The Student Room Group

When people use long words to sound smart but really sound dumb

I need some examples of when people use long and complex words just to sound smart but actually sound dumb.
thanks a lot.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hate when people use big words to make them sound ambidextrous.
I totally photosynthesise with you
The one I hate and it is not really a long word but....... I am a nurse and I hear it all the time from men.

" the GP felt my prostrate" ggggrrrrrrrr
It's also very discombombulating whenever you hear people trying to be clever like that as you try to figure out what the hell they are on about.
Original post by spamdan44
I need some examples of when people use long and complex words just to sound smart but actually sound dumb.
thanks a lot.

I think you mean "I require numerous exemplifications of when persons use elongated and complicated verbiage just to sound sagacious but ipso facto sound thick as sh!t".
People who're sesquipedalian's right?
people who cannot pronounce simple Welsh placenames like Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
thanks a lot.

Original post by timmonaportella

hit. The. Nail. On. The. Head.
Original post by the bear
people who cannot pronounce simple Welsh placenames like Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

I'm Welsh and can just about pronounce this when I saw it slowly...
Have no examples of such people but hate when some men try to act chivalric but they're really just oleaginous.
That people who ostentatiously use long words to look smarter only try to show their iridescence. However, we don't know is their soul rich as much as their soul.
Reply 14
It's quite photosynthesis when people bildungsroman their mitochondrial matrix in the allosteric site to the equivocal lexis of the ganglion.
This thread is superfluously ostentatious.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SUAThApzhCw

Joey’s adoption letter for Monica and Chandler in Friends.
Lol the comments here are funny but I have nothing smart to say :redface:
Reply 18
thanks a lot.

It annoys me even more when it’s a simple word like SCHEDULE they can’t pronounce.

Skejul?

Annoys me even more when people have no idea when to use ‘a’ or ‘an’ 🐸
(edited 6 years ago)
thanks a lot.

@Profesh

Yes this ginger doughnut is the perfect example of a bell-end that uses big words to sound smart!

Quick Reply

Latest