Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have always felt like my decision to go to university was forced, I've applied and got offers, but I'm not sure if that's what I really want. But there's also my parents to take into consideration, they're really happy and proud of what I've decided on, and that made me feel happy because I value them so much. I'm scared I won't get the grades, I'm scared of things that could happen. I can't go too far away from home, because I have to look after one of my family members, it's to the extent that if I move away there's a possibility that he won't be there when I come back. It's so terrifying to think about.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's okay to be nervous and scared, the fact that you can admit how you feel is the first stage to happiness. What course have you applied for? If you really dislike the course you can take a gap year and reapply. Taking a year out may help you to clear your head, look after the family member and give you breathing space to think. I am sure your parents would understand and tell them you will reapply the following year.

ReputationRep:
    I do really want to do law, I have since I was little but the whole idea of university, I just don't know if it's for me. A gap year has never crossed my mind

ReputationRep:
    I’m studying Law at university right now and honestly it’s such an exciting subject to learn. But, I have noticed that it doesn’t matter how many text books you read or how many hours you spend on studying, nothing quite prepares you enough for life in a legal profession apart from practical experience itself. If you really don’t think that university life is for you (which is understandable because not everyone will enjoy life at uni) I would recommend looking at legal apprenticeships as you gain the formal qualifications you’ll need to practice law whilst you learn on the job and gain tonnes of experience (and you essentially earn while you learn haha). I’m sure there are many apprentice opportunities where you live and so you’ll still be able to live at home to take care of your family member too so it seems like a win win situation for all involved.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.