silk192
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
for an open day and to be honest i didnt like it...the campus was in my opinion not very good looking. the only thing i liked when i visited the open day was the presentation by the professors (as unlike manchester they didnt focus on how good the uni is and their rankings), but they actually gave a good insight into what will be taught. another thing i liked was the accomodation, which was very modern. but i saw an en-suite room in flyde college i think, so i cant judge the other rooms or colleges. but imo apart from that, the uni isn't very 'grand'.
affinity89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I looked at Lancaster in September and decided I liked it.

I agree, the campus does not really have the old beautiful buildings. Instead, they are purely practical buildings.

But, I think the history of Lancaster the city, with its grand architecture, and the fact the campus is commutable to both the coast and the lakes makes up for it.

Personally, I visited Nottingham. Grand buildings = check. Nice course = nope. There I found the professors rude, self engrossed and well, unhelpful (history department). Thus, I decided to go with course over beauty, mind over matter and all that.

Just how important are the buildings for you?
RyanT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
About half of the colleges in the university have exactly the same accomodation as Fylde now I think. Only exception I'm aware of is County having the same but double beds instead of space underneath their bed. But the university was built in 1960, not 1000CE so I'm not sure what you were expecting - I wouldn't pick a university on its architecture lol.
Also you're unlikely to get more modern halls considering Fylde (at least) was brand new last year.
Lizj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by silk192)
for an open day and to be honest i didnt like it...the campus was in my opinion not very good looking. the only thing i liked when i visited the open day was the presentation by the professors (as unlike manchester they didnt focus on how good the uni is and their rankings), but they actually gave a good insight into what will be taught. another thing i liked was the accomodation, which was very modern. but i saw an en-suite room in flyde college i think, so i cant judge the other rooms or colleges. but imo apart from that, the uni isn't very 'grand'.
Well, don't come here then! There are plenty more universities in the country that you would probably like a lot more.
Most of us here love it despite its grotty bits, and you probably would too.
luke88
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The campus isn't the best looking but they are improving it. I reckon it'll look gorgeous in the summer when it's sunny.
Rhysigo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At the end if the day your going to university for the course and not for how pretty the place makes you feel :P

I'm in Bowland Tower, some of the shoddiest accomodation on campus and I agree the university and sometimes even the town aren't all that great compared to other places.

But I'm having a hell of a good time, with a course I enjoy, and I wouldn't change that for any of the fancier looking uni's I could've gone to, heh
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its strange, but you kinda get to love the wierd looking buildings... Sure, you don't wake up in the morning and see Durham Cathederal or York minster or anything, but they serve their purpose... pluss, all the new accomodation is pretty nice looking. And the people more than make up for all the rain!
DannyOwens
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I came on the open day and was like "wow", i agree that the buildings on central campus are a bit out-dated and 60'ish but if you look around the campus there are loads of "attractive" places...
The campus is awesome, as is the university, just ask any of the current students. At the end of the day, if you don't like it, go elsewhere... you don't need to come on here and tell us you don't like it, coz to be quite honest, i don't think any of us care!! Im sure whereever you are you will enjoy it.
D .x
Pacibald
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Rhysigo were you throwing water bombs out of your window last night during the power cut, mate that was such a laugh, i of course took the power cut as an excuse to drink, as the fridge was down and no body wanted the beers to warm up so they had to get drunk! What a laugh! I don't really think the buildings matter to much, I initially chose the uni on course and when i got here it was friendly and busy and bussling and thats exactly what i wanted and its wicked sick!! xxxx
Pacibald
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ohhhhh also where are the double beds in county?!!?!?
Rhysigo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Pacibald)
Rhysigo were you throwing water bombs out of your window last night during the power cut, mate that was such a laugh, i of course took the power cut as an excuse to drink, as the fridge was down and no body wanted the beers to warm up so they had to get drunk! What a laugh! I don't really think the buildings matter to much, I initially chose the uni on course and when i got here it was friendly and busy and bussling and thats exactly what i wanted and its wicked sick!! :D xxxx
I'm amazed someone actually saw that, I was with the person doing that :P

I was worried one would end up hitting someone in the face and breaking their nose mind, heh

Was definately a fun evening though!
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Pacibald)
Ohhhhh also where are the double beds in county?!!?!?
There are double beds in county????? Why can't we have some!
Lizj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Teao the Cat)
There are double beds in county????? Why can't we have some!
I always thought that rooms in County Main had big window seats that could be made into a double bed if you put your bed beside them?
Never seen for myself though - it's far too far to walk from Cartmel!
luke88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lizj)
I always thought that rooms in County Main had big window seats that could be made into a double bed if you put your bed beside them?
Never seen for myself though - it's far too far to walk from Cartmel!
Yeah this is right. There are no real double beds but in County Main it's quite possible to make your own double bed. Like you said, put the bed beside the window as there is a cushion or something near the window.
luke88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by silk192)
but imo apart from that, the uni isn't very 'grand'.
It is a shame you can't see it today, the weather is gorgeous and the campus looks really nice. I can see the country side from my window and it's so nice to look out. I think I suffer from SAD or something... lol because now it's very bright and sunny I feel really happy even though I'm hungover as ****! To be honest, anywhere looks miserable without the weather, it's the people there that count the most.
ChJaRo
Report 12 years ago
County Main is now being destroyed.

The townhouses are very nice though The beds are just abnormally long so you can't fit your sheets on!
Ministry
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Teao the Cat)
Its strange, but you kinda get to love the wierd looking buildings... Sure, you don't wake up in the morning and see Durham Cathederal or York minster or anything, but they serve their purpose...
Have you SEEN York's campus?! It's actually very comparible to Lancaster's: outside the city (no line of sight to the Minster) with a high proportion of 60s/70s buildings, some downright bizarre.

I'm not sure why having a 'pretty' campus would matter, but Lancaster's green spaces (mainly between the perimeter road and the A6) probably wouldn't be apparent in Jan/Feb. They're much more attractive in summer.
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ministry)
Have you SEEN York's campus?! It's actually very comparible to Lancaster's: outside the city (no line of sight to the Minster) with a high proportion of 60s/70s buildings, some downright bizarre.

I'm not sure why having a 'pretty' campus would matter, but Lancaster's green spaces (mainly between the perimeter road and the A6) probably wouldn't be apparent in Jan/Feb. They're much more attractive in summer.
Actually, I havent... so, if even York has a campus like lancaster, what bad can we say about ours! hehe!
Lizj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Actually, York is even uglier than Lancaster, there is no lovely countryside around it. Although they do have a much bigger lake and more birdies. And no motorway.
ISS Monkey 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ChJaRo)
County Main is now being destroyed.
Don't worry to much, it's not being destroyed in the sense of knocked down, it's being refurbed. But it's going to loose some of it's character I'm sure :/.

Though I have to say after having to spend large quanities of time in the two kitchens doing ISS work now and again, I'm glad for the refurb... some people need to really learn what a brush or mop is for .

It'll be a mix of offices, academic space and "commercial space"... god knows who's going to want to rent a shop up there, but I guess someone must want to.

It's a long walk to go to buy something from Management school up really. One of the things I'm really not looking forward to when they move our office to opposite Pendle bar in two years.

M2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads