The Student Room Group

Does your uni monitor attendance?

Poll

Does your uni monitor class attendance?

I'm at UCLAN and we have a student ID card. Every lecture theater, classroom and lab has card scanners outside the door where you have to scan your card in to show you have attended. You must always scan your ID card in to show you have attended.

I remember when I went to Manchester University years ago we did not have to scan your student ID card for every lecture/lab/practical etc. There simply wasn't any card scanners nor did we have to sign a register.

So does your university monitor attendance for every lecture/lab etc?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We do for seminars, but it's a case of signing a register.
Original post by sentient cake
I'm at UCLAN and we have a student ID card. Every lecture theater, classroom, lab has card scanners outside the door where you have to scan your card in to show you have attended.

I remember when I went to Manchester University years ago we did not have to scan your student ID card for every lecture/lab/practical etc.

It only did for my seminars. Other courses it did for everything

Yet there was only like 20 tops n each of my lectures so if someone wasnt there, they knew!
Every lecture theater, classroom and lab has card scanners outside the door where you have to scan your card in to show you have attended. You must always scan your ID card in to show you have attended.

Same :sigh:
there are notices everywhere about attendances and have to sign in with your card for absolutely everything
We do, but mainly for seminars ajdn thejn register. depending on see leader will count and check (someone been called out because signatures =/= people there, and was accounting sem, and leader said it was fraud all this..., hilarious!), but for most lectures not...

Best bit in a lecture though was one lecturer saying "we need to do this as we have a lot of Asians here and have to check their visas" - priceless! But true!
Reply 5
I think most universities have those card scanners now instead of passing a register around the class. We use the card scanners but I have one lecturer who asks us to sign the register too, so she can see for herself who turned up to the lecture and lab (she picks it up during the break and actually reads through it to see who didn't turn up - I guess this works because there's only about 50 of us).
Reply 6
During my undergraduate it was only in labs and seminars- by third year they started doing registers once a week in random lectures.

Now during my postgraduate there are only 16 of us on the course and registers are done in each morning and afternoon session (+ compulsory research seminars to attend)
In my first two years of uni we had sign-in sheets. Now we have to check in using the university app which detects your location via bluetooth. It doesn't always work though, and sometimes people check in from outside the room.
Reply 8
In my final year at university we had student cards that we used for registration and sign in, but mostly in seminars and stuff all three years we just had a written attendance sheet.
I'm at UCLAN and we have a student ID card. Every lecture theater, classroom and lab has card scanners outside the door where you have to scan your card in to show you have attended. You must always scan your ID card in to show you have attended.

I remember when I went to Manchester University years ago we did not have to scan your student ID card for every lecture/lab/practical etc. There simply wasn't any card scanners nor did we have to sign a register.

Here at Edinburgh, we do have matriculation cards that have your photograph and an RFID chip embedded inside with the usual details about a student. However, there aren't any card readers on the doors of lecture theatres, and attendance in lectures is mainly taken using an online system called TopHat whereby an attendance code is shown and you're supposed to enter it onto your mobile device to "mark" yourself in as present. It's random every time.

Paper registers/online registers are used to track tutorial attendance and it's the only real measure of course engagement here (I think).

The university is fussier about attendance for Tier 4 Visa students to meet UKVI regulations etc.
Nah, we don't
Original post by gjd800
We do for seminars, but it's a case of signing a register.

I hated seminars because everyone was as lazy as me and didn't do the work. So I developed a system to avoid the maximum number of seminars consecutively without being flagged up. I could miss 3 and I would have to go to the 4th. I would get termly "are you dying?" but no meetings or anything.
(edited 6 years ago)
Only for international students
Only for 1 seminar for one module. My other modules it isn’t enforced, and the maths staff wonder why people don’t turn up.
Nope.

Every lecture is recorded. Haven't actually been to any lectures for like 3-4 weeks now tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My first degree was a healthcare course, so I had to have at least 85% attendance each year in order to graduate. They would pass round a paper register to sign at least twice per lecture at random times, to make sure people didn't just turn up, sign, then leave (or leave in the break and not come back).

All of my lectures/seminars/conference talks are compulsory in my current MA, and we have a paper register to sign. We only get into trouble if we miss 4 sessions in a row (lectures and/or seminars) for a particular module.
(edited 6 years ago)
Keele haven't reached the stage of electronic registration yet. Still have to pass round a paper one.:rolleyes:

More typical in seminars, but in some lectures too.:erm:

Have had a few passive aggressive emails when I've missed them.:redface:
Original post by Princepieman
Nope.

Every lecture is recorded. Haven't actually been to any lectures for like 3-4 weeks now tbh.
Very jealous.

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Only for international students
Interesting.:curious:
No. I don't really get the point, if you're not attending lectures, the only person who's going to lose out is you?
For my university (UKC) we just have paper registers for seminars. No attendance for lectures or anything like that..

Quick Reply

Latest