Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently was taken onto a job at Starbucks coffee, where I applied for the role of a "barista".

In the first few days, I was placed on the bussing i.e. cleaning, washing up, etc. and figured this was what I was doing for the next three weeks. This was reasonable, however I decided I wasn't going to continue with the job on the second day after...
    - Feeling incredibly patronized by the staff
    - Having 0 help at all (even though there's 6 people at the bar) and, ontop of that, 0 support
    - My back was in severe pain making it harder for me to work (I have coccydynia)
    - Being given only a 10 minute break for lunch, which I have to get myself and was impossible to source.

One key factor that played in was that I've worked as a barista before, behind a bar serving coffees, teas, hot choc, chai latte etc. however this was just ignored as I felt my employment wasn't based on my skill but was just another application from a stack. I can understand that because I was new, I had to start from the bottom but as an A Level student, I specifically stated I could only do weekends yet I was told I had to work the entire half term, leaving no time at all for any work.

At the end of my second day, I put all my bank details into the system - am I still entitled to the £34.65 I worked for, and if this is refused what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Focus on the hours worked; do not lead your argument with the employer to focus on external circumstances (e.g. school requirements, previous back pain, etc.). If you worked the hours, then you are entitled to getting paid those hours. Nothing more.

If you were accidentally shorted, then simply reach out to payroll and request an audit of the hours worked vs. hours paid. Give them a reasonable time to reply, then let's pick up at that stage.

Does this make sense?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Apocalyps)
    Focus on the hours worked; do not lead your argument with the employer to focus on external circumstances (e.g. school requirements, previous back pain, etc.). If you worked the hours, then you are entitled to getting paid those hours. Nothing more.

If you were accidentally shorted, then simply reach out to payroll and request an audit of the hours worked vs. hours paid. Give them a reasonable time to reply, then let's pick up at that stage.

Does this make sense?
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I agree
    I agree
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ShaggerTeer)
    I agree
    Grow up

ReputationRep:

Does this make sense?
    So I went back today, they wiped my details from the payroll system and their first response when I asked was "Are you kidding me?"

I've contacted the company they're run by, 25.8 degrees, and I'm going from there because quite frankly I've already put enough effort into this and I'm not wasting any more time than I have walking in and out of town. The response when I lodged the complaint was that my details shouldn't have been wiped.

With regards to the £40 I am owed, I'm just assuming it's never going to arrive in my bank account. My new tutoring job should be much better though.

ReputationRep:
    By law, a company is required to hold employment and payroll details for a time much longer than a couple months -- I believe it's 3 years. If they're advising "they were wiped", then I would be left to believe they may have been wiped from the local system; however, the owning company should have a back up. If it's not worth your time, then good on you just to move forward; if you want to pursue -- although I agree it wouldn't be worth the £40 -- then you'd have actionable and justified recourse.

Either way, sorry for the headache.

ReputationRep:
    By law, a company is required to hold employment and payroll details for a time much longer than a couple months -- I believe it's 3 years. If they're advising "they were wiped", then I would be left to believe they may have been wiped from the local system; however, the owning company should have a back up. If it's not worth your time, then good on you just to move forward; if you want to pursue -- although I agree it wouldn't be worth the £40 -- then you'd have actionable and justified recourse.

Either way, sorry for the headache.
    Thanks very much for the support. I've just figured it's not worth chasing when I have 3 A Levels to work towards; it takes 1 hour to go in and out of town and owing to my tight schedule there's just no time for it.

Again, thanks very much!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mattrxgan)
    Thanks very much for the support. I've just figured it's not worth chasing when I have 3 A Levels to work towards; it takes 1 hour to go in and out of town and owing to my tight schedule there's just no time for it.

Again, thanks very much!
    So you're going to let a company get away with making you work for free?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    So you're going to let a company get away with making you work for free?
    Thing is A Levels are my priority, and I need to focus on them. I was told I could leave my details and they can pay me in March but I'm just tired of them basically treating me like dirt, so I'm just gonna let the higher authorities do their thing. I'm more pissed off at the fact they had the nerve to treat me the way they did.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thing is A Levels are my priority, and I need to focus on them. I was told I could leave my details and they can pay me in March but I'm just tired of them basically treating me like dirt, so I'm just gonna let the higher authorities do their thing. I'm more pissed off at the fact they had the nerve to treat me the way they did.
    You can still get your money whilst prioritising A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    You can still get your money whilst prioritising A-Levels.
    Only thing is, it's 1 hour minimum to travel to and from town, and given that I've got to make every hour count I'm not prepared to have to put more time and effort into just £40. It stinks, ik, but I'd rather sort it from somewhere I can do my work and revise rather than having to journey in and out of town, which I really think wastes my time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Only thing is, it's 1 hour minimum to travel to and from town, and given that I've got to make every hour count I'm not prepared to have to put more time and effort into just £40. It stinks, ik, but I'd rather sort it from somewhere I can do my work and revise rather than having to journey in and out of town, which I really think wastes my time.
    Remember to take plenty of breaks or you will burn out. Don't be doing work every hour of the day you're awake.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.