Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think it's unfair to judge people based on the music they listen to? watch

ReputationRep:
    I notice a lot of people say it's very narrow minded to judge people on their tastes in music. Obviously there are some exceptions but personally I've always able to accurately predict what music people like based on their character (people I know in real life). Clothes style is one of the biggest giveaways but there's a lot more to it than that. I see a lot of correlations between preferences in genres and certain qualities in people.
    Like I said, there will always be some exceptions but I don't believe people are as unique as they think they are and so I think judgements can easily be made.
    I think you can tell quite a lot about someone by their music taste, just like with the books they read and the films they watch.
    Would it be unfair to not consider dating someone because of their taste in music e.g. if they had a strong affinity for bring me the horizon. Or should it not be a factor?
    What judgements do you make based on people's taste in music?

ReputationRep:
    My music taste is from one extreme to the other. most of my friends have the same music taste but people’s music tastes shouldn’t affect anything and no one should be judged... unless they have committed a crime ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXfalloutgirlXx)
    My music taste is from one extreme to the other. most of my friends have the same music taste but people’s music tastes shouldn’t affect anything and no one should be judged... unless they have committed a crime ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    A lot of people like a number of different genres. But I mean the choices in artists and genres

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn’t be any judging because everyone likes different things !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXfalloutgirlXx)
    Shouldn’t be any judging because everyone likes different things !
    I don't know if that's a valid argument

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't make judgments on a person based on their music tastes, like I've had best friends in my life obsess over artist that I despise. I like to take the p*ss out of them for that factor but more in a joke kinda way. A lot of people also grow and begin to listen to different music so it's hard to put them into categories and base who they are as a person on that factor. Even if they have a devotion to a band, people are unique and unpredictable and it's always best to really get to know a person before judging them.

ReputationRep:
    It can cause problems in a relationship if you both like wildly differing types of music, so I think it is fair if you make the consideration... to a point.

I look like I've done twenty years in the HA, but my music taste is weird in every sense, from Death to Abba and everything else in between, so in some ways it's only part of the story. But yeah, considering it like any other matching attribute is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clearasilly)
    I notice a lot of people say it's very narrow minded to judge people on their tastes in music. Obviously there are some exceptions but personally I've always able to accurately predict what music people like based on their character (people I know in real life). Clothes style is one of the biggest giveaways but there's a lot more to it than that. I see a lot of correlations between preferences in genres and certain qualities in people.
    Like I said, there will always be some exceptions but I don't believe people are as unique as they think they are and so I think judgements can easily be made.
    I think you can tell quite a lot about someone by their music taste, just like with the books they read and the films they watch.
    Would it be unfair to not consider dating someone because of their taste in music e.g. if they had a strong affinity for bring me the horizon. Or should it not be a factor?
    What judgements do you make based on people's taste in music?
    I only listen to Michael Jackson. I don't listen to anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    This guy I was seeing started to judge me so much when I told him I like the occasional pop song :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    It can cause problems in a relationship if you both like wildly differing types of music, so I think it is fair if you make the consideration... to a point.

I look like I've done twenty years in the HA, but my music taste is weird in every sense, from Death to Abba and everything else in between, so in some ways it's only part of the story. But yeah, considering it like any other matching attribute is fine.
    But a weird and varied music taste would probably fit in with your personality and be expected, as opposed to you only liking top 40.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clearasilly)
    But a weird and varied music taste would probably fit in with your personality and be expected, as opposed to you only liking top 40.
    Well, maybe, yes. But you'd only know that if you knew me well - most people assume and then get arsey when I tell them otherwise. If you got ten people together who know me from the pub and asked them what I listen to they'd almost certainly say 'weird metal' and Rebel songs, and that's it.

My most recent ex HATED that I listened to stuff that she didn't and everything that went along with that, so it caused problems in that sense.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.