Turn on thread page Beta

Student finance on an Ancestry visa watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I have been living the the UK for over three years on an Ancestry visa and will be able to apply for citizenship September next year. I have applied to study here under the impression I would be a home student. Could someone please clarify if I would be eligible for a student loan? I have also read that a student loan is not classified as public funds.

Thank you
    Nikita
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by nikita.deering)
    Hi Guys,

I have been living the the UK for over three years on an Ancestry visa and will be able to apply for citizenship September next year. I have applied to study here under the impression I would be a home student. Could someone please clarify if I would be eligible for a student loan? I have also read that a student loan is not classified as public funds.

Thank you
    Nikita
    Please ask ask SFE on this forum.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

My understanding is that you will not be a home student as you are neither a UK or EU citizen. What nationality are you at the moment?

The key is that you need settled status i.e you can stay here as long as you like, but your ancestry visa does not allow that, but is limited to 5 years, although it can be extended.

Student loan eligibility requires settled status and that you are a citizen of the UK or EU in most cases. For these reasons i dont believe you will be eligible for home fee status or student loan assistance.

I believe student loans are public funds because they come from the government.

If you get citizenship or indefinite leave to remain plus also stay in the country, then you will have settled status, then you can be classed as a home student and seek a student loan for fees and maintenance.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.