Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    Oh, I'm quite sure the Canary are busy penning an article which claims Corbyn was single-handedly negotiating a peace-agreement with the Soviets.
    And Laura Kuenssburg was trying to destroy it via the facist BBC??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew97)
    And Laura Kuenssburg was trying to destroy it via the facist BBC??
    I think you forgot "Zionist".

ReputationRep:
    Bah, they put the feelers out and found he had nothing of interest to contribute. Like his crew, he was always out of the loop on everything and there are good reasons for that. Not even the commies were interested in him, that's the story.

ReputationRep:
    I always enjoy the fingers-in-the-ears play from idiots whenever a verifiable news story comes from a source they don't like.

The fact is that Corbyn's team have basically confirmed the story. They claim he was meeting a 'diplomat' with no idea at all he might be reporting their meetings. But then the best case scenario is that he was exceptionally foolish.
    You mistake my remark about the reliability of the sun for "fingers-in-the-ears play" because I don't actually care if corbyn briefed communist spies in the cold war. The thread caught my eye because it looked interesting then I saw the sun and figured I'd have a joke at the expense of the credibility of the sun. So no this wasn't me going oh well I'm going to ignore all the evidence to say it was because i like corbyn and then support that with a weak argument with a shot at the sun. I will repeat this I do not care if corbyn briefed communist spies or did not brief commmunist spies

ReputationRep:
    You really are using the Mail and Express as examples of reputable sources?
    Really?

ReputationRep:
    They have denied he gave this 'diplomat' any 'privileged' information.

That is far from a full-throated denial of the story.
    So Corbyn met with diplomat 30 years ago and there ain't a shred of evidence to suggest he met with a spy or rather someone who believed to be a spy whom he gave secret information to?

Slow news day? Honestly you don't even believe this yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    Really?
    Aye gotta agree although with me it is a bit of a lose lose situation because I don't trust any news outlets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azraall)
    You mistake my remark about the reliability of the sun for "fingers-in-the-ears play" because I don't actually care if corbyn briefed communist spies in the cold war. The thread caught my eye because it looked interesting then I saw the sun and figured I'd have a joke at the expense of the credibility of the sun. So no this wasn't me going oh well I'm going to ignore all the evidence to say it was because i like corbyn and then support that with a weak argument with a shot at the sun. I will repeat this I do not care if corbyn briefed communist spies or did not brief commmunist spies
    I'm surprised by your honesty.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised by your honesty.
    I'm glad to hear

ReputationRep:
    So Corbyn met with diplomat 30 years ago and there ain't a shred of evidence to suggest he met with a spy or rather someone who believed to be a spy whom he gave secret information to?

Slow news day? Honestly you don't even believe this yourself.
    There is evidence that the 'diplomat' was a spy, which is how Corbyn's name ended up in secret Communist documents as an agent.

But in all honesty, this was the cold war, it is patently obvious that agents of unfriendly governments would be acting for those governments.

ReputationRep:
    Really?
    Ignore the evening standard then.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the evening standard then.
    The Evening Standard is reporting on what Gavin Williamson said about what the Sun reported.

It's not provided any evidence whatsoever with regards to the allegation that this thread has made.

ReputationRep:
    There is evidence that the 'diplomat' was a spy, which is how Corbyn's name ended up in secret Communist documents as an agent.

But in all honesty, this was the cold war, it is patently obvious that agents of unfriendly governments would be acting for those governments.
    Where is that evidence? Where is the evidence that Corbyn knew or thought he was a spy? Where is the evidence that he gave him any secret information at all?

This a nonsense story. Corbyn met a diplomat - that's about the extent of it.

ReputationRep:
    Where is that evidence? Where is the evidence that Corbyn knew or thought he was a spy? Where is the evidence that he gave him any secret information at all?

This a nonsense story. Corbyn met a diplomat - that's about the extent of it.
    Even if that is the extent of it (which I don't accept) the Labour leader having multiple clandestine meetings with the representative of a Soviet-affiliated government is definitely a story.

And if he didn't expect that the 'diplomat' would be reporting back to his masters then he is an even bigger fool than we thought.

ReputationRep:
    The Evening Standard is reporting on what Gavin Williamson said about what the Sun reported.

It's not provided any evidence whatsoever with regards to the allegation that this thread has made.
    Fair enough. May I ask you what do you think Corbyn was doing meeting a Czech diplomat then? (Im not trying to be hostile, I’m just curious)

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. May I ask you what do you think Corbyn was doing meeting a Czech diplomat then? (Im not trying to be hostile, I’m just curious)
    Honestly I don't care, and no one else really does.

Unless there is convincing evidence that he was knowingly briefing a spy (which there isn't), it's a total non story.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I don't care, and no one else really does.

Unless there is convincing evidence that he was knowingly briefing a spy (which there isn't), it's a total non story.
    This is a massive cop out.

Your argument is basically that he's naive as hell. I guess it's believable.

Not to mention, if a Tory minister was found to be having secret meetings with, say, Russian government officials you'd be all over it and you know it.

ReputationRep:

Not to mention, if a Tory minister was found to be having secret meetings with, say, Russian government officials you'd be all over it and you know it.
    Cough’ Priti Patel’ cough.

ReputationRep:

If there was genuine evidence, perhaps. But there isn't and the article you linked provides none. Plus Corbyn was a backbench MP, not a member of the government purporting to act on behalf of the country, like one former Tory Minister...

What secret information is Corbyn supposed to have been giving this guy?

The article is all speculation.

ReputationRep:
    Cough’ Priti Patel’ cough.
    Patel was holding secret meetings, not known to the Prime Minister or Civil Service, in which she was purporting to act on behalf of the UK.

That's very different to this story in which all that has been established is Corbyn, as a backbench MP, met a diplomat.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.