I need a new laptop... Watch

gussssss
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by KylieemilyJ)
i usually do too but this bloke is like super man of sales. he did say that the warranty meant i can take it for a check annually and he even told me to drop my laptop at the end of the 3 years and theyd replace it. this is the laptop i have
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...YOeg&gclsrc=ds
Ohh that replacement offer Linda makes it worth it. However I'm gonna go for the £329 ideapad, if rather have better specs over warranty bc I overpower laptops too much lool, need one that can handle me (watch, it'll be mangled soon). Cheer again
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by KylieemilyJ)
i dont want to spend loads on it, i just need it for streaming videos, music etc and doing courses for work...

What laptops/macbooks have you got, how much, where did you get them and are they any good! i would prefer lightweight as i often take it to the pub or to a friends
My MacBook was pretty expensive... But if I had the option to go back in time, I'd get myself an MSI gaming laptop with the money instead; with the MacBooks you're just paying for the logo.

Maybe this thread may be of use to you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5000458

Tagging AngryJellyfish to get this moved to the Laptops, netbooks and tablets forum.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I don't like jumping on these threads when they've already had so many posts but there's quite a few things I'd like to clear up:

Chromebooks and stream machines: Not worth the money. They are cheaper than regular laptops for a reason, because they generally lack everything that makes a laptop worth owning (storage, processing power, RAM, even a decent OS in the case of Chromebooks). Steer well clear of anything new that's under £200 because odds are it'll be a Chromebook or stream machine and won't fulfill your needs.

Someone mentioned that 2GB (I assume RAM) would "do well" but 4GB would be safe. This is really not true. Windows 10 is designed to run on somewhere between 1GB and 2GB of RAM, which doesn't leave much to actually do some work. I checked to see what I was actually using in terms of RAM right now, just to write this answer and Firefox was sucking up close to 0.5GB. Chrome is sits at similar numbers. If you are streaming from YouTube, or want to have a few tabs open while you do some coursework or basically want to do any multitasking you're really going to struggle on 2GB of RAM. Realistically speaking, 4GB is the absolute bare minimum you want to aim for in terms of RAM and spending a little more to get 8GB means you won't ever have problems and can comfortably use your laptop for several years without it feeling outdated or needing an upgrade.

Processor: Not really much to say here, you don't need anything fancy. A basic i3 or even something from Intel's Pentium/Celeron range would suffice. Again, if you're willing to spend a bit more then aim for an i3. It's quite a bit more expensive but this is one of my default recommendations at the moment for people looking for a solid laptop. You'd never have any trouble with something like this and providing you looked after it I can see it easily lasting many years.

Display: I'm surprised this has not been mentioned. You're streaming videos so you want a nice 1080p display.

Overall I guess my recommendation would be this, it's not top of the line but it'll suffice and would be a good mix of performance on a budget. If the budget were higher I'd absolutely recommend the £479 laptop that I linked above though.

At this point when browsing through the thread, I saw that the OP had already purchased a laptop and since I don't want to feel like I wasted the time writing this reply, I'm gonna post it anyway. Something to be wary of though, don't let Currys fool you into buying rubbish you don't need. The Office subscription you purchased would have been for one year, this time next year you will need to pay again. It would be better for you to not pay for the subscription and instead buy Office as a one off purchase. Rather than constant payments you just pay once and within 2 years you've saved money. Depending on the antivirus, you may have been ripped off there, odds are there would have been cheaper options available and in all honesty, common sense is a better substitute for antivirus. Finally don't bother buying the warranty. By default your laptop would come with at least 1, maybe 2 years warranty from the manufacturer. Currys warranty is therefore a waste and is completely unnecessary providing you look after your laptop. That said, considering the OP mentioned taking the laptop to the pub (which does not sound like a great idea) you may find yourself needing it.
152mmOfDerp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Acsel)
I don't like jumping on these threads when they've already had so many posts but there's quite a few things I'd like to clear up:

Chromebooks and stream machines: Not worth the money. They are cheaper than regular laptops for a reason, because they generally lack everything that makes a laptop worth owning (storage, processing power, RAM, even a decent OS in the case of Chromebooks). Steer well clear of anything new that's under £200 because odds are it'll be a Chromebook or stream machine and won't fulfill your needs.

Someone mentioned that 2GB (I assume RAM) would "do well" but 4GB would be safe. This is really not true. Windows 10 is designed to run on somewhere between 1GB and 2GB of RAM, which doesn't leave much to actually do some work. I checked to see what I was actually using in terms of RAM right now, just to write this answer and Firefox was sucking up close to 0.5GB. Chrome is sits at similar numbers. If you are streaming from YouTube, or want to have a few tabs open while you do some coursework or basically want to do any multitasking you're really going to struggle on 2GB of RAM. Realistically speaking, 4GB is the absolute bare minimum you want to aim for in terms of RAM and spending a little more to get 8GB means you won't ever have problems and can comfortably use your laptop for several years without it feeling outdated or needing an upgrade.

Processor: Not really much to say here, you don't need anything fancy. A basic i3 or even something from Intel's Pentium/Celeron range would suffice. Again, if you're willing to spend a bit more then aim for an i3. It's quite a bit more expensive but this is one of my default recommendations at the moment for people looking for a solid laptop. You'd never have any trouble with something like this and providing you looked after it I can see it easily lasting many years.

Display: I'm surprised this has not been mentioned. You're streaming videos so you want a nice 1080p display.

Overall I guess my recommendation would be this, it's not top of the line but it'll suffice and would be a good mix of performance on a budget. If the budget were higher I'd absolutely recommend the £479 laptop that I linked above though.

At this point when browsing through the thread, I saw that the OP had already purchased a laptop and since I don't want to feel like I wasted the time writing this reply, I'm gonna post it anyway. Something to be wary of though, don't let Currys fool you into buying rubbish you don't need. The Office subscription you purchased would have been for one year, this time next year you will need to pay again. It would be better for you to not pay for the subscription and instead buy Office as a one off purchase. Rather than constant payments you just pay once and within 2 years you've saved money. Depending on the antivirus, you may have been ripped off there, odds are there would have been cheaper options available and in all honesty, common sense is a better substitute for antivirus. Finally don't bother buying the warranty. By default your laptop would come with at least 1, maybe 2 years warranty from the manufacturer. Currys warranty is therefore a waste and is completely unnecessary providing you look after your laptop. That said, considering the OP mentioned taking the laptop to the pub (which does not sound like a great idea) you may find yourself needing it.
Just want to add on that there are free alternatives to Microsoft Office such as LibreOffice and OpenOffice which do the exact same thing.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 152mmOfDerp)
Just want to add on that there are free alternatives to Microsoft Office such as LibreOffice and OpenOffice which do the exact same thing.
This as well, not to mention things like Google Docs which not only give you a basic Office Suite but provide you with cloud storage to back up your files. Kills two birds with one stone.
yaya36
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I recently bought a new gaming laptop,Acer E5-576G-576, priced at around $600 and jam-pack with the latest coffee lake CPUs from Intel and MX150 GPUs from Nvdia, this laptop is here to set the stage for Intel’s 8th gen processor series, code named Coffee Lake processors,as a backup, although it is not expensive but it runs the game very fast. If you are interested, you can look at the following article:
https://pc4u.org/best-gaming-laptop-under-600-dollars/
Very recommended!
gussssss
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Got an ideapad i3, they're niiiiiice looking aren't they for the price. Not feeling the packaging, walking around with it was like saying 'come rob me' l0l.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (261)
26.71%
No (716)
73.29%

Watched Threads