Turn on thread page Beta

Probabilities to enter a finance foundation year as a late applicant watch

ReputationRep:
    Greetings everyone!

I have been very stressed since last week, all because the UCAS applications. I'm always asking myself if, despite all my efforts, I will be able to study at university this year. I don't think I can work one more year at my job, I hate it!

Don't judge me, I have my personal reasons for missing the UCAS deadline. I realized too late that what I wanted to do was study finance at university.

Another negative point for my application is my reference. I left education just three years ago, and I tried to contact my old school since last week but they are not replying me. I called the universities asking if I can send my application without a reference, but they all need it (I almost forgot, before this, I had to call a lot of universities asking if they still have spaces for me, wich only a few of them had. Then I realized that I can use my employer as my referee, but I asked a university just to make sure, and they told me that they only accept an academic referee. I haven't called other universities because my employer was the only option for me anyways.

So today I asked my actual manager to write my reference, not my employer, because I worked in a big company and I never see my employer, and the only person that knows me very well is my manager. But right now she told me that she can't be my reference, that the person in charge of references is HR. I honestly don't know how can this person write a reference for me since literally I have never seen him/her in my life! I'm still waiting for him/her to reply (hopefully tomorrow)

Another problem that I have is that I moved to the UK six months ago so, as you can see, english is not a strong point for me. Plus I haven't done any english exam that they require at universities.

What I want to know is that if you guys think that I will recieve at least one offer from an university. Is a finance with foundation year a very demanded course? Do you know of someone that enter the university sending a late application or/and with no reference (or employer reference) or/and without an english exam?

Thank you very much guys. I accept all types of critics (as long as they are respectful), so I can use them for future similar situations.

Just to let you know: I know that all this story is not necessary, that I just have to ask my questions, but I wrote my actual situation so someone in the next years with my same or similar circumstances can read it and hopefully find a bit of hope for his future studies. I promise, I couldn't find someone with a similar situation, that is why I wrote this post.

Thank you for giving me your time, I wish you all the best!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by BryanTroya)
    Greetings everyone!

I have been very stressed since last week, all because the UCAS applications. I'm always asking myself if, despite all my efforts, I will be able to study at university this year. I don't think I can work one more year at my job, I hate it!

Don't judge me, I have my personal reasons for missing the UCAS deadline. I realized too late that what I wanted to do was study finance at university.

Another negative point for my application is my reference. I left education just three years ago, and I tried to contact my old school since last week but they are not replying me. I called the universities asking if I can send my application without a reference, but they all need it (I almost forgot, before this, I had to call a lot of universities asking if they still have spaces for me, wich only a few of them had. Then I realized that I can use my employer as my referee, but I asked a university just to make sure, and they told me that they only accept an academic referee. I haven't called other universities because my employer was the only option for me anyways.

So today I asked my actual manager to write my reference, not my employer, because I worked in a big company and I never see my employer, and the only person that knows me very well is my manager. But right now she told me that she can't be my reference, that the person in charge of references is HR. I honestly don't know how can this person write a reference for me since literally I have never seen him/her in my life! I'm still waiting for him/her to reply (hopefully tomorrow)

Another problem that I have is that I moved to the UK six months ago so, as you can see, english is not a strong point for me. Plus I haven't done any english exam that they require at universities.

What I want to know is that if you guys think that I will recieve at least one offer from an university. Is a finance with foundation year a very demanded course? Do you know of someone that enter the university sending a late application or/and with no reference (or employer reference) or/and without an english exam?

Thank you very much guys. I accept all types of critics (as long as they are respectful), so I can use them for future similar situations.

Just to let you know: I know that all this story is not necessary, that I just have to ask my questions, but I wrote my actual situation so someone in the next years with my same or similar circumstances can read it and hopefully find a bit of hope for his future studies. I promise, I couldn't find someone with a similar situation, that is why I wrote this post.

Thank you for giving me your time, I wish you all the best!
    Which country is it you've moved from and what qualifications do you have? You could go through ucas extra and get a place if you can find somewhere that will accept an employers reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Which country is it you've moved from and what qualifications do you have? You could go through ucas extra and get a place if you can find somewhere that will accept an employers reference.
    I moved from Spain, and an average of 6,21/10 (I wasn't a very good student by then, but I know I changed and I can do it better at uni) in "Bachillerato", I think the equivalent in the UK is GCE (?). I just have that.

Does anyone know if, in the previous years, there were still places available for finance with foundation year through UCAS extra or Clearing?

Thank you for replying 😁

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.