Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I used to play guitars when I was younger from 11-16 years old. I stopped then (23 now), I'm at uni now and I've been thinking for months that I'd like to get back into it. Visited a music store today and saw some nice cheap ones (£200 and under).

I kinda don't wanna get a guitar too advanced for me, because I haven't even picked up a guitar in almost 8 years and am bad at it. I never practised outside of lessons while I was learning, but now I'd actually like to learn it.

I saw some really attractive guitars which I'd like to maybe get one of them, saw a Squier Mustang, Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT, Epi SG Special, and a Squier Affinity Telecaster which was just the most beautiful of the lot. I just looked at it and thought "wow, I want that".

What guitars do you recommend for someone who's bad at it and wants to get back into the game? don't wanna buy anything too advanced or over £200 (can't afford more than that). I plan to try out the guitars in the shop if I actually do buy one, just to make sure I enjoy playing it and the sound.

ReputationRep:
    Your looking along the right lines - Epiphone, Squier, have a look at Ibanez too. Another one everyone raves on about is Jackson - they are meant to have a good budget guitar (JS33, maybe wrong). The main thing is one that is comfortable for YOU to play. Hope this helps 👍
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I played guitar from 9-13 years old, then picked up back again last year (16 years old.) I went back in with an Epiphone Les Paul, and it sounds almost flawless, feels great and looks stunning. A lot depends on personal preference though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Owz5)
    I used to play guitars when I was younger from 11-16 years old. I stopped then (23 now), I'm at uni now and I've been thinking for months that I'd like to get back into it. Visited a music store today and saw some nice cheap ones (£200 and under).

I kinda don't wanna get a guitar too advanced for me, because I haven't even picked up a guitar in almost 8 years and am bad at it. I never practised outside of lessons while I was learning, but now I'd actually like to learn it.

I saw some really attractive guitars which I'd like to maybe get one of them, saw a Squier Mustang, Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT, Epi SG Special, and a Squier Affinity Telecaster which was just the most beautiful of the lot. I just looked at it and thought "wow, I want that".

What guitars do you recommend for someone who's bad at it and wants to get back into the game? don't wanna buy anything too advanced or over £200 (can't afford more than that). I plan to try out the guitars in the shop if I actually do buy one, just to make sure I enjoy playing it and the sound.
    What sort of music do you want to play?

Les Pauls are very versatile, but great for rock. SGs are generally used to rock/metal. Telecasters are popular with indie, pop, and country musicians. Mustangs are rarely seen and I've never played one so I don't know what it's typically used for.

As you really liked the look of the tele I'd say go for that. An attractive guitar is one that gets picked up and played often, and that's a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    My mate plays a mustang and he's a bluesman. It's not a nice looking guitar (to me) but it plays beautifully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    What sort of music do you want to play?

Les Pauls are very versatile, but great for rock. SGs are generally used to rock/metal. Telecasters are popular with indie, pop, and country musicians. Mustangs are rarely seen and I've never played one so I don't know what it's typically used for.

As you really liked the look of the tele I'd say go for that. An attractive guitar is one that gets picked up and played often, and that's a good thing.
    I'm not sure, at the moment I think every genre I'm into. So that's pretty much everyone apart from heavy metal or reggae.

I could buy an Epiphone G400, but at £300, unsure if I'd like the SG. Mostly into Blues, Rock, blues-rock, jazz, classic rock and country. Then looking online on the Squier affinity range and they offer so many different ones. Like with strats there are so many different ones, the normal, hss, fat strat, jazzmeister and so on. It's the affinity Telecaster that caught my eye in the store though, and I liked the look and sound of the Epi SG special too.

I'm also unsure how much I should pay... I'm a bit concerned about paying too much for a guitar and then not being interested in playing. I'd rather not pay too much (around £200) because of that. Not sure how interested I'll be in playing. If I would be interested, I would be happier to spend more (to like £300-£450).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Owz5)
    I'm not sure, at the moment I think every genre I'm into. So that's pretty much everyone apart from heavy metal or reggae.

I could buy an Epiphone G400, but at £300, unsure if I'd like the SG. Mostly into Blues, Rock, blues-rock, jazz, classic rock and country. Then looking online on the Squier affinity range and they offer so many different ones. Like with strats there are so many different ones, the normal, hss, fat strat, jazzmeister and so on. It's the affinity Telecaster that caught my eye in the store though, and I liked the look and sound of the Epi SG special too.

I'm also unsure how much I should pay... I'm a bit concerned about paying too much for a guitar and then not being interested in playing. I'd rather not pay too much (around £200) because of that. Not sure how interested I'll be in playing. If I would be interested, I would be happier to spend more (to like £300-£450).
    For a first guitar and amp, I would suggest not paying more than £200 for the whole lot. You can get some decent equipment for that sort of money. If you get into it, you can save for much better gear.

For the music that you're interested in I'd suggest focusing on a Les Paul or HSS Strat as these are very versatile and (to me) sound good. I have a very nice HSS Strat that has been my only electric guitar for about 7 years.

ReputationRep:
    For a first guitar and amp, I would suggest not paying more than £200 for the whole lot. You can get some decent equipment for that sort of money. If you get into it, you can save for much better gear.

For the music that you're interested in I'd suggest focusing on a Les Paul or HSS Strat as these are very versatile and (to me) sound good. I have a very nice HSS Strat that has been my only electric guitar for about 7 years.
    I could test both of them out and see which I like best and buy that?

Thanks for the advice and of the recommendations of which guitars to go for
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Owz5)
    I could test both of them out and see which I like best and buy that?

Thanks for the advice and of the recommendations of which guitars to go for
    Absolutely. I'd always recommend trying before you buy!

I'd also look into starter packs like this:
    https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...Apple-Red/202E
    They will include everything you need to get started, like a tuner, strap etc. The one I've posted here is a good one. Fender amps have been really good in my experience. It's a little bit more than you were originally saying you'd like to spend, but it's worth keeping in mind that this is a self contained package with everything you'll need.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. I'd always recommend trying before you buy!

I'd also look into starter packs like this:
    https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...Apple-Red/202E
    They will include everything you need to get started, like a tuner, strap etc. The one I've posted here is a good one. Fender amps have been really good in my experience. It's a little bit more than you were originally saying you'd like to spend, but it's worth keeping in mind that this is a self contained package with everything you'll need.
    It's a really nice colour too it looks really nice

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You can get some good guitars what are under 200. I recomend sticking with Squier and Epiphone because the are one of the most affordable makes that sell good quality for the price. Epiphone and Gibson guitars the necks on the are more likely to brake then Squier and fender guitars.Epiphone guitars dont normally have a bolt on neck which means if you broke the neck you would have to get a neck repair done by a luither or buy a new guitar. Most of fenders and Squier guitars come with a bolt on neck which means if you broke the neck on one of thiers al you would have to do is buy a new neck and bolt it on.

Marshall MS-2 Micro amp is worth checking out its a nice little amp. You dont really need anything fancy to start out with.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely get a new guitar trust your gut instinct

I.hope my advice was helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDevil)
    You can get some good guitars what are under 200. I recomend sticking with Squier and Epiphone because the are one of the most affordable makes that sell good quality for the price. Epiphone and Gibson guitars the necks on the are more likely to brake then Squier and fender guitars.Epiphone guitars dont normally have a bolt on neck which means if you broke the neck you would have to get a neck repair done by a luither or buy a new guitar. Most of fenders and Squier guitars come with a bolt on neck which means if you broke the neck on one of thiers al you would have to do is buy a new neck and bolt it on.

Marshall MS-2 Micro amp is worth checking out its a nice little amp. You dont really need anything fancy to start out with.
    Thanks for the advice and I will check that amp out

My old Yamaha Pacifica 012 at home.. it has good sound, but I don't like how thin the neck is. It's too small. I know people say that playing acoustic is harder, but I find the opposite because I find the bigger neck more comfortable and more space and room for my fingers. With the Yamaha strat-style, my fingers feel cramped with how small the neck is. I used to play acoustic, had a Squier acoustic guitar, that's the one I prefer of the ones I have because of this.

I've seen people saying that the Epiphones have fatter or wider necks, that's one reason why I find them attractive. Don't know which model I should go for though.

If I break the necks that doesn't worry me, I look after guitars well and have never chipped any of my old guitars. Plus I could just save up for a new one if it did happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lushlux)
    You should definitely get a new guitar trust your gut instinct

I.hope my advice was helpful
    I do feel like it, getting a new one. Just don't know which one to go for
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheDevil)

Breaking guitar necks isn't something that happens often! I don't think I know anyone who has accidentally broken the neck of their guitar. But having a bolt on neck does allow for upgrades in the future.

The MS-2 amp may be cheap, but it sounds awful. I used to have one. For about £100 you can get something really nice second hand.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.