Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When do I need to start planning to move out? Want to move out when I go to university but not sure how as I’ve never lived on my own before. Want to move in with my boyfriend who is currently at uni. Would be need to get a private flat or private accommodation since we are from different unis? If the course starts in September when would I need to contact landlords? How do I even go about trying to get a flat? How do I know what I can afford? So confused and just want advice from someone who is currently at uni and living somewhere, preferably in Scotland
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The first step is working out what you can afford. Weigh up your maintenance loan and any money you will earn with a job, with the price of rented houses/flats in the area, leaving money aside for bills, council tax, food and other crap things. Then when you find places in your budget you can get in touch with landlords etc.

However renting is generally crap and expensive. Do you need to live together if you will be so close? IMO you would be better off at least for the first year just living in your uni accommodations, this way you will learn responsibilities such as paying rent on time and budgeting before you get your own place together.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help. If I have to stay on my own I don’t really want to move out. I’m struggling between choosing a uni close to my house and just living with my family or choosing a uni close to my boyfriend uni so we can stay together
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by megzz23)
    When do I need to start planning to move out? Want to move out when I go to university but not sure how as I’ve never lived on my own before. Want to move in with my boyfriend who is currently at uni. Would be need to get a private flat or private accommodation since we are from different unis? If the course starts in September when would I need to contact landlords? How do I even go about trying to get a flat? How do I know what I can afford? So confused and just want advice from someone who is currently at uni and living somewhere, preferably in Scotland
    As del1rious said, it's best to stay in halls during first-year. I know you want to live with your boyfriend, but living in halls means you'll be able to get a real taste of student life. It'll also be a lot easier to access support should you need it in university-owned halls.

You and your boyfriend are students, so will be exempt from council tax and also water/sewerage charges if you're on an unmetered connection, as water charges are collected via council tax for Scottish Water (I know this is true for Glasgow City Council and Edinburgh City Council). This applies even if you're renting privately too.

Some universities offer couple flats (even if your other half isn't a student at that particular uni) and they're generally cheaper and it means you won't have to deal with scummy landlords.

I'm a first-year at Edinburgh and judging by what my friends are saying, they're in the process of securing flats NOW. I don't know which part of Scotland you're studying in, but the rental market here is insane.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.