Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Year 12, am currently debating the course I should apply for, and would be interested in hearing from anyone who is doing/has done Maths with Physics (in the first year), or generally Maths or NatSci, at Cambridge (although any help - including insight from any other universities - would be appreciated). I'm probably going to apply for this course with an interest in pursuing theoretical physics eventually, but would like to know whether one would be disadvantaged as a physicist by taking maths at undergraduate level.

I've gleaned the impression that for theoretical physics especially maths is the degree to take now, but want to know about what studying maths is really like from a physics perspective: does one not gain any practical insight at all, or is one considerably less knowledgeable about some physics than those studying NatSci? If I also decide to pursue some other physics in any way after undergraduate level, in whatever way, will it be OK to have done maths instead of physics? More fundamentally, how much physics is there really in a maths degree? I'm probably more interested in physics or applied maths than pure maths, and although I've had a look at the content and seen a lot of applied maths, I'm interested in word-of-mouth appraisal of how physical the course is.

In addition, finally, if I get to study Maths with Physics in the first year, how much extra work would you say is required to adapt to either Maths or (hypothetically) NatSci from the second year onward?

Many thanks for any help/insight!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 490825)
    Hi, I'm in Year 12, am currently debating the course I should apply for, and would be interested in hearing from anyone who is doing/has done Maths with Physics (in the first year), or generally Maths or NatSci, at Cambridge (although any help - including insight from any other universities - would be appreciated). I'm probably going to apply for this course with an interest in pursuing theoretical physics eventually, but would like to know whether one would be disadvantaged as a physicist by taking maths at undergraduate level.

I've gleaned the impression that for theoretical physics especially maths is the degree to take now, but want to know about what studying maths is really like from a physics perspective: does one not gain any practical insight at all, or is one considerably less knowledgeable about some physics than those studying NatSci? If I also decide to pursue some other physics in any way after undergraduate level, in whatever way, will it be OK to have done maths instead of physics? More fundamentally, how much physics is there really in a maths degree? I'm probably more interested in physics or applied maths than pure maths, and although I've had a look at the content and seen a lot of applied maths, I'm interested in word-of-mouth appraisal of how physical the course is.

In addition, finally, if I get to study Maths with Physics in the first year, how much extra work would you say is required to adapt to either Maths or (hypothetically) NatSci from the second year onward?

Many thanks for any help/insight!

Hey,

Sorry to see you have not had a response to this

Although the thread has not been active for some time, posts like this:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post71134656

May help.

Wish you luck with your choice, although I don't know much about it I'm sure it'll work out in the end whichever route you take as long as you work hard where necessary:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.