Warwick understood this a few years ago when they decided to set up a campus in the shard tower. Unfortunately, it only hosts executive programs, which in terms of overall value for money are worthless. Cass, Imperial and UCL certainly have the advantage of being situated in London. Cass in particular is positioned in the historical heart of Finance, the city of London. UCL is building campuses in Canary Wharf which isn't such a bad move.
    Judging from the rankings, Cass is certainly a business school to take into consideration when judging the potential for future progression, for 2 reasons:
    The current dean of the School Marianne Lewis is doing a tremendous job, leveraging her contacts through her father- the ex vice dean of Harvard Business School. Secondly, Research at Cass Business School has become internationally recognized as shown by the success of the Cass M&A research center managed by an ex-senior exec from Jp morgan and ex- professor at Oxford.
    Imperial certainly is improving its rankings as it leverages its incredibly reputed math course. This constitutes a great advantage when it comes to the quant side of business school courses- financial mathematics.

To sum up, if you are interested in a degree outside of business, then consider a degree in economics from LSE or Oxbridge. These will get you into investment banking very easily.
    If you're interested in Business School ( grad level) , Cass has the most potential to becoming very prestigious in the coming years, Imperial BS certainly follows in Cass's footsteps. Warwick is relatively safe, even though it will probably lose a part of its appeal because of its non proximity to the financial cente.
    If your grades aren't too good, try to go abroad and go for a BBA at Essec Business School or EDHEDC in France; or one of the top spanish Bus schools. All of which are comparable to the list mentioned above and will get you farther than tier 3 British business Schools.

ReputationRep:
    Tier 1 LBS
    Tier 2 Oxbridge
    Tier 3 WBS Cass Cranfield Imperial Manchester
    Tier 4 Durham Lancaster Strathclyde Edin

For postgraude is it right ranking?
    For msc finance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkknew)
    Tier 1 LBS
    Tier 2 Oxbridge

For msc finance
    No it goes london business school / Warwick.

Cambridge/ LSE

Oxford/ Durham/ Manchester/ Imperial Name:  5BF767F4-1FFC-43BE-A6E3-8036F60556C1.jpg.jpeg
Views: 52
Size:  18.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    No it goes london business school / Warwick.

Cambridge/ LSE

Oxford/ Durham/ Manchester/ Imperial Name:  5BF767F4-1FFC-43BE-A6E3-8036F60556C1.jpg.jpeg
Views: 52
Size:  18.8 KB
    Regarding ft ,qs ranking cass and cranfield should better than durham and reading.

WBS is better than LBS and cambridge. No imperial in ranking. It should be something wrong with your ranking. I dont think it is right ranking.

My ranking is only refer to msc finance not undergrade or mba.

ReputationRep:
    http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...xperience-2017

http://www.best-masters.com/ranking-...e-finance.html
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tier 1 LBS
    Tier 2 Oxbridge

For msc finance
    Would say for a pre-experience masters:

Tier 1: LSE/LBS
    Tier 1.5: Imperial/Cass/WBS/Oxbridge
    Everything else

There's a pretty solidly uniform drop after the target masters programs for placement. The appeal of going to a bristol/durham/edinburgh/manchester/st as etc is for the brand name alone really - recruiting isn't that great for proper finance roles.

Lancaster, Strathclyde, Cranfield are all great departments but the brand and recruiting for top roles isn't there.

That said all of these would be excellent if you wanted to pursue e.g. finance departments within companies, middle and back office roles in banks, commercial banking, small cap banks etc. Could find something better if you bust your ass though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Would say for a pre-experience masters:

Tier 1: LSE/LBS
    Tier 1.5: Imperial/Cass/WBS/Oxbridge
    Everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much.
    I am foreigner,so I dont know much about brand. May I ask you why do you think cranfield is not good brand because after I search many ranking qs,ft,bloomberg and forbes, it is one of the top.

How can compare to Durham and Manchester?

Durham is not high in ranking but old and traditional uni.
    Manchester is high in many rank qs,bloomberg,forbes but not high in ft which I think it is most trustworthy.

Thank you again for your time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How about cranfield and manchester? Both is high in many ranking qs, ft, bloomberg, forbes.
    see my edited post

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    see my edited post

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you . I just edit it also.

ReputationRep:

Is this purely an academic debate or is there some purpose to asking the question, OP?

ReputationRep:
    Regarding ft ,qs ranking cass and cranfield should better than durham and reading.

WBS is better than LBS and cambridge. No imperial in ranking. It should be something wrong with your ranking. I dont think it is right ranking.

My ranking is only refer to msc finance not undergrade or mba.
    The city am ranking is not lefitimate in any way

ReputationRep:
    1LBS Oxford Cambridge LSE

2Warwick Imperial Cranfield Cass Manchester

3Edinburgh Strathclyde Lancaster Durham Henley

4 Exerter Aston Brimingham ....

For postgraud and MBA( for international students)

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham, Nottingham, Nottingham,

And according to the guardian Nottingham Trent lol.

But no seriously really if you can stay in the top 15 of the UK you should be fine, for business you basically need a masters degree if you want to really have a hot career. So undergrad just needs to be respectable enough for you to be able to apply somewhere smancy later.

Really try and go to a place where you will work hard, but also can play. Make sure you really love the uni, just make sure its a good one so you have a reason to!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2018

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.