Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Im thinking of doing a nursing degree (wish I had trained years ago but everything else stopped me) I wondered if anyone scould explain how the course works? how many days/weeks at uni -then a placement - then uni -how long for?
    and how many different placements do you do? also whats the uni/studying at home ratio like? or are you in uni 5 days a week? I cant get any sense online
    and also is there any financial support available now if you have a family?
    thanks anyone who can help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by paloma33)
    Hi Im thinking of doing a nursing degree (wish I had trained years ago but everything else stopped me) I wondered if anyone scould explain how the course works? how many days/weeks at uni -then a placement - then uni -how long for?
    and how many different placements do you do? also whats the uni/studying at home ratio like? or are you in uni 5 days a week? I cant get any sense online
    and also is there any financial support available now if you have a family?
    thanks anyone who can help
    Hi, I’m a first year adult nursing student. I am a mature student & have care assistant experience too.
    At my university, we have separate placements & separate time at university, some universities have a mixture of university lessons/lectures with days/nights on placements. So until April we are at uni & then from April to early-August we will be on placement like a full time job, doing days, nights & weekends. We will have two different placements one after the other.
    For the first semester I had uni 3-4 days a week (not always all day), this semester we are in 2 days a week (mostly 9am-4pm). The first semester we had lessons with adult, children’s & mental health nurses, student paramedic, student midwives & student ODP’s. This semester it is mainly just all student nurses together as the modules are more specific now. There is a fair bit of self-study to do at home on top of the lessons too.
    I don’t have children but friends at uni that do mainly study in the evening or when their children are at school. I think you can get extra financial support if you have children but I’m afraid I don’t know much about it as I don’t have children myself. Everyone is eligible for a maintenance loan & depending on household income you can get a larger maintenance loan too. Some universities also have their own schemes to offer grants to student depending on their circumstances. Many student nurses have bank (0 hour) contracts to help them earn some more money too.
    I think with having children, the most difficult part must be placements as you are expected to work early, lates, nights, weekends and long day shifts. However with support it must be manageable as I see 2nd & 3rd years that are doing it.
    Sorry for the long post & feel free to ask more questions & I’ll try & help.

ReputationRep:
    Each university is different bit at mine we do a term at uni
    We have to be available 9-7 Monday to friday but some days we have off or are only in for a few hours. Depends on our timetable. We are credited with 40 hours a week so when we aren't in we can study from home. Pre and post lesson reading can keep you busy.

Then a term on placement. Full time working hours. We are required to work all types of shifts so nights, long days ect.
    We do 6 placements throughout the course and a community scoping exercise.
    You can go on visits while on placement to other areas which are related to where you are based.

student finance may help but again you would have to look at the specific uni you are thinking of going to for extra financial support.
    good luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.