Student finance on an Ancestry visa Watch

nikita.deering
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi Guys,

I have been living the the UK for over three years on an Ancestry visa and will be able to apply for citizenship September next year. I have applied to study here under the impression I would be a home student. Could someone please clarify if I would be eligible for a student loan? I have also read that a student loan is not classified as public funds.

Thank you
Nikita
999tigger
  • Very Important Poster
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by nikita.deering)
Hi Guys,

I have been living the the UK for over three years on an Ancestry visa and will be able to apply for citizenship September next year. I have applied to study here under the impression I would be a home student. Could someone please clarify if I would be eligible for a student loan? I have also read that a student loan is not classified as public funds.

Thank you
Nikita
Please ask ask SFE on this forum.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

My understanding is that you will not be a home student as you are neither a UK or EU citizen. What nationality are you at the moment?

The key is that you need settled status i.e you can stay here as long as you like, but your ancestry visa does not allow that, but is limited to 5 years, although it can be extended.

Student loan eligibility requires settled status and that you are a citizen of the UK or EU in most cases. For these reasons i dont believe you will be eligible for home fee status or student loan assistance.

I believe student loans are public funds because they come from the government.

If you get citizenship or indefinite leave to remain plus also stay in the country, then you will have settled status, then you can be classed as a home student and seek a student loan for fees and maintenance.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (1014)
90.29%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (109)
9.71%

Watched Threads