Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So i'm looking at applying for a primary pgce course this October to start next September (2019) but i'm finding looking for unis super confusing as I don't want to study in London and would be needing accommodation- I am currently gaining lots of experience in schools and expect to achieve a first or 2:1 in my undergrad degree. Does anyone have any uni suggestions for a primary pgce that I could could almost be guaranteed to get accommodation at ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have just had some advice from a tutor who deals with PGCE at my uni. I am too looking into applying for September 2019. She has said in September 2018 more Universities, including them, will be adding more teacher training options ready for September 2019. I was also unsure about teaching in a school but, I will not be teaching in schools, only in college's (PGCE post 16 Mathematics) which for me is much better. I am at the University Centre, Leeds City College.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieadeline98)
    So i'm looking at applying for a primary pgce course this October to start next September (2019) but i'm finding looking for unis super confusing as I don't want to study in London and would be needing accommodation- I am currently gaining lots of experience in schools and expect to achieve a first or 2:1 in my undergrad degree. Does anyone have any uni suggestions for a primary pgce that I could could almost be guaranteed to get accommodation at ?
    Guaranteed accommodation is pretty rare for PGCEs - most universities only offer it as a potential for postgraduate students, as it's limited (some don't even have enough to guarantee it for undergrad freshers). Your best bet is to look for private accommodation.

But for what it's worth, here's what I found out in my research (I'm also applying for a primary PGCE this October, for 2019 entry):
    Cambridge - available but not guaranteed; depends which college you apply for. If you got in and picked your college carefully, guaranteed.
    Warwick - some available, but most go private
    Birmingham, UEA, York St. John, Cumbria, Manchester Met, Sheffield Hallam, Leicester - available but not guaranteed

It's worth presuming that you'll go private (shared housing presumably with other PGCE students... I'm not sure how this works out for timings though as surely by the time we'll have graduated all the nice houses at least will have gone), and choose based on the area you want to teach in more than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saniya123)
    Please please please please do not do the pgce Unless you are certain this is the career for u. I had a doubt abiut teaching before i went into the stupid PGCE. And now i cry everyday and dread waking up every morning. Seriously. And no its not the workload (which is a tonne by the way) or the classroom behaviur management. Its ME. I just do not like teaching and not having the passion for something yet still going ahead with it is the hardest thing to do. Dont be fooled by the silly adverts that advertise teaching bursary’s. I would easily quit but im only 9 weeks away from the end.
    So if it is you, why are you suggesting that teaching is not for this person? They asked a simple question. Just because it isn't the right thing for you doesn't mean it is the wrong thing for everyone. I am a career changing secondary school teacher and am loving it. It was one of the best things I have done.

To the OP - have a look around. There is no such thing as a guarantee in life, but in most cities it isn't hard to find accommodation. Unless you drive, my advice would be to locate yourself reasonably centrally near bus / train routes because your placements could be within a 90 minute commute. You certainly won't be spending much time at uni so being on campus isn't that important.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    So if it is you, why are you suggesting that teaching is not for this person? They asked a simple question. Just because it isn't the right thing for you doesn't mean it is the wrong thing for everyone. I am a career changing secondary school teacher and am loving it. It was one of the best things I have done.

To the OP - have a look around. There is no such thing as a guarantee in life, but in most cities it isn't hard to find accommodation. Unless you drive, my advice would be to locate yourself reasonably centrally near bus / train routes because your placements could be within a 90 minute commute. You certainly won't be spending much time at uni so being on campus isn't that important.

Good luck!
    I never told them not to do it. I simply shared my experiences and told them to research carefully and be prepared mentally and physically for the pgce journey. You read my comment in a negative way. Nothing was fact! I Simply advice and experiences.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your replies everyone- I currently have a list of four that I will attend open days for ☺️

ReputationRep:
    And I’m 100% teaching is for me- strangely I can’t wait to be planning my own lessons and marking all the books

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.