Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional offer to UOM for post-grad studies. I already applied for accommodation, and chose the housing right in the middle campus of campus as my preference (George Kenyon Hall).

I was born in London and have familiarity of that city, despite moving to the US in 1998. I did my undergraduate degree in Washington DC and fell in love with that city. I also did a semester of post grad at QMUL in 2014, before withdrawing due to health issues....so I’m not a stranger to big cities. In fact, I consider myself very much a city person.

But having never been to Manchester, knowing that Manchester had a rough reputation in the 70s and 80s and still has a high crime rate today does make me nervous.

That being said, with UOM being the most populated Uni In the UK at around 30,000 students means surely the area around the campus is safe enough.

Obviously, I know that common sense in any big city is what keeps one safe - I’m looking if anyone can expand on the safety around UOM, and what people would say in comparing Manchester to London. Cheers.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madferits)
    I have an unconditional offer to UOM for post-grad studies. I already applied for accommodation, and chose the housing right in the middle campus of campus as my preference (George Kenyon Hall).

I was born in London and have familiarity of that city, despite moving to the US in 1998. I did my undergraduate degree in Washington DC and fell in love with that city. I also did a semester of post grad at QMUL in 2014, before withdrawing due to health issues....so I’m not a stranger to big cities. In fact, I consider myself very much a city person.

But having never been to Manchester, knowing that Manchester had a rough reputation in the 70s and 80s and still has a high crime rate today does make me nervous.

That being said, with UOM being the most populated Uni In the UK at around 30,000 students means surely the area around the campus is safe enough.

Obviously, I know that common sense in any big city is what keeps one safe - I’m looking if anyone can expand on the safety around UOM, and wha people would say in comparing Manchester to London. Cheers.
    It's safe

ReputationRep:
    From talking to students there, I've been told specific roads that most people know about are pretty dodgy at night and should not be walked down but as long as you avoid them it's fine. On the chance it's not, your aloud to go into any shop with some sort of sign indicating your aloud where if you show your student card they'll let you stay for like a half hour to wait out something or wait for a taxi if needed.

All in all, the University of Manchester is the largest university in the country and there haven't really been any big cases of anything very bad happening and with that many students in the area I don't think you should allow the location to be a reason why you don't go there if you choose to do so.

ReputationRep:

Obviously, I know that common sense in any big city is what keeps one safe - I’m looking if anyone can expand on the safety around UOM, and wha people would say in comparing Manchester to London. Cheers.
    As long as you act with common sense and don't go looking for trouble you'll be fine. As with all large cities there are risks, yeah but if you're already used to cities and a city person you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:

Obviously, I know that common sense in any big city is what keeps one safe - I’m looking if anyone can expand on the safety around UOM, and what people would say in comparing Manchester to London. Cheers.
    Safe as long as you have common sense.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 14, 2018

University open days

1. University of Manchester
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.