Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I have a windows gaming pc with a beautiful 4k monitor for multitasking. However, I went to Leeds University today and they use Linux machines. I also love the whole idea of studying in a library and communicating with other people who I will be working with. Can anyone recommend me a beast windows laptop that works great with Linux for preferably under £1000. A lot of students recommend Macbooks, but is this a smart choice if all the computers run Linux? I mean a poll was done from MIT and about 80% of CS students preferred Macbooks over any other laptop. I would probably be able to get a Macbook if I wanted one but would it really be a smart choice?

ReputationRep:
    surface book 2 15inch
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Are you getting a laptop just to run Linux? If so, have you considered saving all that money and just installing a Virtual Machine on your desktop PC instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winterscoming)
    Are you getting a laptop just to run Linux? If so, have you considered saving all that money and just installing a Virtual Machine on your desktop PC instead?
    True, but I really like the idea of having a laptop now :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryanthom100)
    At the moment I have a windows gaming pc with a beautiful 4k monitor for multitasking. However, I went to Leeds University today and they use Linux machines. I also love the whole idea of studying in a library and communicating with other people who I will be working with. Can anyone recommend me a beast windows laptop that works great with Linux for preferably under £1000. A lot of students recommend Macbooks, but is this a smart choice if all the computers run Linux? I mean a poll was done from MIT and about 80% of CS students preferred Macbooks over any other laptop. I would probably be able to get a Macbook if I wanted one but would it really be a smart choice?
    Up to you really most laptops work perfectly fine with Linux. I wouldn't recommend a Mac unless you're buying used just because I'm pretty sure using any OS other than Mac makes the warranty void. Although I might be wrong there.

I personally use one of the HP Omen laptops. It was something like £300 off during black Friday sales so I got it for just under 1k. Been using it for about 6 months now, bringing it to uni all the time and had no problems at all. It's just a bit heavy since it's technically a gaming laptop. What I loved about it most is that it has an SSD and HDD so has a nice startup speed plus makes it easier for dual boot setup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    Up to you really most laptops work perfectly fine with Linux. I wouldn't recommend a Mac unless you're buying used just because I'm pretty sure using any OS other than Mac makes the warranty void. Although I might be wrong there.

I personally use one of the HP Omen laptops. It was something like £300 off during black Friday sales so I got it for just under 1k. Been using it for about 6 months now, bringing it to uni all the time and had no problems at all. It's just a bit heavy since it's technically a gaming laptop. What I loved about it most is that it has an SSD and HDD so has a nice startup speed plus makes it easier for dual boot setup
    Hmm, i see ur point but i'm looking for something more portable and slim tbh, as I don't really want a bulky laptop that I have to carry to lectures all day.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, i see ur point but i'm looking for something more portable and slim tbh, as I don't really want a bulky laptop that I have to carry to lectures all day.
    In that case, I'd say a Chromebook or something like Dell XPS would do for a higher spec but light laptop. As I said before, Mac isn't bad but installing Linux on it can be a bit messy since Linux doesn't recognise some Mac components so you have do a lot of googling to fix that. And it may make the warranty void. You could put a virtual machine on a Mac that runs Linux which is one way of doing it. But then you're just getting a laptop that you use for Linux on the side rather than having a Linux laptop.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tagging AngryJellyfish to get this moved over to the Laptops, netbooks and tablets forum.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend going with Dell Laptops purely because they work well with Linux. Other companies such as HP are a bit iffy with Linux.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd second the Dell XPS, my XPS 13 had no problems with Linux beyond a recommendation to switch out the wireless card. They're solid laptops, perfectly adequate specs and super portable.

If you're purely buying a laptop to use Linux then Dell even offers a version of the XPS that specifically comes with Ubuntu installed (although I don't think they have Ubuntu models with gen 8 processors available yet). That said, try out a bunch of distros in a VM on your Windows machine to find something you like. I personally prefer Mint to Ubuntu and it's worth messing around with a few major distros to find something that suits you (and change anything you don't like).

If you want a laptop that dual boots, go careful with Windows updates. My Linux partition became inaccessible after a major Windows update but luckily I didn't have anything major stored on it. Personally I prefer using Linux virtualised on my desktop and keep my laptop purely as a Windows machine. If I wanted to dual boot either device I'd rather keep the different OS on different drives, something that is not an option with ultrabooks like the XPS.

ReputationRep:
    In that case, I'd say a Chromebook or something like Dell XPS would do for a higher spec but light laptop. As I said before, Mac isn't bad but installing Linux on it can be a bit messy since Linux doesn't recognise some Mac components so you have do a lot of googling to fix that. And it may make the warranty void. You could put a virtual machine on a Mac that runs Linux which is one way of doing it. But then you're just getting a laptop that you use for Linux on the side rather than having a Linux laptop.
    I have already looked at the dell xps 13 and it would definitely be the best choice, especially after what you and @Ascel have said. However that 256gb is a bit small but for a slim £1000 laptop there isn't much bigger that u can get with a 1k budget. That's a good point I never thought of the warranty, best to stay away from them then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I'd second the Dell XPS, my XPS 13 had no problems with Linux beyond a recommendation to switch out the wireless card. They're solid laptops, perfectly adequate specs and super portable.

If you're purely buying a laptop to use Linux then Dell even offers a version of the XPS that specifically comes with Ubuntu installed (although I don't think they have Ubuntu models with gen 8 processors available yet). That said, try out a bunch of distros in a VM on your Windows machine to find something you like. I personally prefer Mint to Ubuntu and it's worth messing around with a few major distros to find something that suits you (and change anything you don't like).

If you want a laptop that dual boots, go careful with Windows updates. My Linux partition became inaccessible after a major Windows update but luckily I didn't have anything major stored on it. Personally I prefer using Linux virtualised on my desktop and keep my laptop purely as a Windows machine. If I wanted to dual boot either device I'd rather keep the different OS on different drives, something that is not an option with ultrabooks like the XPS.
    Hmm okay thanks for the tips I really appreciate them. It seems that a dell xps 13 will be my number 1 choice if I do get a laptop then. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have already looked at the dell xps 13 and it would definitely be the best choice, especially after what you and @Ascel have said. However that 256gb is a bit small but for a slim £1000 laptop there isn't much bigger that u can get with a 1k budget. That's a good point I never thought of the warranty, best to stay away from them then.
    Check if there's a possibility of upgrading it. Opening it up and installing another hard drive isn't difficult if the laptop supports it at least

ReputationRep:
    Check if there's a possibility of upgrading it. Opening it up and installing another hard drive isn't difficult if the laptop supports it at least
    I don't think it supports and I would rather not do it, especially with the build quality being so precise and slim.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't think it supports and I would rather not do it, especially with the build quality being so precise and slim.
    I can confirm that the M.2 SSD on the Dell XPS 13 is really easy to upgrade (it doesn't support multiple drives though). There's 8 hex screws on the base and a standard Philips head under the service panel. The entire base then comes off and the M.2 mount is readily accessible. Simply unscrew it and replace it with the new drive. Only thing to be careful of is getting the bottom panel off as it's on pretty tight at first. Requires a bit of prying. I originally purchased a 128GB XPS and upgraded it to 512GB. Prices have dropped a bit since then, I found this 512 WD Black M.2 drive for £165.

The entry level XPS 13 is £1099. Currently Dell are offering £150 off (that's not uncommon, they usually have offers like this and failing that you can get 10% student discount). That brings it down to £950. Add a 512GB SSD and it goes up to £1100. Only marginally over budget.

That said, I'd personally wait for them to restock the i7 model. IIRC it was £1449 with an i7 8550U, 16GB of RAM, a 512GB SSD and a HD screen without touch. So basically the model available at the moment but you saved £100 by cutting out touch. When you take the discount off of that it goes down to £1300. £200 isn't an unreasonable jump for an extra 8GB of RAM and an i7 instead of an i5 IMO. Or you can grab the "entry" level model (which is way more capable than the older m3/4GB RAM entry level models Dell used to offer) and upgrade it down the line when you're ready.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do some research because if laptops support upgrades then they are already Integrated into the design. So it would in no way affect the design or build quality of it.

As the person who owns one said, they don't support multiple drives but you can always upgrade to a bigger SSD if you're worried about the size.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.