Turn on thread page Beta

Triple science is horrific - how do I revise it?! watch

ReputationRep:
    I have never really revised. I mean, I kind of have, just not ACTUAL revision, where you sit down and go through textbooks, make notes, revision spreads etc. I tried that last year (did 2 GCSEs in year 10) and just thought 'this sucks, I'll just wing it' which works fine for everything... But not science. Biology, Chemistry and Physics are going to be my downfall. Like, I can barely scrape a 6. On a good day. I just don't get it. None of it makes sense. It's all just electrons and alkalis and phagocytes and the motor effect and just random words that don't make sense. I can memorise from a textbook fine, just not APPLY it. Any tips? Sorry for rambling.

ReputationRep:
    I did triple science years ago, thinking I'd fail it all, but I surprisingly got A* in biology, chemistry and physics (despite the fact I was cr*p in all three). Honestly, the only reason I did so well was because I stayed on top of all the classes and made revision material straight after each topic. So say you're studying the production of ammonia and have finished it in class a week later, draw mind maps/brainstorm your notes/create flashcards, so that when it's time for the exam, you've got all your material ready to revise from and you've got plenty of time to read, read and repeat.

I also suggest using colour and lots of diagrams, especially if you're a visual learner like me. It'll help lots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphrosyne)
    I did triple science years ago, thinking I'd fail it all, but I surprisingly got A* in biology, chemistry and physics (despite the fact I was cr*p in all three). Honestly, the only reason I did so well was because I stayed on top of all the classes and made revision material straight after each topic. So say you're studying the production of ammonia and have finished it in class a week later, draw mind maps/brainstorm your notes/create flashcards, so that when it's time for the exam, you've got all your material ready to revise from and you've got plenty of time to read, read and repeat.

I also suggest using colour and lots of diagrams, especially if you're a visual learner like me. It'll help lots.
    Wow, 3 A*s is amazing! Thanks for the response, and yep, I'm a visual learner, so coloured diagrams would probably be a good idea Now I guess I'll have to start revising sooner rather than later - last year I just crammed the night before! Definitely not enough time to read + repeat! Thank you for your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PearlOrbit)
    Wow, 3 A*s is amazing! Thanks for the response, and yep, I'm a visual learner, so coloured diagrams would probably be a good idea Now I guess I'll have to start revising sooner rather than later - last year I just crammed the night before! Definitely not enough time to read + repeat! Thank you for your advice
    It was a shock, but it's just proof that hard work pays off! I am such a victim to late minute cramming, but triple science is so demanding and there's so much that goes on, on top of all your other GCSE subjects, so you might as well stay on top of things now cause it'll help you so much in the future. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You are still on time for this I suppose:

Get hold of past papers for your qualification, from the most recent and work backwards
    Get the marks chemes for those papers.
    Write down the question type and the mark-scheme points for it on a notebook.
    Learn the sentences given on those mark schemes, that's what you have to write when you exam comes up.

This tragically doesn't work for physics or chemistry calculations, but it's a start

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    try as many little quizzes as possible. Test yourself on each subject, and return to these topics regularly. Means you'll remember it better through the constant re-testing, and can figure out easily the areas you struggle with. make your own tests and use ones available online (eg. quizlet, https://senecalearning.com/ - although that's more all round revision. does both testing and teaching so pretty useful all the way through)
    And then with the parts you do find hard, use as many different methods of trying to understand them as possible. Use youtube videos, podcasts, text books, revision guides etc. One of them will explain it in a very different way that will hit home with you and really help you both understand and remember it! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    i read through the revision guide for each subject then did past papers and got a stars in all of them. this was about a month before the exam

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend Khan Academy. Although it’s not aimed towards GCSE students and more towards the American system , it still has all the basic content of our courses. It helps having someone explain something in a different way than say in class. Otherwise, just go through your textbooks and cut down to the topics you don’t understand (there’s no point at this stage learning what you already understand). Then one by one start learning these topics - go to your teachers .. maybe get a tutor if that’s an option to you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi PearlOrbit

I am doing GCSE tripple science aswell and what i have found is watching youtube videos on the topics you dont understand helps me and making notes on the videos (DEFINITELY reccomend freesciencevideos on youtube he is great at explaining things) has caused my sciences to go from 5's to 7's worth a go. I dont get sciences either!!! Once you've done that find past paper questions and answer them to check you can apply your knowledge. x

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.