Turn on thread page Beta

Economics debate help- how do I argue for charity replacing government??? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am getting a bit terrified because I have my first debate at uni on Friday (16th feb!) and my team have been asked to DISAGREE with this statement: “There should be no need for charities, the government should provide all required services”. I am really struggling to find arguments to talk about to be honest. All we have so far is that some charities cater for very very specific things which the gov couldn’t be expected to do (eg disabilities that occur in 1 in a million people) but that’s it. I’ve been trying to come up with possible arguments for days now but I can’t get around the fact that I inherriently AGREE with the statement.

Can anybody suggest any arguments that we could research and use in our debate?

Any advice is much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of things the govt won't support but charities do e.g.

Charities that oppose the government e.g. charities to help people appealing against government decisions such as sickness benefit or immigration

Charities that support unpopular causes like ex-prisoners

Charities that might embarrass the government or its allies like Amnesty International

Charities that supplement the money and services provided by the government e.g. Barnardos

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.