Turn on thread page Beta

Corbyn Briefed Communist Spies in Cold War watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    He spoke to a diplomat 30 years ago. The head of Czech Security forces today denied what you have claimed - https://www.politico.eu/article/jere...-czech-agency/
    It's a complete non story and its no surprise to see the Sun, Mail and Express so keen to try and push it. Much like they all dedicated about 15 pages before the election to pretty much call Corbyn a terrorist.

Let's be honest here for a moment. You don't really care about this do you? You don't really believe it either. You're trying to make this nothing event into a huge deal for political purposes.

As for the polls, sure but demographics are not on your party's side. A huge amount of your support is concentrated amongst the elderly while Labour are increasing support among the young and middle aged at quite a rate.

People really are tired of these rather ridiculous lies and smears that the media is trying to push about him. You're right though, were it not for the media acting like this then he would indeed be further ahead in the polls. Remember the fury about when didn't bow enough?
    It hardly refutes the story, all that article says is that Corbyn thought he was a diplomat. Even so, I find the idea that Corbyn was meeting with this guy with absolutely zero thought as to this person's job and allegiance to a totalitarian state somewhat far fetched.

On the other hand, the 'diplomat' he met has now come forward and alleged that Corbyn was a paid informant!

https://twitter.com/JakubKrupa
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/0...-the-cold-war/

So there are legs in the story yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    So... you don't think it's newsworthy? Or you don't think he's supported some questionable causes? Or you just don't care?
    Its newsworthy for right wing nuts who'll snatch at anything to try to discredit Corbyn.

For normal people, its a non story.

ReputationRep:
    It hardly refutes the story, all that article says is that Corbyn thought he was a diplomat. Even so, I find the idea that Corbyn was meeting with this guy with absolutely zero thought as to this person's job and allegiance to a totalitarian state somewhat far fetched.

On the other hand, the 'diplomat' he met has now come forward and alleged that Corbyn was a paid informant!

There is absolutely no proof.

Again, all that has been established is that Corbyn met a diplomat in the House of Commons. He was allowed to meet a diplomat.

ReputationRep:

Need a bit more than the word of one alleged former spook, but it would be tough on Corbyn if it was proved he was a paid informer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Its newsworthy for right wing nuts who'll snatch at anything to try to discredit Corbyn.

For normal people, its a non story.
    Lol! If you say so comrade.

Honestly, you people can stick your heads in the sand all you like. But when it has emerged the Labour leader was meeting with communist spies in the cold war... I mean... nothing like this has ever happened before. Corbyn would easily be the most anti-western PM we've ever had. It is, like it or not, relevant information.

I'm increasingly convinced there is nothing negative Saint Jeremy could do that would newsworthy in your book?

ReputationRep:
    There is absolutely no proof. You are desperate for there to be a story aren't you? It's not that you believe it, but rather that you just want it to be true.

Again, all that has been established is that Corbyn met a diplomat in the House of Commons.
    Thing is, it fits rather well with everything else we know about his past endeavours. I don't see anything to disbelieve, really.

The spy himself may just be looking for attention, but even the parts of the story which have been confirmed, people have lost their careers for less.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, it fits rather well with everything else we know about his past endeavours. I don't see anything to disbelieve, really.

The spy himself may just be looking for attention, but even the parts of the story which have been confirmed, people have lost their careers for less.
    People have lost their careers for meeting diplomats in the House of Commons and expressing their disapproval for Tory and Republican policies?

I think you're starting to realise this is a nothing story.

ReputationRep:
    People have lost their careers for meeting diplomats in the House of Commons and expressing their disapproval for Tory and Republican policies?

I think you're starting to realise this is a nothing story.
    People have lost their careers for meeting communist spies they did not realise were spies, certainly. Some very famous cases in fact.

But the disconnect between the story and what you're responding to is increasingly vast. It's obvious to anyone with an ounce of impartiality this is much more than just some backbencher mouthing off about the government to a diplomat.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This comes across as little more than a rank attempt at character assassination for what is by all accounts a non-event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    This comes across as little more than a rank attempt at character assassination for what is by all accounts a non-event.
    Not by all accounts, mainly by the accounts of hypocritical Corbyn fans.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not by all accounts, mainly by the accounts of hypocritical Corbyn fans.
    I'm not a Corbyn fan so please explain that one?
    But speaking of 'hypocritical' how about the government ministers who engage in chin wags with Saudi terrorists? Or the Pakistanis? You know the countries that have actively tried to harm the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I'm not a Corbyn fan so please explain that one?
    But speaking of 'hypocritical' how about the government ministers who engage in chin wags with Saudi terrorists? Or the Pakistanis? You know the countries that have actively tried to harm the UK.
    I think I could argue that the Communist countries did not have the UK's best interests at heart...

As much as this is classic whataboutery, I would agree with you that governments of both stripes have been far too emollient to some pretty nasty regimes. But Corbyn isn't going to change that, is he? He's just going to be chummy with different types of nasty regimes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think I could argue that the Communist countries did not have the UK's best interests at heart...

As much as this is classic whataboutery, I would agree with you that governments of both stripes have been far too emollient to some pretty nasty regimes. But Corbyn isn't going to change that, is he? He's just going to be chummy with different types of nasty regimes.
    Did I say they did...? Nope.
    So what if it is? It speaks directly to your argument of his 'hypocrisy'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Did I say they did...? Nope.
    So what if it is? It speaks directly to your argument of his 'hypocrisy'.
    I apologise, I thought you were implying that dealing with the Saudis was worse than supporting communist regimes. While I'm no fan of the former I do think the latter is significantly worse.

ReputationRep:
    People have lost their careers for meeting communist spies they did not realise were spies, certainly. Some very famous cases in fact.

But the disconnect between the story and what you're responding to is increasingly vast. It's obvious to anyone with an ounce of impartiality this is much more than just some backbencher mouthing off about the government to a diplomat.
    It isn't obvious when there's no proof of anything more. It's just certain media outlets speculating.

I also fund it funny that you seem to be implying that you're impartial.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't obvious when there's no proof of anything more. It's just certain media outlets speculating.

I also fund it funny that you seem to be implying that you're impartial.
    I simply cannot see you applying this logic to similar, non-Corbyn cases.

For instance, "Trump and his acolytes may have met Russian diplomats during the election, but we have no absolute proof they conspired to do anything. Anything you say looks suspicious is just conjecture. This is a complete non-story and everyone should just move on."

I'm not saying the cases are identical, but it is categorically not the non-story you are desperate to suggest it is just because we currently fall short of a smoking gun.

ReputationRep:
    I am surprised the Sun ran the story this week. I would have thought they would have saved it up for just before the next general election.

ReputationRep:
    I simply cannot see you applying this logic to similar, non-Corbyn cases.

For instance, "Trump and his acolytes may have met Russian diplomats during the election, but we have no absolute proof they conspired to do anything. Anything you say looks suspicious is just conjecture. This is a complete non-story and everyone should just move on."

I'm not saying the cases are identical, but it is categorically not the non-story you are desperate to suggest it is just because we currently fall short of a smoking gun.
    Actually I do think the Trump Russia things are way overblown. I think the Democrats should focus on winning the next election rather than rerunning the last one.

The current story is a non story and it's quite clear that people are trying to find something to be outraged about.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    As another poster said, this spy was so cunning that he pretended to be a diplomat from that country? And Corbyn was so determined to give him secrets that he met him in the House of Commons?

The article you posted is not the UK observer, its a right wing paper that doesn't like Corbyn and as usual goes for the 'Corbyn is to blame for everything' approach
    You do realise that at the time of was common knowledge that Warsaw pact "diplomats" were actually spies? We also now how the "diplomat" coming out and claiming that Corbyn knew he was a spy, although I'm sure you're going to say the source is the telegraph and so the information is a fabrication

Jeremy Corbyn knew I was a spy and was a Cold War source, says Czech 'diplomat'*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...e_AqNYhS14PWty
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I find it ironic that the media outlets cheerleading this story are the ones that tell their readers to vote for the current Conservative government. That is the very same Conservative government that has no qualms about being very cozy with the authoritarian, Islamic terrorism-funding Saudi Arabian regime.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You do realise that at the time of was common knowledge that Warsaw pact "diplomats" were actually spies? We also now how the "diplomat" coming out and claiming that Corbyn knew he was a spy, although I'm sure you're going to say the source is the telegraph and so the information is a fabrication

Jeremy Corbyn knew I was a spy and was a Cold War source, says Czech 'diplomat'*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...e_AqNYhS14PWty
    There are some really good accounts of the intelligence game that was played out in Europe during the Cold War. You should read them. Then you will realise how ridiculous an article stating Corbyn was "rated number one in Moscow" because he once handed a guy some newspaper cuttings sounds.

I'm no fan of Corbyn, but this really is clutching at extremely small straws.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.