Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have my options and I wanted to know whether I should pick geography or history. I would hopefully like to be either a doctor or psychologist. But I am really unsure about whether to do history or geography. I found out that in history we would be doing the study of medicine and I don't know if that would help me further in becoming a doctor or it doesn't really do anything. My grades for both subject are really good and there also about the same

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've applied for medicine this year and am doing geography, I'm probably biased but I love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiba98)
    I have my options and I wanted to know whether I should pick geography or history. I would hopefully like to be either a doctor or psychologist. But I am really unsure about whether to do history or geography. I found out that in history we would be doing the study of medicine and I don't know if that would help me further in becoming a doctor or it doesn't really do anything. My grades for both subject are really good and there also about the same

I can relate to u in the future career sense but i have already picked my GCSES. Honestly, none of them have a direct impact in you becoming a doctor. Just pick the one you prefer. That's simply it. It's good to have humanities in your GCSES but it doesn't NEED to be history, it can also be geography. In my case i picked geography, disliked it and swapped to history. It's just your personal preference.

Hope that helps!
    Good luck
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    GCSE History or Geography wouldn't really have a great impact on your career aspects because you're only studying the basics really. I think subject choice matters more at A-Level because Medicine genuinely requires Biology and Chemistry if I'm not mistaken.

As I do A-Level History, I'm going to be biased towards History because I love it but I'm sure that both subjects would be great choices.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you like the best, and what you feel most confident in. Medicine does not depend on what you take for GCSE, just what you get. As long as you like it and are confident in it, you'll get the right grades.

Personally I'd say Geography... why learn about the past, right?

ReputationRep:
    Both great subjects but they're equally as useful, one isn't more valuable than the other. Really it's up to you and which one you prefer. Both cover health topics. In my school though, if you wanted to do A level geography you were expected to do GCSE geography first, however you didn't need GCSE history to do it at A level. Varies though. Just choose whichever you like more.

ReputationRep:
    I’m doing both atm and I’m finding them both so interesting and all the high end universities like to see that you’ve done the classical subjects like history and geography so if you’re allowed to taking both is an excellent idea if not GEOGRAPHY ALL THE WAY!!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Re what's been said, if you can take both then do that but if not, pick your favourite, the one you can see yourself studying for the next 2 years. I have lots of friends who do geography, not history but want to do medicine but are just as suited to do it as rhose who took history. My friend does the GCSE history course atm and it's more about the history of how treatment has changed so doesn't really affect now, you do also do a little bit of that in biology in realtion to small pox and Edward jenner
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.