The Student Room Group

Criminology?

XX
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Lren10
So I admit that I have no idea what I want to do after school, I'm in my 5th year so this is the year when we really have to sit down and think about it. Something that has really interested me is a course in Criminology at Uni but I'm still unsure as to if that is what I want to do or I would be capable of it.

A recent problem I came across is that in AH Modern Studies they focus on Criminology which I feel would be an introduction to the course... except I haven't been in a mods class since 2nd Year.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? Should I try to find another course to focus on? Crash AH mods to see what it's like? or simply just get my H grades and still try to apply to the Uni even if I don't have any particular experience in the course?

I think the majority of universities don't care what highers subjects you do, they just want you to get a decent grade. I'd say it would be more beneficial for you to do a subject that has some relevance and can give you a head start, but if you don't think you're capable of achieving the grade needed then maybe just go for an easier option. What other highers could you do?

Also what about Criminology interested you?
Psychology will definitely be benificial as well as interesting for you if you're wanting to look at why criminals do what they do. I'd highly recommended Level 3 Public Services, I'm not too sure what colleges in Scotland do this course but there may be one near by. I'm currently in my second year of it at Carlisle College just south of the border and honestly its a perfect course for if you're wanting to do criminology. We cover topics like crime and it's effect, discipline and aspects of the legal system. It is a two year course though so you might have to wait longer to go to Uni.

Quick Reply