Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer: I've yet to see the film. Also, I'm not an evil, racist white person, I'm half-Nigerian. Put down your pitchforks :fuhrer:

Doesn't Black Panther represent a nationalist utopia? The very concept of Wakanda implies that racial and cultural homogeny is socially and financially beneficial as it's supposedly one of the few nations that wan't affected by Colonialism. The Wakandans fiercely preserve their heriatage and reject outside influence, much like the viking-obsessed, skinheaded nationalists who flaunt their black sun and swastika tattoos or the Nazi officials who wanted to bring back Germanic paganism. The country is also ruled my a warrior monarch which could be interpreted as being vaguely fascistic. Also, the idea that King is expected to procreate with one of the elite Dora Milaje soldiers smacks of racial theory and ideas of genetic fitness. Furthermore, the nation prefers to be insular and self-sufficient rather than altruistic and withholds its resources for its own while other Africans suffer, only extending a proverbial olive branch to the outside world for political reasons.

Maybe they address these issues in the film; as I said, I haven't seen it. I just think it's odd as this film is being considered as some liberal, civil-rights holy grail of film when it seems to propose ethno-nationalism. I know it's just a comic book film but it's still interesting to talk about

ReputationRep:
    Hey! What a wonderful analysis BUT being African and being Alt-Right aren't mutually exclusive events.
    Why would anyone label you racist?

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen it either, but from your description could we not presume that they reject outside influence because they've never had any and are just suspect of it? This would differ from the alt right, who are generally isolationist because they think they already know about outside influence and believe it to be harming them. If the nation's performed amazingly with their current system that has no outside influence, why would they bother changing the formula to become none-isolationist? Kings being expected to breed with specific classes of people is more just a standard royal thing I think. I mean people were mad about Meghan Markle and classed Kate Middleton as common, sooooo...

It's regarded as a civil rights victory of sorts more for the high as hell levels of black representation rather than anything else.

We're probably gonna have to just see it, my dude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilanderingBum)
    Doesn't Black Panther represent a nationalist utopia? The very concept of Wakanda implies that racial and cultural homogeny is socially and financially beneficial as it's supposedly one of the few nations that wan't affected by Colonialism.
    Haven't seen it yet either, but is Wakanda particularly homogenous? Being all black doesn't necessarily make it so. Indeed, the African country which most successfully resisted colonialism - Ethiopia - is hugely culturally diverse.

ReputationRep:
    haven't seen the movie yet but I have noticed that it portrays African culture pretty decently and is divided into tribal territories so I think it may not be as homogeneous , as for financial benefits the live on top of a gold mine of vibranium plus no colonialism
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    Hey! What a wonderful analysis BUT being African and being Alt-Right aren't mutually exclusive events.
    Why would anyone label you racist?
    You'd be surprised. There are some folks on the internet who assume anyone who questions the film is a racist neckbeard. I guess that's what the hypetrain does to people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I've never seen it either, but from your description could we not presume that they reject outside influence because they've never had any and are just suspect of it? This would differ from the alt right, who are generally isolationist because they think they already know about outside influence and believe it to be harming them. If the nation's performed amazingly with their current system that has no outside influence, why would they bother changing the formula to become none-isolationist? Kings being expected to breed with specific classes of people is more just a standard royal thing I think. I mean people were mad about Meghan Markle and classed Kate Middleton as common, sooooo...

It's regarded as a civil rights victory of sorts more for the high as hell levels of black representation rather than anything else.

We're probably gonna have to just see it, my dude.
    You'd think that the Wakandans would at least have an inkling of the issues facing the rest of the continent. But, like you say, it could very well be part of the film for all we know

ReputationRep:
    The case is pretty strong, seen it made better elsewhere (sorry). Not seen the film so interested to see how the film portrays this especially amongst the backdrop of the liberal 'look we made a film with black people in, aren't we special' attitude that has surrounded this film. I thought Wonder Woman suffered from a dissonance between the feminist claims about the piece and what actually was contained therein.

That said, the vast majority of super hero stories are deeply problematic politically, largely in how they show that basically the way to solve all problems is to find someone who has had some special ability bestowed upon them, rather than by ingenuity hard work and collective action.

ReputationRep:
    I have watched the film and I thought it was very very good.

I think it touches, lightly in some cases, on some key issues such as the current refugee crisis and shows that it is not possible or beneficial for one country to help all other ones and getting involved in other country’s conflicts is only necessary once it is absolutely necessary as it breeds more issues and makes the country a target, which is quite evident in many countries within the West which tend to get involved in conflicts at stages when they didn’t really need to.

I really don’t want to give any spoilers to be honest, but i guess in my opinion I feel like it didn’t necessarily show that ignoring issues abroad that affect people from your homeland as a good thing but highlighted the difficulty in finding a balance with keeping out of it and not neglecting any issues, which again, many nations face currently.

The withholding material thing I somewhat agree, but at the same time I guess it touches on the fact that many African countries for a long time, perhaps even now I wouldn’t know I’m not very informed, have been exploited for the valuable resources that are found on our land and in a way I just saw the part of the story that showed that as perhaps an ideal, in that the country was strong enough to fight back in a way that many other countries were not able to when they were colonised and their resources were taken leaving them in situations where they couldnt/can’t economically benefit from the materials they have. It did show an extreme case where the protection of their materials cost lives elsewhere but I think that was part of the superhero thing.

The monarch being expected to procreate is something seen all over the world, something I wouldn’t really see as negative because it’s what is expected, I would have been surprised if it was otherwise. That goes the same for the British monarch as I read someone say above. There was genuine affection between the characters which I personally think takes away the elitist aspect because them being together wasn’t because of their status, it was based on something real. (Sounds v cheesy typing that out but yeah)

I definitely wouldn’t say it is Alt-right as someone also said above I would just say that they are suspect of outside influence which goes back to what I said about the possible fear of colonisation and exploitation that happened to other countries in Africa.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.