Turn on thread page Beta

He thinks I sent him a Valentine's Day card... but it wasn't me! watch

Okay, so there's a guy in work who has never had a girlfriend... and I mean never! And for a joke some of the girls got together and bought him a Valentine's Day card and wrote in it, they put that it was from his 'secret admirer' and posted it through his desk draw when he was on break... he came from break and obviously, found the card... now he's telling people that he thinks it's off me! (Everyone except him knows that it was meant to be a joke) but he genuinely thinks that someone has sent it to him cause they have feelings.

So now he's going around saying that I sent it... and I have no idea why!? I hardly know him and the only time we talk is if we're forced into a works meeting... I've only worked at the place for a littleover a month and the whole incident has made things super awkward, there's just a weird vibe now that wasn't there before. What do I do to try and fix things... but mainly, what would make him think that I sent the card!???

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, so there's a guy in work who has never had a girlfriend... and I mean never! And for a joke some of the girls got together and bought him a Valentine's Day card and wrote in it, they put that it was from his 'secret admirer' and posted it through his desk draw when he was on break... he came from break and obviously, found the card... now he's telling people that he thinks it's off me! (Everyone except him knows that it was meant to be a joke) but he genuinely thinks that someone has sent it to him cause they have feelings.

So now he's going around saying that I sent it... and I have no idea why!? I hardly know him and the only time we talk is if we're forced into a works meeting... I've only worked at the place for a littleover a month and the whole incident has made things super awkward, there's just a weird vibe now that wasn't there before. What do I do to try and fix things... but mainly, what would make him think that I sent the card!???
    Firstly, if you were in on this "Joke", you're a horrible human being.

He probably likes you to be honest and is taking that as a signal? People with crushes take everything their crush does to be a signal that they like them.

Who sends a card as a joke? That's just mean, breaking it to him would always make him feel worse no matter what way you did.

ReputationRep:
    What the girls did was childish and cruel. He probably already has some kind of feelings for you and has excitedly jumped to the wrong conclusions. You need to take him aside quietly and tell him it wasn't sent from you, he may be upset but it's better than letting him believe a lie. Just don't humiliate him even further.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Firstly, if you were in on this "Joke", you're a horrible human being.

He probably likes you to be honest and is taking that as a signal? People with crushes take everything their crush does to be a signal that they like them.

Who sends a card as a joke? That's just mean, breaking it to him would always make him feel worse no matter what way you did.
    As usual, I was the last to find out about the 'joke' and by the time I knew the full story, we had both left work and I hadn't no time to speak to him. I felt terrible, at first I thought that someone had genuinely sent the card. When I had left work I had no way of contacting him to tell him.

We returned to work yesterday and I told him the full story, he thanked me for my honesty and now we're on the same terms. If anything, I've found that he's opened up more to me since I told him.

(Original post by bones-mccoy)
    What the girls did was childish and cruel. He probably already has some kind of feelings for you and has excitedly jumped to the wrong conclusions. You need to take him aside quietly and tell him it wasn't sent from you, he may be upset but it's better than letting him believe a lie. Just don't humiliate him even further.
    Thanks for the advice! I think what they did was horrible, if it was me I'd feel personally victimised, I told him the story and he thanked me for my honesty.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.