Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I’m currently in sixth form and feel a great passion in architecture as I generally like designing and would class myself as creative. I had several questions about the course itself.

What uni is the best for architecture ?
    What is the course generally like ?
    Is it hard ?

Thanks !!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by LingMing11)
    Hi there, I’m currently in sixth form and feel a great passion in architecture as I generally like designing and would class myself as creative. I had several questions about the course itself.

Is it hard ?

Thanks !!
    Hi LingMing

I thought you would like to hear about Ravensbourne. We are based in the heart of London and right next to the O2 arena and opposite Canary Wharf.

Our students are taught in an open building to encourage collaboration and we are taught by experienced and industry professional staff. We were recently named one of the top 100 European design schools by Italian architecture and design magazine Domus.

We offer 3 types of Architecture course: BA (Hons) Architecture, BA (Hons) Interior Design Environment Architecture and BA (Hons) Urban Landscape Architecture. Our Architecture courses have been approved by the Architects Registration Board.

There are plenty opportunities within our courses to go to trips abroad. Our First year Architecture students have just come back from their trip to Barcelona. We encourage our students to work on live briefs and enter competitions.

Ravensbourne offers free Adobe package to all our students.If you're interested, you could come along to one of our open days, then you’ll be able to talk to the tutors of the course and have a tour around Ravensbourne.

I hope this was helpful, If you have any more questions feel free to message us again and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Katy

ReputationRep:
    Generally, UCL and Cambridge are best regarded for Architecture.
    Some unis focus more on the creative part of Architecture (UCL) whereas some focus on the more engineering side (Bath I think..?)
    I've heard its hard but rewarding though..
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by LingMing11)

Is it hard ?

Thanks !!
    I’ve moved this over to the Architecture and the Built Environment area of TSR. Click on the link above and have a read of some of the threads from current and previous applicants.

Have you found the RIBA website yet? That has lots of information about accredited courses. Because you train across 2 courses over 7 years it’s possible and common to shift university for the MArch course.

ReputationRep:
    It's generally considered that the Bartlett (UCL) is the best, with Bath and Cambridge as main competitors for the top spot. Other very well regarded schools include Edinburgh, GSA, Cardiff, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester, and Newcastle. It's actually not too important where you go for your Part 1 (it's more important that you do well at wherever you study in order to do your Part 2 at one of the top schools), so think about whether you prefer the idea of a more creative/conceptual course, a more technical/engineering-y course, or a more academic course. I'd suggest you go to open days in the summer and look around different architecture departments to get a feel for them and see the sort of work they produce. Another good thing to do would be to visit any summer shows that architecture schools put on, to see the work and get an idea for each school's style. A lot of summer shows happen in London if you're close by (UCL, Cambridge, Bath, Cardiff, UAL/CSM), otherwise they're also displayed at the schools themselves (Edinburgh, for example).

The course is definitely hard, architecture students are amongst the hardest working undergrads (at least in terms of hours put in). It's a common stereotype that you'll virtually live in studio and have endless all-nighters, but this isn't really the case most of the time (although seems to be the case when deadlines approach). Day to day life will usually include a lecture or two and several hours in studio, as well as some time doing coursework (in the form of an essay or report). Don't let any of that put you off though, because it's an immensely rewarding course for those who love it enough to dedicate themselves to it! If you know that you really love architecture, there's nothing stopping you from succeeding on the course
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi!

My name's Lydia and I'm a student at the University of Bath. I'm studying Physics personally, so won't be able to give a personal account of what the course is like, but I have read the Bath's Architecture course page and I've summarized what I can for you below:

*The Architecture course at Bath combines project work in design studios with a grounding in the historic and cultural theory of architecture.

*You will undergo studio work from day one, and work in both teams and independently.

*You'll work alongside civil engineering students for some projects to help you understand the more technical side.

*With the course at Bath, you will go on two 6-month placements as part of your degree which can be abroad if you choose, increasing your employability.

*You can pick optional units to coincide with your developing interests.

To see the course units and much more great information please check out our Architecture page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/underg...-architecture/

Good luck with your search!
    Lydia

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.