Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to find boyfriend as a gay teen watch

ReputationRep:
    So, it was Valentine's Day today.
    I have spent 16 years of my life being single. I am now seeing people around me getting into relationships.
    My focus at the moment is exams (when I am not having a depression episode due to being in the closet), but next year, I will have done and got good marks in the main exams, that I will have less to do. At that time, I would like to start to find a boyfriend.

Does anyone have any tips on how to find one? Especially being a gay teen at a Catholic school in Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly coming out and putting yourself out there is often a good way to get started. At the same time, I know it is not easy, and so you should do it only if you feel ready (maybe you could start with a sibling or a friend you feel particularly close to, or an LGBT person you already know). Although I don't know your situation, it normally isn't as bad or big as you envision it now.
    There are some dating apps for young LGBT people, I remember one called Distinc.tt. Definitely stay away from Grindr or any of the adult ones until you're 18...

Don't worry about having people around getting into relationships, the truth is, when us gays go to uni we usually end up having more action than anyone else around us

Be careful of getting crushes on straight people, it's easy and harmful, and they stick around like dead weight. Instead, form meaningful friendships and the relationships will come eventually.

Grinder

ReputationRep:
    Grindr is a no-go zone for me. I know of it's reputation and want none of that.

(Original post by tremen222)
    Honestly coming out and putting yourself out there is often a good way to get started. At the same time, I know it is not easy, and so you should do it only if you feel ready (maybe you could start with a sibling or a friend you feel particularly close to, or an LGBT person you already know). Although I don't know your situation, it normally isn't as bad or big as you envision it now.
    There are some dating apps for young LGBT people, I remember one called Distinc.tt. Definitely stay away from Grindr or any of the adult ones until you're 18...

Don't worry about having people around getting into relationships, the truth is, when us gays go to uni we usually end up having more action than anyone else around us

Be careful of getting crushes on straight people, it's easy and harmful, and they stick around like dead weight. Instead, form meaningful friendships and the relationships will come eventually.
    I haven't got any LGBT people in my life. That makes it tough. I am planning to come out later this year, but that really scares me as my parents are Catholic and don't seem quite comfortable with LGBT issues. I haven't got any good friends, and as for siblings, I don't trust my sister not to out me to my parents, plus I don't really care about what she would think about my sexuality.

Uni is still like 18 months away. Just feels like such a long time until I can meet some gay people. I can't wait to get there, but I have to endure another 15 months at a Catholic school, with no openly gay people.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, that above post made me anonymous.
    I haven't got any LGBT people in my life. That makes it tough. I am planning to come out later this year, but that really scares me as my parents are Catholic and don't seem quite comfortable with LGBT issues. I haven't got any good friends, and as for siblings, I don't trust my sister not to out me to my parents, plus I don't really care about what she would think about my sexuality.
    Uni is still like 18 months away. Just feels like such a long time until I can meet some gay people and find someone who I actually love. I can't wait to get there, but I have to endure another 15 months at a Catholic school, with no openly gay people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2001)
    I can't wait to get there, but I have to endure another 15 months at a Catholic school, with no openly gay people.
    If there is something experience has taught me is that when you come out, if there were any gay people in your year, they will eventually come out to your as well.
    The fact that your school is a catholic should not concern you. Just remind them of the teachings of Jesus Christ regarding neighbour, or of the current Pope himself.
    Most importantly, you are lucky in that the law of this country protects you above anyone else around you.

(Original post by tremen222)
    If there is something experience has taught me is that when you come out, if there were any gay people in your year, they will eventually come out to your as well.
    I would be honored to do that, but I just don't really know how I would come out in my school. If it can help others, then I would be really happy.

Why does the thread keep making me anonymous?

ReputationRep:
    Oops, just found the setting. Changed it. Same poster regardless.

ReputationRep:
    Bumping up this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Any more advice?

I really am craving for someone special in my life.

ReputationRep:
    Resurrecting this thread. Does anyone have some more advice?
    Whilst I am busy until May, I am wanting to put myself out there afterwards. I haven't got any friends at school, so it's not as if I can be happy being single, like many other people. Maybe if I have a boyfriend, that would also introduce me to more gay people to be friends with.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.