Turn on thread page Beta

When people use long words to sound smart but really sound dumb watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    I think you mean "I require numerous exemplifications of when persons use elongated and complicated verbiage just to sound sagacious but ipso facto sound thick as sh!t".
    brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hate it when someone just overcomplicates other people's work:

I require some examples of when people use long and intricate words just to sound perspicacious but genuinely sound incoherent.
    thanks a lot.

Oh wait.... :smile:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BakingPowder)
    Yeah I hate it when someone just overcomplicates other people's work:

I require some examples of when people use long and intricate words just to sound perspicacious but genuinely sound incoherent.
    thanks a lot.

Oh wait.... :smile:
    i was utterly incognizant of the material to which you alluded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i was utterly incognizant of the material to which you alluded
    The terms that you previously eloquented bamboozled me to an incomprehensible level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Know Your Enemy)
    Have no examples of such people but hate when some men try to act chivalric but they're really just oleaginous.
    Hm. Apropos your repudiation of putative suitors I'd aver 'obsequious' to be a more apposite reproach vis-à-vis the opprobrium posed by such an odious supplication, but whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I always think this when they have coppers giving press statements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Hm. Apropos your repudiation of putative suitors I'd aver 'obsequious' to be a more apposite reproach vis-à-vis the opprobrium posed by such an odious supplication, but whatever.
    No idea what the bloody hell you just said but it was so eloquently put. :laugh:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not as bad as people who always, without fail, directly insult the other person's intellect in a debate as a genuine part of their argument. To insult someone's intelligence is, ironically, the hallmark of a moron.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by UWS)
    I hate when people use big words to make them sound ambidextrous.
    I dunno. Some people do say that only people of average intellect use big words to make them seem intelligent, but I think that's all just photosynthesis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BakingPowder)
    The terms that you previously eloquented bamboozled me to an incomprehensible level.

my heartiest contrafibularities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Know Your Enemy)
    No idea what the bloody hell you just said but it was so eloquently put. :laugh:
    He sure is funny, isn’t he?

ReputationRep:
    Every time I suffer from insomnia I shall hasten back to this scintillating discussion of a thread and promptly descend into a sound slumber.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I always think this when they have coppers giving press statements
    2'42" onwards:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    2'42" onwards:

I must say that I found this slightly amusing and entertaining.

Do you indeed speak as you write on here, or do you tone it down irl? I wonder how you would find conversing with someone fluent in ‘street’. I myself speak a little street but I’m not fluent by any means.

ReputationRep:
    For some real life examples of this, check out postmodern writing:

"The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power." (Butler, 1997)

"If, for a while, the ruse of desire is calculable for the uses of discipline soon the repetition of guilt, justification, pseudo-scientific theories, superstition, spurious authorities, and classifications can be seen as the desperate effort to “normalize” formally the disturbance of a discourse of splitting that violates the rational, enlightened claims of its enunciatory modality." (Bhabha, 1994)

Loads more here: http://www.denisdutton.com/bad_writing.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    For some real life examples of this, check out postmodern writing:

"The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power." (Butler, 1997)

"If, for a while, the ruse of desire is calculable for the uses of discipline soon the repetition of guilt, justification, pseudo-scientific theories, superstition, spurious authorities, and classifications can be seen as the desperate effort to “normalize” formally the disturbance of a discourse of splitting that violates the rational, enlightened claims of its enunciatory modality." (Bhabha, 1994)

Loads more here: http://www.denisdutton.com/bad_writing.htm
    I might actually have found a cure to my sleep problems :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree with Butler entirely. Upon first reading he/she makes total sense and could not be more transparent about the departure from Althusserian theory. Goodnight.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.